Advertisement

Author Topic: [SP]First mission-patrolling party  (Read 3888 times)

Offline mboshell

• Members
Re: ist mission-patrolling party
« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2010, 13:06:04 »
OK, I'm studied out and have decided to take a break from my campaign to test this one.  Sadly, even after three tries, I couldn't complete an objective.  I'm absolutely horrible at this stuff.  Perhaps, I should spend more time playing and less time editing.  I may be able to provide some helpful info on the beginning though.

Version: 3.0
Tested In: Resistance v 1.96

Briefing: Well done, but simple.  Only problems noticed were simple capitalization things, like hq should be HQ.

Intro: Simple, but very nice.  Looks great. 

Mission: The armor and other units still took off before I could get ready.  Perhaps, I'm a bit slow at commanding.  After boarding most of my unit in the BMP, I eventually caught up with them as they were retreating and passed me by.  I continued down the road, and bang...land mine got me.  Because it takes so long to get to the action, I suggest a savepoint trigger somewhere just before you expect the player to make first contact, be it landmine or enemy.  On the second try, I decided to try my hand with no vehicles to avoid the landmines.  It took quite a while to catch up to the tanks.  Then, before I could begin to engage, I made a dumb mistake and wandered too close to a tank on the road and got killed by the explosion when he ran over a land mine.  On the third try, I decided to load up into the BMP and stay to the west of the road along the coast to avoid the mines.  I was safe and felt relieved when my BMP engaged and killed some infantry to the east along the road.  I thought I was actually going to complete an objective.  I perched my BMP on a hill where I thought I would be able to see the enemy base, and ordered the infantry to disembark while leaving the gunner and commander in the BMP.  It didn't take long before the first enemy M113 was spotted.  I ordered the AT gunner to engage the M113, and the BMP began opening fire.  I thought for sure I was safe on my hilltop perch, but something took out the BMP and I was standing a bit too close apparantly because I was annihilated too.  I forgot to wait for the cam to see what it was that got me before closing down the game out of frustration. 

Closing Comments: While you may not be making missions for noobs like me, I can only state things from my point of view, so please forgive me for this.  It just takes too darn long to get to the first bit of action with no save point.  And, the tanks seem kind of pointless to be there when they just get blown up by mines and retreat.  I am not very good at commanding my units yet, so that definitely factors into it.  However, I love your passion and continued effort to improve this mission, but for some strange reason, I got further, and enjoyed the first version of the mission more than this version.  Perhaps it was the different tactics that I employed that were the death of me this time, but I do lose interest in constant trial and error type missions, and that is simply a personal issue.  I'm sure there are many that will enjoy this type of mission, so please listen to the more experienced editors before listening to me.

Thanks for continuing to work hard at pleasing this fantastic community!

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #31 on: 01 May 2010, 08:39:57 »
@mobshell
thanks for playing my mission,now iam back again,i will do some changes now,savepoint obtion iam going to add now,
Be happy.
ofp die-hard fan for whole life

Offline mboshell

• Members
« Reply #32 on: 01 May 2010, 14:20:26 »
You're very welcome!  I don't know how to add savepoint obtion, but if you just add a huge circular trigger directly onto the objective with a savepoint you can make it as large as you want.  I would make it large enough so that regardless of what route the player chooses, the savepoint will trigger once the player gets close enough to the objective just before where you would expect the first engagement to begin.

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #33 on: 01 May 2010, 14:25:51 »
when you get rid of both APC than autosave obtion is there ma.any more suggestion by you.
Be happy.

Offline mboshell

• Members
« Reply #34 on: 03 May 2010, 07:49:57 »
Well, just because I stink so bad that it might take me a few tries to take out both APCs, I was hoping for a save just before I get close enough to engage because it takes so long to get from mission start to the first engagement. 

Again, this is just what would please me, as a noob...lol.  I'm not saying that you should necassarily take my advice.  I will be trying my best at the next update of the mission regardless of what you change.

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #35 on: 04 May 2010, 09:48:50 »
check first post new version added,in this spelling error rectify like now hq=HQ
save obtion is there for anytime.
Be happy.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #36 on: 08 May 2010, 01:44:33 »
I enjoyed this mission a lot. I beat it on the first try, and yet I would not say it was easy. It was very intense and only four other men in my squad were alive by the end.

Expect a beta report soon. I need a break from OFP after spending 1 hour 11 minutes on this mission.

There are some final touches necessary, but then again, most OFP missions have some flaws, including BIS ones. ;)

Good job. :good:
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #37 on: 08 May 2010, 04:37:22 »
Thanks for playing,everyone can give me a idea about some changes in mission.
Be happy.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #38 on: 08 May 2010, 16:15:28 »
Okay, now for a beta report.

Overview

It's good to give the best possible first impression in the overview. Your overview needs a picture, and your sentence doesn't use correct English idiom.  "NATO starts to make a foothold in malden,so time to action" should be rewritten as something like "NATO is establishing a foothold on Malden. It's time for action!" You also might want to include some subtle clue that the player is Resistance and not USSR.

Briefing

This needs a little work also.

--I thought that your third objective meant that you had to attack Goisse, as if it was known to be occupied by the enemy. Of course, there are no enemies in Goisse. Perhaps you should re-word it so it's more clear that Goisse is an extraction point and not a known enemy stronghold?
--You have two mysterious red question mark markers that aren't linked or described in the briefing.
--It would be a nice touch if your third objective had a link to the Goisse marker.
--The last sentence of your notes should say "You can save game at any time, if needed."
--Your gear selection has no handguns or binoculars, which seems odd for a group that has access to G36s and SVD sniper rifles.
--It also might be more immersive if the gear selection didn't have 3 of each kind of weapon and 15 of each magazine. Rarely would a squad have exactly 3 of everything. ;) Randomize it a little.

Mission

I played on Veteran mode with no magic HUD crosshairs and without using 3rd person view. As said, I beat it on one try, but only after a number of nerve-wracking firefights. I won mostly by spotting targets ahead of time and letting my team do as much of the work as possible. This minimized the attention drawn to me specifically. I don't believe I myself was ever actually targeted by the enemy. Granted, this strategy took a steep toll on my squad--four of them were left by the end. I got a score of about 3000 and two stars.

Comments:

--It's not clear what radio Alpha does, though of course I knew it had to be the saveGame option. It would look better if you gave it text. Do this by filling in the "text" field of the radio trigger, or by using the setRadioMsg command.
--I don't like the idea of unlimited radio savegames, even though I never actually had to reload. I think 3 savegames at most should be sufficient, in addition to the ones that you already have distributed throughout the mission. It should be a simple matter to limit the number of saveGames. Hint: you will need to define a number variable at the mission start, use the + command to increase the variable every time the radio trigger is used, and then have the radio trigger deleted (deletevehicle command) or setRadioMsg "null" once the number goes over a certain amount.
--My squad doesn't have a medic. It feels like squads this large should always have at least one medic.
--My squad begins facing the wrong way. Incorrectly assuming that I started facing south, I began marching the wrong way.
--You have the other infantry squad set to stop in the middle of the desert for 200 seconds. On my play-through they stopped just as the T55's were rolling over the mines. Safety be damned, I wasn't going to wait around for the other squad to start moving, if they started moving (they did eventually, of course). I don't know what you think the delay is needed for, but if you just need them to wait for your squad to catch up, consider simply tying their waypoint to a trigger instead.
--On several occasions, NATO soldiers were spotted in SAFE mode with guns still on their backs, even though firefights were going on close by. This makes them look pretty stupid and detracts from immersion. Perhaps you should use a "detected by" trigger and the setBehaviour command to put them on Alert or Combat when the Resistance is known to be close by.
--After trouncing the M113s and getting close to the HQ, I couldn't figure out why the "destroy M113s" objective wasn't ticked, even though no armor of any kind was audible. Eventually I realized it was because one of the M113s wasn't destroyed, merely damaged by rifle grenades to the point that its crew bailed out. I hit it with an RPG and then the objective ticked. You may wish to consider changing the "not alive" conditions for the M113 to "not canMove" conditions. This will allow the objective to be completed if the M113s are damaged to the point where they no longer move.

Outro

N/A. It's not necessary, but you might wish to consider making one.

That's about it. So, hope the above comments are helpful. I've got to go for something important now. :D

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that some more radio dialogue would help both immersion and strategy. I have no way of knowing when the T55s or the other squad are in trouble, and without any sort of character development, I also don't have much reason to care.

I also didn't have time to mention earlier that your mission could still use something to set it apart from the crowd. Use your own creativity here, but the most fun OFP missions always have some sort of distinctive twist, something unexpected or previously untried. Mission making really can be an art form. Good luck exploring it. :good:
« Last Edit: 08 May 2010, 18:00:12 by RKurtzDmitriyev »
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2010, 05:07:06 »
ok,now iam going to add a suspense to this mission.
Be happy.

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2010, 04:31:47 »
Overview
Still no image.
Text is fine except for this-> malden, so time to actionMalden, so time to act!
Briefing
objective one text ---> Approach the Nato HQ and kill both M113'sApproach the Nato HQ and destroy both M113's

I liked the cutscene at the beginning though the music started a little late.(That's just being nitpicky though)

Add "Save Game" to the text field of the radio alpha trigger so that the player knows what it is for.

Aside from these.....it plays the same way through each time and could probably use some random placement for the officers, random waypoint radius for M113's and random placement for those MG's on the hills.

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2010, 17:22:33 »
Overview
Still no image.
Text is fine except for this-> malden, so time to actionMalden, so time to act!

done,
Briefing
objective one text ---> Approach the Nato HQ and kill both M113'sApproach the Nato HQ and destroy both M113's

I liked the cutscene at the beginning though the music started a little late.(That's just being nitpicky though)

Add "Save Game" to the text field of the radio alpha trigger so that the player knows what it is for.

Aside from these.....it plays the same way through each time and could probably use some random placement for the officers, random waypoint radius for M113's and random placement for those MG's on the hills.

done,now music start with cutescene,M113 move randomly now,some soldiers add to officers at base and a twist at last waypoint.
Be happy.

Offline mboshell

• Members
« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2010, 08:51:57 »
I attempted to test this, but got error "no entry configbinworlds" and kicked to the menu.  It happens repeatedly.  Any help?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 09:25:47 by mboshell »

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2010, 18:38:48 »
Very unknown bug its,i tested it runs ok.as i use ofp goty to make this mission.
Be happy.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #44 on: 28 May 2010, 00:12:08 »
I attempted to test this, but got error "no entry configbinworlds" and kicked to the menu.  It happens repeatedly.

Works fine for me. It sounds like you've only stuck the unzipped folder inside of the OFP missions directory. That's the only way I've ever gotten that error.