Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Use tank as cover whil inf advances  (Read 3070 times)

Offline F2kSel

• Members
Re: Use tank as cover whil inf advances
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2011, 22:51:57 »
It may work but I think the problem is that each soldier will try and avoid each other if they get too close.

I tried this I placed 9 objects behind a tank evenly spaced out and attached them to the tank. I told each soldier to move to the object which they did. But still as soon as they get close to each other they start wonder off trying to get to their own places.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:09:28 »
Perhaps you could then have the leader maintain distance to the tank, soldier 1 maintain distance to the leader, soldier two maintain distance to soldier 1, etc?

Offline Barbolani

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2011, 11:48:41 »
I agree with saved, the easy solution could be split a big group in two / three, and just make the condition of the distance and the domoves in different points.

Anyway, thinking about 20 units behind a tank is not realistic. I suppose this kind of manouvres are made by 5 - 6 units as much.

So, if we use a small group, a domove foreach is ok. If the group is big, then I think a group leader domove + a compact column formation will work better. It wont make the whole group being behind the tank, but they will keep formation and won't get stucked stupidly...

Another question, In order to make the inf units continuously follow the tank, I had to make them run in safe and never fire, but it is also unrealistic. DisableAI could be the solution?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2011, 13:11:47 »
I wouldn't use disableAI because you have to select what to disable and that would render them brainless. I would try setting their speedmode to limited, combatmode to Yellow which allows them to fire but not engage(leave formation), and behavior to aware which will keep them from walking with gun slung in front and they will go prone or kneel depending  on the situation. As long as the dofollow command is repeated, I think they will act as infantry but maintain distance(of course after other engine requirements have expended such as auto reaction to go prone when shots are fired or enemy is spotted.)

The problem is that the group leader always order them to return to formation. BIS needs to remedy this by creating a command that turns off a leaders ordering authority.