Advertisement

Author Topic: An ambitious idea [Obsolete]  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Gubas little helper

• Members
  • Gubas real name is John. I would know.
An ambitious idea [Obsolete]
« on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:30:04 »
This idea is so ambitious, it probably wont happen. Im new, but I think that this website is large enough to 'share campaigns' between games. I talking about making a campaign on OFP with the arma story. Same for arma. (Or Arma 2). I always wanted arma, but I cant play it because I dont have a powerful computer coming any time soon. If this occurs successfully, it will show what OFP can do and demonstrate the power of a game 9 years old. Plus, its connects the Arma and ofp community closer together. Criticise me if you have to, tell me the faults, but this I believe is a GOOD IDEA. Dont be personal with the comments, i just giving an idea thx ;)
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 21:19:20 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: An ambitious idea
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:32:15 »
That's actually a good idea. And definitely an ambitious one!

Porting Saharani is very difficult, but somewhat possible, but, Chernarus is impossible. To my knowledge it is at least 5 times larger than Nogova, making it, well, impossible for OFP engine to handle, even with modern quad-core CPU's. I'm not even sure you can create islands that large!

I personally would not suggest porting ArmA1 campaign, it was not the best of the campaigns (no lovable/hatable characters, no characters at all, infact, no real story, etc.). But I am not sure about ArmA2 one, since I never played it. From ArmA1 only user-made campaigns are really worth porting (in my opinion, at least), campaigns like "The Cause" by Rejenorst (an excellent OPFOR campaign), of course if the author gives permission first.

I will track the progress of this ambitious idea, but I myself would not be of too much use, at least when it comes to island porting.

Good luck with the project,
Krieg
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2010, 23:36:23 »
Youre right. Still, if there was an addon maker who would port Saharani it would still be good.  ;) If Cheranus is impossible, what about Skyria or something like that from dragon rising. Even if we dont port the islands who cares. Make an arma2 campaign on Everon, Cheranus has some similarities. ! Just tweak it to suit whatever island is available. Intivallic is sort of like Saharani, or even tonal, except tonal is 2 landmasses sideways while saharani is vertical. I will definitely need help on this though, as it is a project too large for a newcomer to do. A community would be better. But its still going to be a long road ahead :good: :good: :good:. thanks for the reliable info, will help a lot!

Offline Lone~Wolf

• Mission Tools & Weapons Designer
  • Members
  • Vladimir Dmitri Mikhail Andreevich Stamenov
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2010, 11:13:09 »
Hmm, interesting. Would this be trying to get the most authentic possible experience - i.e. extensive use of mods and addons etc. to try and get it as close to ArmA as possible, or would we limit it to original OFP stuff with the exception of the island?

You see, if we went for the former, the number of addons I fear we'd need would be mind-blowing, and no-one in their right minds would download it.
You name it, I design ways of annihilating it. :cool2:

Offline DaKa

• Members
  • Loyalty is my Honor.
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep 2010, 14:11:23 »
Well, on the other hand, we could use just one mod, but a mod which has units made for all sides.

• Members
Re: An ambitious idea [Obsolete]
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2010, 00:41:19 »
I think we could keep the mods to a minimum, say just 1 overall mod like ECP. But unfortunately no one has the time for this object so we might as well stop talking about it... plus to port islands it would need 2 maps, 1 for north and 1 for south saharni..

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2010, 15:19:17 »
Hey GubasLittleHelper, sorry to say that, but this idea is not yet on the agenda, I am working on a campaign together with DaKa that involves Czech SF in Takistan. Or would you like to gather another team for your idea?

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:17:21 »
Nah its fine I can wait until your done but I dont think it will be created anyway...