Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: 2 users 1 network router  (Read 2073 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
2 users 1 network router
« on: 16 Mar 2012, 02:40:52 »
Can 2 computers connect to the internet through the same router and play online multiplayer as seperate users on the same server when 2 seperate copies are used?

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
Re: 2 users 1 network router
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2012, 09:10:47 »
I believe it is possible with some games (I've seen it done), but not possible in others. I haven't tried doing it with any of the BIS games so I'm not sure if they fit into the 'yes' category or the 'no' category.
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2012, 17:40:47 »
I believe it is possible, at least I have had a laptop and this desctop PC side by side running the same MP test mission through the same router (desktop PC was also running the server).

The again I don't understand the MP side of things at all so it might not have been a real dedi server situation.. :P
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline j0e

• Members
    • j0e's home
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2012, 16:20:25 »
From the point of the net protocols, yes, they can.  :yes:
Each client connects through the NAT with an unique link to the server, but of course will be seen with the same source-IP, that is the router's one.
It's the typical situation of a LAN with access to the internet.

Anyway, as Gruntage wrote, a (generic) game could decide to disallow multiple connections from the same IP.

Speaking about OFP/Arma, the 2 computers will be logged as Player/ID/GUID (that haven't relationship with IP) and so will play regularly.

:good: