Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Greetings old friends  (Read 1595 times)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Greetings old friends
« on: 09 Jun 2010, 16:21:47 »
Hi people. I've been away for a long time. I went off and joined the real army. I figured what the hell, I'd been fighting bad guys on Flashpoint and Armed Assault since the early naughties, I might as well go do it for real. All I've done so far are a lot of excercises here in the UK and I can tell you, its a lot more strenuous in real life.

Anyway, I've not even looked at Arma or Ama2 (that what you're calling it) for ages. I was just wondering how the community is doing. How the game is coming along in its latest incarnation and how ofpec is doing. I miss being part of the community. Perhaps if they ever released a game that was playable straight out of the box I might come back. Who knows?

I hope all you staff are well.

The-Architect.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: Greetings old friends
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2010, 17:34:29 »
Anyway, I've not even looked at Arma or Ama2 (that what you're calling it) for ages. I was just wondering how the community is doing. How the game is coming along in its latest incarnation and how ofpec is doing.

OFPEC is doing fine ever since they made me a mission staffer. It's hard to judge ArmA2. I don't play it much because most missions run poorly on my system. There's definitely a lot more interest in ArmA2 than there is in OFP or ArmA1. ArmA1 is now just as or even more dead than OFP is. I'm sticking to OFP for right now. :P
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:25:41 »
Hey Architect! Glad to see you're doing well.

Arma 2 was actually the most playable out of the box of any of BIS' games. That includes CWC, Gold Upgrade, Resistance, ArmA and QG. It's just gotten better and better since then, especially with BIS releasing beta patches like clockwork, even with all the effort they're now putting in to Operation Arrowhead, the standalone expansion pack for Arma 2. However, I'd refer to it more as a completely new game based on the huge amount of content being put in it for a game costing less than a full retail game. It's pretty incredible.

As Kurtz says, ArmA has pretty much died off as there's not much point playing it when you can play Arma 2, but OFP still has some modding going on for it. Heck, I still have OFP installed on my PC, and it will remain there for years to come. :P

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:31:50 »
Arma 2 is the shiznit, and, hey: they've been releasing beta patches like twice a month at least, and each one has improved my fps by +1 at least, so judging by this I'll be up to perfectly reasonable FPSes by the time 1.06 rolls out :D

That said: Hey man! Always great to see an old face around. OFPEC is, well, OFPEC is hanging in there as always, no plans on going anywhere I think. The community is actually larger than it was before, at least over at the BIS forums, lots of activity, addons and missions. The MP scene is what dominates, ever since ArmA and JIP, but it seems that Arma 2 has somehow avoided the Evolution/Domination pairing (now it's just Domination. And Warfare. I think?). Not that I'm into all of that anyway. :)

Anyway, if you have a semi-decent, dual-core rig with a nice(r) graphics card, you can totally run Arma 2. It's fun! You should try it. And come baaaack. Hear the siren's call...come baaaaaack...much more fun to run around virtually than in real life, don't you know ;)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"