Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SCUD Launch tutorial  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
SCUD Launch tutorial
« on: 26 Aug 2009, 20:38:08 »
Description

I didn't see any tutorials on how to launch SCUD's missile on Editors Depot tutorial section.
Some guests usually wont look for that kind of tutorial after Editors Depot. Same might happen if some member is in a hurry.  So I decided to make this tutorial.
This tutorial is about launching missiles from SCUDs and actually hitting something. Most already know that missile from SCUD in OFP is just for good look. Nothing more. This tutorial will explain how to make illusion that SCUDs have actually launched their missiles at someone or something.

OFP version

I believe any OFP should be able to run this script.
But, anyways it was made in OFP GOTY 1.96.

Known Bugs

Mysterious Missing Addon.

What is the use of this?

Well, can make some good moments in your mission (like cutscenes) like player returning to his commander after reconnaissance mission and then commander ordering launch of SCUDs and then camera pans at targets just before they are destroyed.... Got the idea ;)?

Specific test(s) required

I would like to see if this works in early versions of OFP and if it works in multiplayer.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for beta testing.

« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2009, 18:09:29 by Krieg »
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: SCUD Launch tutorial
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2009, 23:28:32 »
This is a good tutorial, but the demo mission should be packaged whole rather than just the mission.sqm and script, especially since it tells me I'm missing an addon.

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 08:16:35 »
Thank you for response, bedges.

But, I do not understand.... Which addon? I used only official BIS ones, aka Bizon and BMP2. Maybe thing that I edited mission.sqm itself is causing the problem? It used to be this:

Code: [Select]
version=11;
class Mission
{
addOns[]=
{
"bis_resistance",
"BMP2",
"Bizon"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
"Bizon",
"BMP2",
"bis_resistance"

But I deleted "bis_resistance" (I used resistance soundtrack in mission first, then used original OFP ones), because I wanted to avoid addon problem on earlier OFP versions.
What addon you are missing?
Anyways, I will pack up the mission hopefully making it "runnable".

Edit: Uploaded new one. I kept the script just in case someone wants to see it. Includes mission in .pbo package now. Note that in this version I did not edit mission.sqm at all. Demo mission will now work without addon error only in OFP Resistance or OFP GOTY Edition.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2009, 08:35:26 by Krieg »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2009, 21:32:02 »
Apologies, I didn't explain very well. When I said 'packaged' I didn't mean as a .pbo, rather as the mission editor folder, i.e. SCUD_launch.Intro. That way users can drop the demo mission into their mission folder without any hassle, and can see the mission setup in the editor.

I took the liberty of repackaging your tute to OFPEC standards and amended the demo mission slightly.

One suggestion I would make is in the instructions you give in the tutorial. Placing a marker over the target to provide its coordinates is a wee bit redundant when you can give the target itself a name, especially if the target might be a moving vehicle. If it's a static object, perhaps an object already on the map, then a marker might be more appropriate - assuming you didn't want to use the object's ID number.

Also, while Chris' Script Editor is a good tool, it's not required for this tutorial. Be sure to make that clear in case noobs think they need it to launch a SCUD...

Otherwise I think it's a good, clear, step-by-step tutorial. Good work  :good:
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2009, 08:43:30 by bedges »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:41:25 »
Well, thank you bedges. I did try to name tanks themselves a target, but bombs would always drop into random spot at sea. I guess that other, your SCUD.sqs script solves that one.
Well, mine one is good for starters. Your "modified" is good for others with little bit more experience.
Well, this is my first resource, so thank you for showing me how to pack it up in OFPEC standard!

Sorry for waiting, new version is uploaded.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2009, 18:10:22 by Krieg »

Offline Aldo15

• OFP-addict
  • Former Staff
    • My OFP missions
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2011, 18:10:32 »
Hey! I wanted to test this tutorial, but I can't dowload, I think the file is damaged. where Can I find a tutorial about how to launch a scud?

I want that the scud can destroy a town, I've download the mission that Vikingo has done, but I can't to understand it,

the Mando missile tutorial made by Mandoble is damaged too, I think to download it, I get a message saying... "Error 404 file not found"

Cheers,
Aldo15
My OFP stuff
FMF Project by Aldo15. Coming soon.
If in the high school or university, Teachers add a new subject about how to make scripts, missions, for ofp. I'd be number one of my classroom