Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ArmA - Single player Beta Testing "offline" ?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline gambla

• Members
ArmA - Single player Beta Testing "offline" ?
« on: 08 Mar 2010, 10:04:03 »
Hi guys,
i would like to know if you got any staff shortage with this section or any other issues. I'm aware that Arma 2 is out and it's not urgent any way, but just let us know.  :)
thanks

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
Re: ArmA - Single player Beta Testing "offline" ?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2010, 12:00:19 »
Officially I would not say it's offline, but I think I can speak for many here that when you play ArmA II it is very hard to go back to ArmA. Some of us, like myself, don't even own ArmA anymore (sold for a sweet $15 :D). I am not sure if there are still people wiling to beta test ArmA missions, which is unfortunate.

If you want your campaign to get some more testing and feedback you can try posting it on the BI Forums as well. The ArmA forums there are still relatively active. Good luck.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2010, 13:45:22 »
Thanks Zipper5,
i do understand. But i'm a bit disappointed as ofpec was always very professional in testing and releasing users-mission. Leaving it this way isn't the behaviour that i expected here. I suggest that ofpec should have a little discussion and closes this sub-forum if necessary. Would just be fair for all.

thanks 

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2010, 14:04:12 »
Even though I own and still have ArmA installed (not that I play it), I haven't got Queen's Gambit! That's another thing you need to consider after all.

Also, beta-testing and indeed reviewing is done by volunteers. It's probably true that ArmA got the shaft in this particular context, but it was a kind of "in-between" game, really. Considering I get about the same frames in ArmA and Arma 2 right now, I really don't see any reason why I should go back to ArmA  :D Embrace the new!

Wolfrug out.

"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2010, 14:48:08 »
It probably won't be closed as people still play and edit for ArmA, and we do occasionally get people here who come and review an ArmA mission. It's the same with the OFP depot. But, as Wolfrug says, mostly everyone in the BIS community prefers to play ArmA II over ArmA, including myself. Nonetheless, there are still those who prefer to play ArmA, or play both.

As I said, you can always try posting it on the BI Forums and see if people take interest in it. The ArmA forums are still fairly active over there.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2010, 15:26:38 »
It's not hard to understand why people play Arma 2 right now. And sure i can post it at BI Forums or somewhere else, no question about that. But you miss the point. I'm just asking how you deal with new posts in these forums ? Is it wanted here that a user posts a request to test his mission and then he's waiting for weeks or months without any little comment about the situation ?

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2010, 18:32:54 »
Of course not, I would always try to avoid that as much as possible. It's unfortunate that you made your new campaign for ArmA and released it so late after ArmA II had come out. By that time most had moved on to ArmA II, including myself. Therefore, there were/are very few still testing missions for ArmA.

While I agree that you deserve to be notified about something along these lines, I personally would not tell you that I'm going to bother testing your mission because I no longer play ArmA. That would make your obvious hard work out to be have been a waste of time, which is far from what I'd want to make you think. But the way OFPEC has always worked is that if I want to test and review a mission, I can, and if I don't, I don't have to. It's a volunteer system. Others are always welcome to come along and test it for you, hence why we leave it open.

I am sorry that you've received no feedback on your campaign, and if I still had ArmA I'd reinstall it and test it for you, but most have moved on to ArmA II, including myself. I wouldn't be completely discouraged from someone testing your campaign, but I wouldn't want you to expect it to happen right this second.

Out of curiosity, do you own ArmA II? Since you like ArmA as much as you do, I'm sure you'd love it.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2010, 10:09:23 »
Thank you Zipper5, i give it a try at BI forums. I belive that there are still a lot of ArmA 1 players who will appreciate a new campaign for the old ArmA.
You know my first part of the campaign is hosted here, is there any way to host the final version of part 2 here as well ?

I'm not quite sure if i'll buy ArmA 2 as i would again need a stronger rig. But that's another big discussion then...

cheers

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #8 on: 09 Mar 2010, 12:27:47 »
For that to happen it would require a review. We would have to get someone on the staff who still owns and plays ArmA who'd be willing to review it. If you believe your campaign to be final, add (PLEASE REVIEW), or something along those lines, to your thread's title and when someone comes along to review it, you will get it hosted here.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2010, 12:46:13 »
Thanks

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #10 on: 09 Mar 2010, 14:34:34 »
Maybe I could test your mission,where is it?
I am a different kind of man maybe,because I am preferring ArmA over ArmA 2..
Or I play ArmA more than ArmA 2 (maybe my old system is the reason why I play ArmA more)

You'll see a huge blob of texture when you fired an ak-47 or other guns in the first person mode(which is really annoying)
When prone in Third-Person,the player's weapon is half-sink in the ground,and some kind of sudden movement (like Switchmove) occurs each time you pressed any movement keys.
The weapon recoil is somewhat un-realistic.(ArmA's recoil system is better i think).
Driving in ArmA 2 is not even as good as ArmA. (Ofp is the best here)

Sorry,I've wrote a lot here....
anyway, don't get disapointed,if your mission is finished ,contact Foxhound in ArmAHolic and send him the mission,he'll upload it into the ArmAHolic Server.
(I was surprised by the number of downloads I got the next day from the uploaded date! more than hundred people have downloaded it in just a day)

Regards,
Haroon1992

Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2010, 17:26:42 »
Sorry for being so late to respond to this thread. Your mission is not in vain though. We will eventually get around to testing and offering you feedback but as they have mentioned before, we are all volunteers here and though we love to play or test missions, we have real lives going on as well as our own projects and interests that manage to steal our time. Since we seem to have plenty of testers for Arma2, I have dropped back to the OFP boards to manage those for a while before stepping up to the Arma series again. Rest assured, yours will get tested eventually but it is among a list of others in Arma as well.

While we are speaking about testing, it is a common courtesy here at OFPEC to help each other out by testing other folks missions and offering feedback in a constructive manner while they in return will do the same for you(not always the case but more often than not). So until I can make my way back up the boards, why not do some testing on your own? I have no doubts that folks would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry again for the delay because I know your excited about what others think of your work but please be patient and don't count us out.

And as always this site is "By the community For the community"

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:58:21 »
@Haroon1992: Thank you very much, find it here:  http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=33772.0 

You know, the hosting of the mission is not the problem. But imho all people who come to ofpec in first place like to have tested their missions not only for bug fixing but as well to gain a good quality standard. Thanks for the info anyway.

Have fun playing and testing, shouldn't be too buggy.

@savedbygrace: Thanks again, great that i still can count on you guys. And as said before, it wasn't my intention to put any kind of pressure in it, but after some days i was a bit disappointed as i got the feeling to get no response at all.

As i have a break with my own campaign now, i'm looking forward to test some other missions here (Arma 1 only).  If you guys want me to test a particular one, just send me a message.