Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The Chernarus Run (SP) Version 1.2 - [Review Complete]  (Read 13551 times)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: The Chernarus Run (SP) Version 1.2 - Reviews Please
« Reply #60 on: 04 Jul 2010, 20:24:54 »

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #61 on: 04 Jul 2010, 21:18:04 »
SaOk

You forget that only very small percent of players comment on mission. And most likely they comment if they have liked it
Yes, I agree a small percentage of commenters - on armaholic 2 people mentioning FPS problems, but 13 did not, I think its guesswork to say more people who like a mission comment - Iv'e had plenty more people moaning when something has not worked in past missions, may epends on various factors - (also 9.5 on the score).

It would be ideal to keep the FPS quite steady trought the mission. Not to increase suddently the computer spec requirements after hours of playtime
Well, in an ideal world... there is no intention to increase FPS... that is just the nature of the mission.

I will look at the ways suggested by yourself and others to increase FPS - but as I said earlier after deleating vitually all units outside of the city and reducing the size of groups in the city I have not seen any great improvement - as for objects, as they are static how do they influence FPS?

In any case if one  can finish the mission does that not merit a review as the review can point out that  fps "MAY" be an issue and warn players beforehand. If not it means that by far greater percentage of players  (like those who have finished without mentioning the FPS problem) will be excluded!

And btw, all version going back to Flashpoint have been bug-ridden and caused instability/crashes/freezes for all sorts of combinations of PC's and settings etc. The forums have been full of these for years and BIS has done little to put things right  - the engine warranted a complete rewrite years ago to sort things out - only hoping V1.07 has corrected some of the defects - Ok, sorry about that, rant over  :)

Regards

Arkon
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2010, 21:32:36 by Arkon »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #62 on: 05 Jul 2010, 06:59:57 »
Just because someone doesn't mention FPS drop, does not mean that they didn't experience it. Some of those guys may have to deal with low FPS in all missions and just get use to it.

I think its guesswork to say more people who like a mission comment
We comment whether we like it or not. That's not the case here though. We see potential in this project and then see it stripped away at the end. Something that can be easily adjusted (granted you'll have to sacrifice eye candy) is still plaguing the mission.

Please don't think we are trying to force your hand here. If it is completable, we will review it but problem areas will be reflected in the overall scoring.

Iv'e had plenty more people moaning when something has not worked in past missions
I would hope you think better of us than moaning. We don't get paid for this and we are expending our own time to help find the weak areas of your project, areas that we feel are easily fixable without effecting the structure of your mission (eye candy).

Well, in an ideal world... there is no intention to increase FPS
I'll give you that pal, but the fact remains, yours plays nicely through the majority of the mission and then decreases tremendously around Chernogorsk. How can you ignore that?

but as I said earlier after deleating vitually all units outside of the city and reducing the size of groups in the city I have not seen any great improvement
Thanks for the efforts. Those combined with 1.07 may help but in the end, I feel you will still be overloading the processor with too many objects inside the city.

as for objects, as they are static how do they influence FPS?
I'm no professional modeler but I presume this...Every object has various detail models which must be loaded at certain distances along with their textures. Every time the player moves, rotates or zooms, the processor must load the specific model and texture of every model in view. When you combine that with user and BIS scripts that are running, it takes its toll. Suggestion, try removing the ships that have nothing to do with the overall mission.

Just keep in mind, we're not trying to hold your mission back at all because quite frankly we don't care either way. We are here to help you improve your mission and if you're not willing to, then we can't make you. But we will not review anything that contains bugs and errors.

Oh and BTW, my specs are...
i7 920 intel quad core 2.6ghz
3gb of memory
ATI Radeon HD4880

Offline louiscar

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: 05 Jul 2010, 19:36:41 »
Oh and BTW, my specs are...
i7 920 intel quad core 2.6ghz
3gb of memory
ATI Radeon HD4880

Interesting, what is your motherboard.

I find the city is unplayable for me because I get a lot of CTD. Symptoms tend to be similar to others where ARMA is still running as a process but no way to bring it back.

I found a thread that pointed to some possible problems that may be either the radeon card or Asus p6 mbd or the two together.

The difference in my spec is 2GB memory and an Asus Radeon 4850 - 512 with the p6 motherboard.

I do agree the fps is a problem although the problem mentioned earlier can happen in other places for me but much more in the city.

Just interested if this mission causes similar symptoms on your rig.
VISTA - Doesn't trust you
http://badvista.fsf.org/

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #64 on: 06 Jul 2010, 00:04:48 »
Hi savedbygrace,

I would hope you think better of us than moaning
Sorry, but you misunderstand, SaOk and I were comparing feedback re complainers/commenders and I was referring to people who had conplained about my missions in the past - not yourselves  :)

yours plays nicely through the majority of the mission and then decreases tremendously around Chernogorsk. How can you ignore that?
I can't - but I did some tests today - and on a completely blank map FPS was around 130-150 in the city it was 70-80. I think this has a large effect on what has been happening. Anyone who loses almost 50% of FPS is going to suffer... I just think this needs now to be taken into account.

I feel you will still be overloading the processor with too many objects inside the city
My tests (deleting all the objects) show that objects seem to make very little difference to FPS. Groups do seem to have some affect. I am investigating further...it seems something else may be at work here.

BTW What is your FPS inside and outside of the city and what settings/operating system you are using?

Regards

Arkon

« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2010, 11:17:33 by Arkon »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 Sep 2010, 21:47:32 »
I finally managed to play this trought. The extraction cutscene looked great, the story text was little slow after it, but fine. After I got "Please Wait...", the screen stayed black forever and I didnt get debriefing when there was no other solution but to abort mission. Still, I could be ready write the review if you dont want to upgrade the mission anymore as suggested on earlier posts. That stucked black screen, would need a fix if possible. But at the end, it dosent affect on the mission if only debriefing is meant to display after it. Does the mission end right on ArmA 2 1.05 or 1.07? I played with Combined Operations so that could broke it.

EDIT: Okay, I have started to write review of this mission. Should be ready in 1-3weeks.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 13:51:19 by SaOk »

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #66 on: 17 Sep 2010, 00:30:42 »

Hi SaOk,

Just thought I'd reply although I got your PM.

story text was little slow
Actually, i was trying to find a way of making it a bit longer so people had enough time to read it all :)

The "please wait" is right at the end before, about 10 seconds left. There is no de-breifing as everything is explained in the preceeding text. As you say, I think "Combined Operation" may be the culprit as it has not been reported before and we have not ever seen it happen (both ArmA 2 1.05 or 1.07 as far as I know) and perhaps explains why you had to wait so long as it should be about 14 seconds between pages.

Look forward to your review.

Regards

Arkon

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #67 on: 04 Nov 2010, 10:26:31 »
It took long but the review is finally ready and readable here:
http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=265