Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.5  (Read 12007 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.1
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jan 2012, 22:21:48 »
Try using the fired event handler attached to the player and his group that executes a script that first checks for a condition of distance to opfor units or presence within a trigger, which then exits the script or continues based on that condition. You can then change behavior, switch waypoints, call in reinforcements or whatever.

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.1
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2012, 19:10:58 »
Try using the fired event handler attached to the player and his group that executes a script that first checks for a condition of distance to opfor units or presence within a trigger, which then exits the script or continues based on that condition. You can then change behavior, switch waypoints, call in reinforcements or whatever.
Thanks for the tip, I've got that part sorted now. It was a lot easier than I thought it would have been. AI behavior is now quite realistic and I'm happy with it. This version is almost complete now, all I need to do is that voice acting and voice editing. Will do those myself tomorrow, expect a new version very soon.

EDIT: I think I'll extend the intro and outro a bit to get a proper prologue and conclusion to the story. So the new version might not be finished so soon after all...

EDIT2: So, the mission's finally ready for deployment. I've attached the latest version to the first post, as always.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2012, 17:06:28 by janat »
If you need a composer for your project, contact me.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.2 (final?)
« Reply #17 on: 09 Feb 2012, 05:00:22 »
Played version 1.2 with Arma2 CO on regular

Overview
I feel an image of the action in game without the night vision green may help to sell the mission better. Perhaps an explosion in the background or spotlight lighting up an alley with the team positioned at it's access point or a streetlamp illuminating the back drop as the team crosses the road. Otherwise, the overview is decent but as mentioned in my earlier post, lacks quality.

Intro
The leader and his dialogue was a bit much and a bit too fast. It sounded like a very quiet, run on sentence. You may consider breaking that sentence into two. The other scenes had fine camera angles but the timing had issues.

Briefing
Much better read. But you still fail to offer enough ammo for the G36.

Mission
Since I covered this quite well in the previous version, I won't waste a whole lot of time elaborating on my tactics. I did attempt this several ways though. I'll highlight the things that made me dislike the experience.

First, the revive script proved frustrating and yet beneficial in one way. It was frustrating because when I was shot, I would lie on my back squirming like a turtle while the AI cleared the threats, calculated their path finding and pretty much took their sweet time, getting to me. This feature should be reserved for multiplayer scenarios where human behavior compliments the feature. It was beneficial because it allowed me to help my team when they were shot. The only happy compromise I think we would be something like Clayman incorporated into his Zero mission. It was a bleeding script which allowed the player to continue to function until he either bled out from his neglect of tending the wound or perform first aid to stop the bleeding. in any case, the revive script is not very effective for SP scenarios where the player's team mates must calculate complex path finding to move through dense urban structures and objects. If you keep the revive, you may also consider placing the doctor under it when he joins the players group.

Second, the spotlights were fantastic for moving without night vision. But once you lowered your NV goggles, the cones of light would penetrate through objects and essentially cause the night vision to be blinding, even though the spotlight was on the opposite side of structures. You may want to consider either removing the spotlights, disabling the AI so that they remained focus on specific firing lanes or place them above the action in towers, on catwalks, elevated platforms, etc. so that the player can disable them with his rifle. Just a thought.

Third, the amount of lite armored vehicles may be too high for the player to effectively combat with his limited loadout. Aside from that, the AI teammates have no fear of them and do not know how to hide from them quickly so any engagement will turn into a blood bath.

Fourth, The amount of savegames you have placed are overkill and potentially ruin the mission because they may occur at the least opportune time, which it did for me in my last play test. I crested a hill after planting the explosive charge and was brought down by one of those many lite armored vehicles. My team was in a column right behind me and when I went down, the game saved at that moment. My team walked right into the firing lane of that waiting armor vehicle as they tried to medic me. I stopped there. All you have to do is add a repeating trigger which allows the player to save at his time of choosing.

The mission was still fun and not frustrating except for the revive and that one savegame that I just knew would happen some time or later.

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.2 (final?)
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:22:09 »
Thanks again for feedback.

The leader and his dialogue was a bit much and a bit too fast. It sounded like a very
quiet, run on sentence. You may consider breaking that sentence into two. The other
scenes had fine camera angles but the timing had issues.
Could you specify which parts of the intro had timing issues? I don't really see any no matter how many times I play the intro.

Much better read. But you still fail to offer enough ammo for the G36.
For some reason the game doesn't automatically add ammo to it, but it should be compatible with M4 ammo. And you have plenty of it. But I'll think about adding G36 ammo.

The Vodniks shouldn't be hard to blow up, if you grabbed AT weapons. But maybe two of them is too much, have to try replacing one with a UAZ...

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.3
« Reply #19 on: 03 Mar 2012, 17:11:56 »
I finished version 1.3 of this mission. In my tests I found no issues. I'd like you to review this mission should you find no bugs or game stopping issues.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2012, 15:46:04 »
I completed the 1.3 version. A nice mission with great cinema and polished looking overview / briefing / loadscreen. Noticed few small issues - voices are low voiced in intro and outro, outro ended without proper sound/picture fade out, briefing dont have ammo for MAAWS and M4A3's (without silencer) and music cut to next track when entering the city and when finishing the sabotage task.

Else nice action throught the mission. Not too hard or easy.

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2012, 15:06:37 »
Thanks for playing the mission!

I didn't notice low voices in intro and outro, I actually thought they were spot on, but maybe the levels will be considerably higher in the next version. I'm using headphones, maybe that's why I have no problem hearing the voices?

There is ammo for MAAWS (HEDP ammo). However, you may have to manually add it to your inventory. As for M4A3 ammo, you can still use silenced ammo in non-silenced weapon. But, maybe I should add normal ammo as well.

I'll see what I can do about other minor issues.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2012, 15:38:22 »
I also play with headphones, but I have bad hearing. Currently I can barely hear the voices. Still I think the voices are low voiced when compared to ingame radios and other effects.

Looks like I failed to spot the HEDP ammo. No problem with that weapon then. :-[

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #23 on: 16 Mar 2012, 20:21:16 »
Janat, I also played this through (1.3) and didn't find any bug. Good work!

One thing however you could do: When the player uses the action to sabotage the power plant, remove the action immediately at this moment. Not after the animation is played. It could be that some players are not sure if the action was executed and might use the action again (don't know what happens then - apart from launching the sabotage script again).
So removing the action right away would make it clear.

Good job too with the spawning groups on the way to the evac point. Only once I think I caught a group that was pretty suspicious (I mean - suddenly it was very near). The other groups came and tried to attack from the distance. Which was pretty tenseful. :)

I didn't check the voices in the outro but I think that they were ok - for me at least.

Thanks!
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.4
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2012, 18:42:34 »
Undeceived, that's a good point. In version 1.4 the sabotage action gets removed as soon as player uses the action. Also, I took time to make sure spawning groups wouldn't be too obvious. Nice to hear it somewhat works :)

Version 1.4 is now ready, you can find the download link in the first post!

Changes from v1.3 to v1.4
- Added unsilenced M4A3 ammo
- Improved handling of music tracks
- Script improvements
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2012, 18:44:36 by janat »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2012, 22:25:33 »
I found no problems with the 1.4 except the outro still ends with snap. You could make it more smooth with code like this:
Code: [Select]
titlecut ["","black out",4];
4 fadeMusic 0;
4 fadeSound 0;
sleep 4;
_camera cameraeffect ["terminate", "back"];
camdestroy _camera;
VarToEndTheCutscene=true;

The way to evac point is definitely nice. On the first try, hell broke loose in forest. Now on second try I followed road and suprised them standing at campfire. :) Good mission, I am ready to review this once you think the mission is ready.

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2012, 08:28:46 »
Great, now I just have to do some more tests to ensure it works at all times, in any condition. :) But there's this one thing bothering me...

Quote from: SaOk
I found no problems with the 1.4 except the outro still ends with snap. You could make
it more smooth with code like this
I have a similar code at the end of the outro, and every time I  play the outro in the editor it fades to black and stays black.  For four full seconds, and then the outro ends. The music fades out, too. Do you have any mods running  which could somehow conflict with the effects? Also, are you running some beta patch?

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2012, 10:37:31 »
hello Janat been out of the game for years,, but what about ending with showcredits. i havnt played ur beta yet, or any others, yours looks pretty enticing :)

Semper Fi

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2012, 13:47:46 »
Sorry, my mistake. The picture and music fade out good, but sound dosent. You need to have this code for it:
Code: [Select]
4 fadeSound 0;

Offline janat

• Missions Depot Staff
Re: (MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.5
« Reply #29 on: 28 Mar 2012, 15:13:04 »
You're right. Fixed that in version 1.5, which is available for download. There isn't much new in 1.5, just fixed the outro and added a couple civilian cars. This version is the public release version, and I'd like you to review it.  :)