Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Operation Hungry-Birds  (Read 16928 times)

Walter_E_Kurtz

(For Review?) Operation Hungry-Birds 2.2
« Reply #60 on: 05 Mar 2011, 17:10:08 »
Super AI: it's the only way for a vet to play  :good:
  Super-AI or no Super-AI, if the waypoints are visible you're in Cadet mode, not Veteran.

And then I got a mission failed. Nothing ticked off apart from the starting objective, the convoy and evac. See attached.
  I think the evac zone is an Any Group Member Present trigger on the beach. You probably flew through it.

@ OFP_f3d3
   Can you confirm whether this is still due for review, or are you making changes?
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2011, 17:17:17 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
Re: Please Review me! Operation Hungry-Birds 2.2 new version
« Reply #61 on: 05 Mar 2011, 18:41:44 »
I play on Cadet in OFP for the same reason I play on Regular in Arma 2 - unrestricted difficulty settings. This is entirely for testing purposes, with both my missions and others. Making sure waypoints work while at the same time the mission isn't too hard for those playing on the higher difficulties, are some examples as to why I do it. ;)

Offline OFP_f3d3

• Former Staff
  • Fraud is the ready minister of injustice.
« Reply #62 on: 05 Mar 2011, 22:32:20 »
Nothing in the world is as certain as death.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #63 on: 06 Mar 2011, 04:32:19 »
Great to see more angles covered on this one. Thanks to all you fellows and your efforts.

Offline OFP_f3d3

• Former Staff
Re: Please Review me! Operation Hungry-Birds 2.3 new version
« Reply #64 on: 23 Mar 2011, 20:49:10 »
NEW VERSION AVAILABLE

Offline Aldo15

• OFP-addict
  • Former Staff
    • My OFP missions
« Reply #65 on: 26 Mar 2011, 03:31:00 »
Hi man,

I tried to download this file, but I'm having problems to download it again, just I can open the readme.txt file.

Cheers,
Aldo15
My OFP stuff
FMF Project by Aldo15. Coming soon.
If in the high school or university, Teachers add a new subject about how to make scripts, missions, for ofp. I'd be number one of my classroom

Offline OFP_f3d3

• Former Staff
« Reply #66 on: 02 Apr 2011, 19:03:31 »
Please can someone give a las try to this????

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #67 on: 03 Apr 2011, 09:50:33 »
Played version 2.3 on veteran.
Your readme still has the version labelled as 2.2 but the changelog is repeated as though you copied and pasted it. you do however have the 2.3 changes listed.

OVERVIEW
Looks great but the flip page still has the version listed as 1.5

INTRO
Very long with lots of unneeded camera footage but I wouldn't change it at this point. At least folks can skip it after they have seen it once, since you were kind enough to place it where it should be in the INTRO section of the mission build.

BRIEFING
Plenty of information. Links work properly. Gear selection is varied and welcomed. If I were you, I would run all text through an English spell checking application such as word or OpenOffice(which is free and compatible with word).

MISSION
I'm unsure of this quite yet but I think there is the potential of having 5 or 10 men randomly at start? I played this version several times and twice got 5 men. Quite frankly, 11 men is overkill but can be useful for carrying extra needed ammo. It doesn't matter either way really. First objective hasn't changed at all.
The camp between objectives 1 and 2 is much easier than before but makes logical sense that it is near empty due to the a mount of patrols that you have roaming around. It may benefit you in the future to make static units random so that players keep guessing on each replay where ambushes may appear(I am speaking primarily of that sniper behind the building at the camp).
Objective 2 All went splendid. The kamov would sometimes engage and sometimes would not and I figured it to be based on my knows about level. When he didn't engage, he only knew the alarm was raised, he had no idea where the threat was BUT it was obvious that you had him seeking the player's position. There was only one tank that responded from the neighboring town. 5 minutes after raising the alarm, 6 tank crew members came running through in combat mode, following the first tank. I suspected that they failed to mount their armor.
The airfield was also well balanced with one BMP responding from the ammo base in the desert. Foxtrot advanced well and actually survived. The naval arty was effective and useful in softening the defenses up.
The documents worked as they should. All objectives ticked off. The boat showed up we loaded up and off we went. There is only enough room for 6 in the boat. You may want to consider doing a count of the group and if there are more than 6, split 7 and above up to their own group and have them mount a separate boat. I hadn't lost one guy and I felt incomplete leaving the others on the shore.
OUTRO
Nicely done.
OVERALL
At this point, I would not undertake any heavy adjustments. All works well with no bugs.

The only things you may consider, is ensuring that the armor crews mount their vehicles for response to the factory alarm and maybe automatically splitting unit 7,8,9,10,11 into their own group and have them mount a separate boat at the end.

Offline OFP_f3d3

• Former Staff
« Reply #68 on: 03 Apr 2011, 18:43:42 »
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2011, 18:48:06 by OFP_f3d3 »

Walter_E_Kurtz

Operation Hungry-Birds 2.3.5 (Review Completed)
« Reply #69 on: 07 Apr 2011, 00:11:16 »
This mission is now under review. Review Completed

I'm taking this opportunity to explain my criticisms. It may seem overly negative, but that's because the many positives pass without comment.

Refinement of trigger conditions
 There were a fair number of changes through the various versions, the full impact of which hadn't always been considered. For instance, the emergency evac event is triggered once numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5 are down, even if 6 is still alive. The were also a couple of occasions which could have been more player-fiendly: the last loon hunt at the factory and the civilians (like the documents, it should probably have been via addAction).

Smarten up the AI
 It would have been good to see groups of enemies working together; in particular, the squads on the road were notable for ignoring their friends getting slaughtered tens of metres away. There are scripts that can help: GroupLink II and InfoShare (Link to be provided).

More patrols with actual randomness
 A good tutorial for this is Trevor Hobson's Intelligent Patrols. Timeouts can be used in waypoints to provide random delays.

Develop those ideas
 I'm not quite sure what those civilians were all about, but they could've been made into a hidden objective of some sort. Also, trying to vary the number of soldiers wasn't bad, but making it 50:50 (like flipping a coin) didn't demonstrate confidence. You could have used cadetMode to add additional troops to the players squad, or, more impressively, created a difficulty dialog box - simply removing more enemies at easier settings.

A smidgen more fun
 Yes, one of the soldiers overlooking the factory has a 6G-30, but the machinegun at the Ammo base in the desert is locked. Consider alternatives to locking vehicles: I enjoyed myself in an earlier version when the BMP at the ambush site was open - very short of ammo and fuel (enough to get to the Ammo base).
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2011, 13:44:00 by Walter_E_Kurtz »