Hello Mad_Cheese, I played your mission and have a bit of feedback for you.
Overall I can say that I have mixtured feelings after playing your mission. The first part (the convoy) was absolutely fantastic, you had some great ideas (the car approaching, the convoy moving around, the Humvee giving cover from the hill, etc.) and I was absolutely immersed in the great atmosphere you produced with the tasks, the music and the sounds. Good job!
Unfortunately the second part of the mission was something I really didn't like at all because it was way too difficult. I'm talking especially about the second Taktistani wave at the northern end of the airport. Already at the first attacking wave in the city I thought: "Ok, what will this bring...
", but the Bradley was a great help destroying those enemy tanks, so it was ok. I even would be able to take on more enemies, as at the second try (first one was a mess) I positioned all of my soldiers in buildings / on rooftops. It worked quite well and if you can assure that the Bradley will be there every time, then you could send some more enemy troops. That about the first attack wave.
Well, the second one was just a player's nightmare. I don't know how many times I had to reload but it I think it was about 20-30 times. It took me more than 2 hours to complete this part of the mission. It's so frustrating that:
1. you're instantly shot by every enemy around when you fire one AT rocket, so the only thing you can do is to hide behind those big sand walls
2. the friendly AI is what it sometimes is: stupid and useless. At the end of those two hours my group was the only friendly unit that had survived, everyone else of the US guys were dead. And this only because I had sent them behind the walls for them not to die in their stupidness! What I did was to switch to one after the other (thanks God I choose the switch-mode in the beginning of the mission) and peak behind corners and shoot some enemies until them all shot back - then I switched to the next of my unit and repeated the same over, over, over and over again...
3. friendly armor didn't give a shit that the infantry had to deal by themselfes against so (too) many enemy tanks. And after the end of the battle what did I have to see?
An Abrams near the airport hangars doing nothing to help, just standing there... Other than that a Bradley, which stood somewhere at the right flank and did nothing, even though hordes of enemy infantry were in his line of fire. You might want to revise the armor assistance. I think that it might help a lot. Another solution would be to reduce the number of enemy tanks, but you have to check out what is the best to do.
Ok, now I have let out the frustration and we can go to the bug report. Mission:
- The subtitles in general were way too short. I would even dare to say that even native English speakers would have too try to read very fast in order to get all information. And beside that: Why aren't you using normal subtitles instead of those RscTitles (I forgot the name of it...)?
- In the truck at the beginning there was MAAWS ammo but no launcher.
- After a restart because of death the group embarked the truck, but this time a very very dense fog came up right after everyone was in the truck. It was so dense that visibility was = 0 so it had to be a bug. So I restarted again, but it came again too. Only after I got out of the mission (abandoned) and went in the main menu and restarted the mission again, the fog didn't come back... No idea what caused this.
- When I reached the four compounds the first time, the task came in the briefing, but no markers showing the compounds appeared. Second time worked then.
- I spotted a spelling mistake after the first attack wave of the TAK army: "Get to t
- One thing I asked myself while my group was extraced with the Black Hawk: How can we just fly around if AA is around?! (reason for the Apache to leave - which also would have been a great help at the airfield...
- At the final fight at the airfield I received the order to go back to the officer's tent, but there were still approx. a dozen of enemy infantry attacking our position and (if I remember correctly, not sure) even a tank or a APC was around... Not sure about the vehicle though.
- On the way to the warlord's house suddenly there was a terrible lag (probably the one you mentioned in the ReadMe) and this script error appeared: (link
As I said, the first part with the convoy was VERY good and I also liked the part where the Humvee was destroyed and the player was given the task to kill the war lord. Great! The first attack of the enemy was ok too (with the Bradley helping).
You might want to improve the second attack though. It simply was too hard with too many enemy tanks (and I wouldn't consider myself as a n00b) without sufficient armor assistance and if I remember correctly, there were only one, two, no more than three AT units (apart from my groups AT guys).
It was hard and some times I looked around in my room, searching for things that I could destroy in my rage, but all in all (with that last part improved) it is a very good
mission, which I would recommend and also play again! Thanks for your work!EDIT:
I still should add that the frustration is not mainly your fault. It's the general AI in Arma that (I even would dare to say) is uncapable to handle situations like this one. It really is sad.