Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: MEC 2011  (Read 22471 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
MEC 2011
« on: 01 Jul 2011, 04:23:37 »
Yes, that's right folks: OFPEC The Editing Center in cooperation with Bohemia Interactive Studios is officially announcing its next Mission Editing Competition! This contest will challenge editors to focus their skills on creating a fully immersive mission that draws the player in and leaves them thirsting for more.

The Rules
  • The entry must be constructed from any of the the Arma 2 titles
  • All Community members are welcome
  • Each entry must be single-player, single mission, and contain a proper Overview, Briefing and cinematic Intro and Outro
  • You may submit more than one entry
  • Only missions that have not yet been released by 30 June 2011 are eligible for entry! (includes Beta releases)
  • All entries MUST contain a Readme file in the download, crediting content from others, be it original or modified scripts etc. Failure to disclose or deliberate false representation is automatic disqualification
  • Community addons are welcome, up to 1 GB. That's an upper limit, NOT a minimum limit! If you think a vanilla unit/island can do the job instead of an addon, go with vanilla. Only use addons if you really feel it is necessary and adds to the experience!
  • No automatically/globally activated mods, e.g. AI mods, sound mods. Feel free to suggest using them, but do not make it a requirement (judging will be done without the mods loaded)
  • No Total Conversion Mods, e.g. ACE, SLX. Feel free to make them compatible or optional, but not required (judging will be done without the mods loaded)
  • You will be penalized for mistakes the addon maker has made! If the addon throws up error messages, causes havoc in the .rpt, is unoptimized, ugly, sounds bad or doesn't work properly, this will reflect in your score. So choose wisely if you decide to use addons!

The Deadline
The competition begins today, 1st July 2011, 00:00 GMT with a deadline of 1st September 2011, 00:00 GMT. Entries submitted after this time will not be accepted.

The Judging
The entries will be judged by a panel of four anonymous Community members. The categories entries will be judged on are as follows:

• Originality - How fresh and creative the mission is
  • Immersion - How captivating the mission is
  • Technical framework - How well the mission design works
  • Replayability - How freely the player can adopt his own tactics
  • Overall - How the mission fits together as a whole
All entries that are found complete and free of bugs will be uploaded to OFPEC's Mission Depot Archives to stand alongside the greats from the past.

The Prizes
You'll be competing for prizes provided to us by Bohemia Interactive Studios.

1st Place
Arma2 : Reinforcements and an Arma2 backpack

2nd Place
Arma2:OA tshirt, Arma2 wallet and a Takistan or Chernarus map

3rd Place
Arma2:OA tshirt and a Takistan or Chernarus map

Entry Submission
Judging will not begin until September 2nd, 2011 after all entries are in. We encourage you to ensure that your mission is well tested for errors or flaws which could potentially affect your score. If you are certain that your mission has been thoroughly tested BUT NEVER RELEASED PUBLICLY BEFORE JUNE 30th, 2011 in any beta form and meets all contest requisites you may send a link for download via Private message to either mathias_eichinger or savedbygrace. We will accept your mission as a final version only and you will not be able to submit an update. So please triple check your efforts before submission.
If you are unsure of how to upload your mission for download, visit a file host such as GameFront.com and sign up for a free membership. You will then be allowed to upload your mission for others to download. Once you have a link, simply paste that link in a private message to one of the admins above.

The Drawline
There has been cause for concern regarding our drawing line of acceptable missions. We at OFPEC know well, the time it takes to invest into a proper mission so you're not alone in your feelings. It's a very difficult decision because we agree with much of what has been stated but we have to draw a line somewhere. If we were to allow missions from any time frame, then folks would be digging up their old missions as entries. The purpose of this contest it to not only show the community what a complete mission package should look like but to also generate more of those missions for future example and enjoyment. Aside from that, you could look at this contest as just that...a contest to test the experience that you've gained as an editor to see just what you CAN release in 60 days time. So in answer to this concern, we must adhere to the current rule.

This thread should be used to discuss any subject matter related to the competition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEC 2011 Participation in Order of Ranking

All entries were judged based on their condition at the time of deadline.

• SaOk submitted Takibans Last Stand
    Required: Arma2CO. No other addons.
  • clayman submitted Zero
    Required: Arma2CO. Other addons: CLAY_ZeroAddons.pbo
  • janat submitted Cut The Power
    Required: Arma2CO.
  • DOA submitted Operation Troublemaker
    Required: ArmA 2: CO/PMC/BAF v159. No other addons.
  • maxjoiner submitted A Long Night Of Terror
    Required: Arma2CO? No other addons.
  • yogdogz submitted Hunting Akbar Hoto
    Required: Arma2CO? Other addons?
  • Trenchfeet submitted Early Strike
    Required: Arma2CO/BAF/PMC.
                   Mando Missiles
                   MAP_EU_V1.00
                   MIG15
                   Mr. Murray's Compositions
                   JTD Fire and smoke(optional)
                   F16
                   GLT MissileBox 3.4
                   GLT Real Air Weapons 1.0
                   Community Based Addons
  • eliahu2005 submitted Anti Hero
    Required: Arma2CO/BAF/PMC. No other addons.
  • eliahu2005 submitted Surprise Welcome
    Required: Arma2CO. No other addons.
  • yogdogz submitted Leave No Man Behind
    Required: Arma2CO? Other addons?
  • eliahu2005 submitted PassOver                                   DISQUALIFIED; success end trigger fails .
    Required: ArmA 2. No other addons
  • Mopar submitted EvolutionSP                                      DISQUALIFIED for exceeding addon limit
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2012, 07:18:51 by savedbygrace »

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
Re: MEC 2011
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2011, 23:24:40 »
Good idea!
 :good:
But the only question I have is why restricting competition to single player missions only?  ???
(perhaps the answer is why do I only edit coop missions?!)

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2011, 23:30:36 »
SP missions are easier to organizing testing for. :)

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jul 2011, 00:03:17 »
You can still enter a coop/MP mission just make sure it's equally playable in SP.
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline Jedra

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jul 2011, 14:29:55 »
Hi,

Can this be a SP Campaign?

Regards
Jedra

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jul 2011, 19:08:36 »
Negative. It must be a single mission.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jul 2011, 19:31:36 »
Hi,

Regards
Jedra

Besides, with a campaign you won't have time to focus on one single quality experience as opposed to several. A quality mission made in just 3 months is hard enough - a campaign is pretty unimaginable!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Mopar

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jul 2011, 02:12:34 »
I have a mission to submit for MEC, what link to i email it to....

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jul 2011, 07:25:56 »
Judging will not begin until September 2nd, 2011 after all entries are in. We encourage you to ensure that your mission is well tested for errors or flaws which could potentially affect your score. If you are certain that your mission has been thoroughly tested BUT NEVER RELEASED PUBLICLY BEFORE JUNE 30th, 2011 in any beta form and meets all contest requisites you may send a link for download via Private message to either mathias_eichinger or myself. We will accept your mission as a final version only and you will not be able to submit an update. So please triple check your efforts before submission.

Offline Jedra

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jul 2011, 20:57:10 »
Hi,

Regards
Jedra

Besides, with a campaign you won't have time to focus on one single quality experience as opposed to several. A quality mission made in just 3 months is hard enough - a campaign is pretty unimaginable!

Wolfrug out.

Fair enough!  I have a campaign I am working on that would probably be ready in time - that's why I asked.  Plan B then!

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2011, 20:29:48 »
According to the rules:

The entry must be constructed from any of the the Arma 2 titles

but has the mission to be compatible with any of ArmA 2 versions, that is, ArmA 2 vanilla, Operation Arrowhead, or Combined Ops, or can be restritected to Combined Ops only (if I use contents from both the games then Combined Ops will be required)?
How can you shoot women and children?
Easy! Ya' just don't lead'em so much! Ain't war hell?!!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2011, 13:11:36 »
Whichever: all the judges have Arma 2: CO, so we'll be able to play it if it's A2-only, OA-only or CO. Personally, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't go CO: that's the "standard" of A2 mission/addon making these days anyway (a bit like OFP:R became the standard for OFP, despite OFP:R being an expansion). :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline maxjoiner

• Members
  • I love ArmA2 Editor
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2011, 14:20:08 »
Hi all, I'm new in this forum but not in ArmA's world.
I have a doubt , after sending my mission for MEC to mathias_eichinger or savedbygrace can I publish it on other ArmA site?  ???

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2011, 16:02:12 »
Yes.

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:37:24 »
Whichever: all the judges have Arma 2: CO, so we'll be able to play it if it's A2-only, OA-only or CO. Personally, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't go CO: that's the "standard" of A2 mission/addon making these days anyway (a bit like OFP:R became the standard for OFP, despite OFP:R being an expansion). :)

Wolfrug out.

I am doing it for CO, I just wanted to be sure it is acceptable, I wouldn't like to throw away 1 month of work
How can you shoot women and children?
Easy! Ya' just don't lead'em so much! Ain't war hell?!!

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:13:36 »
I have two questions:

1. Can the mission be packed as an addon, similar to the original missions.pbo? I had made some small config tweaks for editing reasons, and I think it would be easier to have an "all-in-one" solution. Or is it better to have separate "mission" and "addon" .pbo's?

2. I think in the last mission editing competition, the missions had to be "anonymous" with the only reference to the author being the readme. How is this handled this time? The rules don't say anything about this, so can the mission itself contain any kind of info about the creator, like credits in intro / outro, tag'd .pbo name etc.?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2011, 22:58:00 »
The mission must be it's own pbo, no addons included.

Please make sure you are granted permission to change addon configs, giving credit where due. Otherwise, your submission will not qualify.

We are confident that the judging will be based on the final results and not your name. However, human preferences will always factor in to some degree.

Good luck!