Advertisement

Author Topic: [sp] (20XX) A cold day in hell  (Read 1896 times)

Offline mrmoon

• Members
[sp] (20XX) A cold day in hell
« on: 28 Dec 2011, 19:41:21 »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(20XX) A cold day in hell
By mr moon

Description:Infiltrate deep behind enemy lines on a solo demolition operation, destroy enemy air defences and assasinate a Russian officer.

Note: Has not been tested in 'cold war assault'

Features:
Intro/outro
Custom music and sound
Snow effects (whoo!)
Gruelling atmosphere
And lots lots more

Required addons:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21512434/%40winterofp.rar

Download mission:http://www.gamefront.com/files/21512164/coldayinhell.rar

Known bugs: There are a number of minor visual bugs with the island these are sadly beyond my control, however it is still very much playable and 99% of the time you will not notice them.
Occasionally the tank crew standing on the t80 falls through the tank but usually corects himself once you get a little closer.
Sometimes the shilka gets stuck moving out of the barn and creates an anoying noise.

edit:
fixed up some of the links, will do the rest once I've checked the mission.sqm
some required addons are available on given pages ~ Denz
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2012, 01:10:03 by mrmoon »

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [sp] (20XX) A cold day in hell
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2012, 05:18:23 »
Megaupload has been shut down and so you will have to re-upload your mission to another site. Try Gamefront.

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2012, 22:10:08 »
Ok Ive reuploaded it to game front.  :good:

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2012, 11:22:06 »
Hey MrMoon, most of your addon links end dead, would you care to fix them?

Cheers

Mathias

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2012, 18:00:44 »
Ok that should be everything updated now sorry for the delay.

Offline Gruntage

• How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2012, 23:44:00 »
I'll hopefully be giving this a run through this weekend. Sorry for the delay, been a bit snowed under with college work.

EDIT: Downloaded the mission and all of its addons, but I got several missing addon errors when I started the mission. I would seriously consider losing some of those addons. A little piece of advice: players will often not download a mission if it has too many addons, particularly if the addons are used are awkward to install. The winter pack addon for example, has a dozen addons in it and I have no idea which ones you used.

I've fallen into the trap myself of using so many addons to try and enhance the gameplay, but in most cases it does the opposite. So, I'm gonna suggest that you remove some of the addons. I would also consider using a different island. I've used that island before now and it's one of the worst islands I've played on (quite glitchy, textures not applied very well, very laggy at times).

My apologies for not giving much constructive feedback. But it was very frustrating to have error msgs thrown at me despite having installed all of the addons. In the end, admittedly I gave up and uninstalled them all. I will go so far as to say that probably the reason why no-one has given this a beta test yet is because of the heavy addon usage.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2012, 10:24:46 by Gruntage »
Some of the most memorable missions made involve the player doing very little...

"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2012, 22:51:08 »
Yes you are right the island I used turned out to be a bad choice and is one of the main reasons I am no longer working on this.
I'm gonna do what I wanted to do in the first place and just upload the mod folder I used I've mucked about with this a bit and the mission (in the name of god!) should work with this in your ofp folder.
Create a shortcut to the mod folder and ignore the error message you get when you load it.

If someone could just confirm that the mission works with this rather large (200mb) modfolder installed I can fudge this project off happier then when I first put the mission up.

I'm sorry for the massive run around I just hope this works otherwise I have no idea whats causing the problem I rushed this through a little trying to get in time for the boh forum mission contest and it got 2nd or 3rd place or 7 out of 10 so I feel it could be worth a go.

Mod folder download.
(files take a lil while to appear on game front so might not be up straight away)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21412338/%40winterofp.rar
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2012, 22:59:10 by mrmoon »

Offline Gruntage

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2012, 00:10:07 »
Don't worry too much about the island issue. Relocating your mission to another island is not as big a task as it may appear at first glance. Some good winter islands include Winter Nogojev, Kodiac and winter kolgujev.

I'll download the mod folder asap and give some feedback on the mission as it is at the moment.
Some of the most memorable missions made involve the player doing very little...

"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2012, 01:56:51 »
Cheers mate Im pretty sure it will work this time.

Offline Gruntage

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2012, 21:38:24 »
Ok, I re-downloaded the mission and used the addons inside the mod folder. Unfortunately though I still got a couple of error messages. But these did not stop the mission from progressing.

I got a missing addon error when I started up the game, and another when the mission loaded (which prevented the intro from running). So I decided to depbo the mission and place it in the editor and run it from there. I also checked the sqm for any 'ghost' addons (addons that make their way into the sqm even when they're not used). I could not find any at a glance.

So, I was able to play the intro and part of the mission.

Intro

The intro had some smooth camera angles, and a good choice of music. The objectives were also outlined well; not too much info, not too little. I think the intro could use some custom text, rather than the standard text. But, this is not a necessity, the intro runs fine as it is atm (except ofc for the missing addon error, which was the 'kegwsoldierg36a'. I've seen this prob in another mission that uses winter troops).

Briefing

The briefing was laid out neatly, and provides good information for the tasks ahead. I don't know how much silenced weaponry was provided with the LSR weap addon, but it would have been nice to have given the player a gear choice (personally I prefer BIS's bizon  ;))

Mission

Unfortunately, about 5 minutes into the mission my game crashed to desktop and I was unable to continue (I have no idea what may have caused that). The atmosphere from what I saw was very good indeed. The battle sounds in the distance were a nice touch, good job! But, when I approached the barn my game crashed. I tried running the mission again and I was met with the same problem. It could be a problem with the addons, or the island perhaps.

Outro

Didn't reach the outro unfortunately. I didn't want to view the outro without playing the mission first.

Overview

Good picture, very inviting. The text is good as well. I think you need to put a fullstop after '20XX' though. But, it's a good overview. May also be worth putting in the version number somewhere in order to avoid confusion.

Overall

This mission has a LOT of potential. Atmosphere is the key aspect of a mission like this, and this mission already has a lot of that. But, there are a few problems that need addressing:

- Firstly, the island choice (this is my opinion ofc). I would seriously go for another island like I said. The winter aspect is good, so I would keep that. Might be worth checking one of the islands I mentioned earlier.

- Secondly, the addons. Again, like I said, this mission is addon heavy and already the problems of this are beginning to show. We all want to have loads of special addons that enhance gameplay and add new features, but you gotta know when to stop lol  :D. I've seen some very good missions made using only a couple of addons, so a 1st class mission does not necessarily need tonnes of addons. So, I would try getting rid of some of those addons. The winter pack namely. I had to adandon one of my old missions (based on a winter island) because the testers (not on ofpec, this was a while back) kept getting 'missing addon' errors, and it seemed that the winter addons at the time was the culprit.

- The CTD. I have no idea what caused that crash, but my guess is that if the addon usage is cut down then the problem would disappear.

- Once these little issues have been sorted out, then I think we could have a very good mission here.

Hope this helps. Happy editing  :D

Gruntage
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2012, 21:41:58 by Gruntage »

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2012, 23:55:04 »
Thanks very much for your review, sorry you could only play 5 mins worth  :(

Most likely it is either the winter addons or the map itself causing the problems, although it still works fine enough on my pc  :(
Sooner or later depending on my shrinking time restrictions I will try to remake this with your recomendations and hopefully using my own tailor made addons.
Ive made a short video showing a small section of the gameplay.

Notice the trees sticking out of the ground (I actually began this mission using a newer version of the winter addon and I thought this version would have less bugs on this island, how wrong I was  >:( )

Also notice me making a couple of dumb mistakes while playing my own mission lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJL0u8HD8M&feature=youtu.be

Hmm I fear my next mission which is also addon heavy (many of them my own modifications) may cause me even more problems  :confused:
http://chaosad20xx.blogspot.com/p/garden-of-death-wip.html

Offline Denz

« Reply #11 on: 05 Apr 2012, 14:41:28 »
Hey MrMoon, are you still working on this one and/or wanting a beta test done? If so can you reupload the mission somewhere and I'll take it for a spin.
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr 2012, 01:11:18 »
Have updated the links at top of the page hope it works for you as it seems some are able to play and some are not, still no idea what exaclty the problem is as Im not working on this version anymore.

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 06 Apr 2012, 02:32:44 »
Wait. You are no longer going to work on this mission, or just not the currently posted version of this mission?

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr 2012, 07:18:59 »
The currently posted version of this mission, any future version of this mission will be done on a diffrent island with several addon changes.

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:44:07 »
I see. So basically the same story and characters but different location. All clear now, sorry.

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2012, 19:47:20 »
As your other mission on the board, this one also suffers from a missing download link please re-upload your addons and mission file.

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2012, 23:57:37 »
Hi guys Ive been offline for a little while but will reupload this and garden of death tommorow hopefully.

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2012, 22:30:07 »
How about an updated changelog on the first post for this one along with new addon and mission file links?

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2012, 00:23:19 »
Hmm Im really not happy with this mission the way it is but have decided to get back to work on it how about some wip pics for new version?

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:56:33 »
Hey mrmoon,

how's the progress with your mission? Can we expect an update soon?

Cheers

Mathias

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2012, 22:19:09 »
I began making some new addons (modern/near future Russians and GR:FS looking SAS aswell as some vehicles and Russian sailors) but the work load along with my life is all too much to juggle around right now.         
And after I have found the time to finish the garden of death I am considering defecting to ghost recon.

Not sure, would love to finish this but at the end of the day only a handfull of people are likely going to play it :/

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2013, 01:50:06 »
Hi just to let you know I am still working on this and the garden of death.  :scratch:

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2014, 02:39:57 »
Does your moving on mean you'll be abandoning this one as well? Hate to see ya go. Truly. You can find time to edit here and there, I know you can. No rush. I've been chipping away at my project and the cursed savegame bug for nearly 5 years already. Good things take time.

Offline mrmoon

• Members
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:07:35 »
Ok well I have not yet found it in me to uninstall ofp yet so you never know I may get chance here and there.