Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Car Texture is all black in-game  (Read 4454 times)

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
Car Texture is all black in-game
« on: 05 May 2010, 15:09:29 »
Hello again,

After giving up on the RVMAT's in making a texture glow I decided to do something else. Now, I've retextured a few BIS vehicles in the past without any issues. However all of a sudden I'm having trouble..

All I've done is painted the Sedan into a better coat of white (the old one was a little rusty), saved as PNG, opened in Texview and saved as .paa. This is my normal way of doing it and it's always worked before. However, all of a sudden my Sedan is appearing all black where the modified texture should be. Texview doesn't show it as that and I'm not sure why it's appearing like that.

Here is what it should look like:

However, in-game it actually looks like this.

What I have tried is replacing the texture with the original Car Sedan texture and it works fine, but as soon as my .paa texture gets put in it dies. So, I know the texture path is correct otherwise it wouldn't load the original texture which is in the same folder.

I've tried renaming the texture, using the original name - doesn't work. The whole car just wants to stay a horrible dark black colour.

One thing I have noticed is that the 'Receiving..' screen before I see the car takes longer to load compared to the normal sedan texture. Seeing this I thought it was a file size issue, but it's not. Infact its nearly half the size of the original texture. I've checked the dimensions of the texture too, being the 'x^2 by y x^2' format.

Is there something obvious I've missed? A setting in Texview that might have changed to cause this? I've done this many times but never had this issue.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
Re: Car Texture is all black in-game
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2010, 18:24:35 »
Your ArmA.rpt file will likely tell you what the problem is, but is very likely to be a bad reference to a Normal map file (nohq) usually spelt out in the corresponding RVMAT file.
Black vehicle usually = no NOHQ

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2010, 00:29:38 »
Hmm, odd. Is it possibly because I've changed the texturename it's not able to use the correct suffix relating to that texture? I know the textures and maps have _co etc on the end.

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2010, 13:19:46 »
Further looking into this I found that using the original texture in my addon works. As soon as I grayscale it, save it again in TexView it then no longer works.

It's kept its dimensions the same.

The settings in TexView are:
- RGBA and DXT1
The right boxes are None.

Is this the correct settings for ArmA?