Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Memory Points and Attachto  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Absolution

• Members
Memory Points and Attachto
« on: 20 May 2010, 03:53:48 »
I am working on a large amphibious warfare ship which requires that I split it up into several different models. Gnat has been working with me a great deal and I value his help immensely but I have been unable to solve this issue and wished to ask for help in the appropriate forum.

I have three pieces for this ship and each model has a single point in the memory LOD. I have named these points "pos aft", "pos mid" and "pos fwd"... ingenious I know.

When I use an attachto the function appears to ignore the memory points completely. Through my searches on the forums I understand I must define these points in the config so that it knows what to do with them. However, I have been unable to figure out how.

A snippet of my code:
Code: [Select]
class CfgVehicles {
class NonStrategic; //loading old class for inheritance
class LPD_SEC_BOW : NonStrategic { // inheriter to : inherit from
scope = 1; //2: Visible in the editor | 1: Not visible in the editor | 0: Not visible, can't be used for inheritance
accuracy = 1; // never recognize
vehicleClass ="MEU_LPD"; // same as CfgVehicleClasses
displayName ="LPD-17 Bow Section"; // name of the object
destrType = DestructNo;
model = "\MEU_LPD\LPD_SEC_BOW.p3d"; //path to the binarized model
                armor = 500;// strength of wall also effected by weight amount in geo lod
position = "pos bow";

};

class LPD_SEC_MID : LPD_SEC_BOW { //In this case it inherits from the first object I installed
scope = 1; //2: Visible in the editor | 1: Not visible in the editor | 0: Not visible, can't be used for inheritance
displayName ="LPD-17 Mid Section"; //name of the object
model = "\MEU_LPD\LPD_SEC_MID.p3d"; //path to the binarized model
position = "pos mid";

};

class LPD_SEC_AFT : LPD_SEC_BOW { //In this case it inherits from the first object I installed
scope = 2; //2: Visible in the editor | 1: Not visible in the editor | 0: Not visible, can't be used for inheritance
displayName ="LPD-17"; //name of the object
model = "\MEU_LPD\LPD_SEC_AFT.p3d"; //path to the binarized model
icon = "\MEU_LPD\tempicon.paa"; //icon used in editor
mapsize = 10;// size of icon when placed in editor
position = "pos aft";

I thought it was defined along with the other properties as a "position =..." but obviously that is incorrect or perhaps I am using it wrong. Any tips?

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: Memory Points and Attachto
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2010, 09:54:44 »
Odd.
If the memory points are in the model it should work, there is no need to mention them in any config as far as I know (and I have used memory points extensively)..

EDIT:
Although, this sounded a bit off to me:
I have three pieces for this ship and each model has a single point in the memory LOD. I have named these points "pos aft", "pos mid" and "pos fwd"
I think these points should be in the main part of the model you're attaching the rest to, otherwise they're trying to attachTo themselves into themselves which obviously doesn't work..
:dunno:
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 10:03:02 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2010, 19:18:25 »
 Hmm

I dont know that Position is used in config.cpp apart from in hitpoints for ruinclass and particle effects and lights .

i have had problems before with identifying names with spaces , i always use an _ underscore  so pos bow become pos_bow  in both model and config.

if that does not work then at first put your part in the mission editor and make a radio  trigger with

mypos = mypart selectionposition "pos bow" ; hint format ["position is %1", mypos] ;

if position is not returned then maybe your memory point needs to be defined in model config.

sections[]=
   {   "pos mid", "pos fwd"...

alterntively  put the points in other lods too , view lod and resoloution 0 lod and try .

if all that fails then a last ditch thought would be that

1 accuracy = 1 ; may also effect recognition of the points as well as anything else

good luck

I love ofp

Offline Absolution

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2010, 03:42:32 »
*edit* Forget it... I give up. I will just do it the trial and error way.

However, there is an outstanding issue with my ship. When I spawn a CRRC inside the flooded section of the well deck a player is unable to enter the CRRC. When that exact same CRRC is spawned outside the footprint on my ship it is now enter-able.

Furthermore, when I attach the CRRC (or any other vehicle) to my ship that vehicle appears to fall about a meter before warping back to its original position and falling again endlessly (appearing to bounce). When I attach one vehicle to another vehicle (in the case of my experiment a pair of M1s) they do not bounce so it must have something to do with my model.

Any tips here? (I can FRAPS a couple of examples and upload to Youtube if this isn't clear enough)

A theory... does the class I inherited from have an impact on this issue? I chose NonStrategic since my ship is not meant to be anything more than a building out at sea.

snip snip:
class CfgVehicles {
class NonStrategic; //loading old class for inheritance
class LPD_Mid : NonStrategic { // inheriter to : inherit from
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 04:11:16 by Absolution »

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2010, 15:41:54 »

the logical inheritance would be  
class StaticShip

the bis one has the prefix Land but thats for vistior  recognition of the ladders etc  there is another  which is :

class Land_Fregata : StaticShip
    {
      model = "\Ca\water2\Fregata\Fregata";
      displayName = "Fregata";
      vehicleClass = "Ship";
      scope = 2;
    };

seems to me from what your describing is that it could be the Wave height having a prblem with bouncing , try to attahc on land see if its the same.
 if its ok on flat land like utes airport or something then  try in the see but use setvector in conjuntion with velocity command to stabilise eveerything.

In my opinion it would appear your view lod is blocking the get in points of your ccrc thing when its attached thats why you cant get in probably. pls post your arma.rpt and your binarisation Log here for any further help.

Db

I love ofp

Offline Absolution

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2010, 20:58:42 »
Changed inheritance to StaticShip and placed my model on dry land. Attempted to attach and its still bouncing.

I do not know how to use the setvector or velocity commands.

I am tackling this "get in" problem from two angles. Since I determined that it bugs only when the CRRC is in the water I figured I would attach it to get it out of the water then launch it. I CAN get into land vehicles that are in the ship's cargo hold. I can not get into a free floating CRRC inside the well deck. IF we can fix it so I can get into a free floating CRRC while it is inside the well deck then I can ignore the bouncing problem.

I'm no expert but I don't see anything fishy here. Thoughts?

Bin log:
Convert model p:\arrowtest\arrow1.p3d -> C:\Users\Mickey\AppData\Local\Temp\ARMAaddons\arrowtest\arrow1.p3d
<model = "p:\arrowtest\arrow1.p3d">
</model>

ARMA.RPT (latest time stamp):
Exe timestamp: 2010/01/09 16:50:21
Current time:  2010/05/22 11:38:45

Updating base class ->Strategic, by ca\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticShip/
Exe version: 1.05.62017
Mission bounceest.utes: Missing 'description.ext::Header'
Creating debriefing

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2010, 21:59:26 »
on holidays, using a netbook;
From memory, comments based on my FSF release;
- Moving models after attachto is usually related to interacting/colliding GEO Lods.
- I had to drop using a PATHWAY lod because I found it caused effects like you are seeing, ie "Getin" disappears. I even tried making a separate addon that was only a PATHWAY lod, and attaching it to the FSF. Didnt work either.

Offline Absolution

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2010, 22:11:00 »
Scratch that I did NOT solve the get in problem but I did finally pin point the cause. The bug manifests itself when there is a roadway LOD directly above the CRRC. I deleted the portion of roadway above the CRRC and I could get in. I then moved the CRRC under a different section of roadway and was then unable to get in.

The attachto is no go, already tried it. What confuses me is that ground vehicles do not suffer from this bug. Any ideas how to get around this?
« Last Edit: 25 May 2010, 04:49:16 by Absolution »

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2010, 16:23:47 »
I recently added a ladder (it has a roadway lod inside) to the FSF and the FSF started to tip into the air.
Almost seems like multiple Roadway lods can conflict and react against each other.

Offline Absolution

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2010, 06:57:11 »
I've make-shifted a solution using a "moveincargo" command in the game editor. It's not perfect but it gets the job done.