Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How do you set up Proxies and a custom view Range  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
Re: How do you set up Proxies and a custom view Range
« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:54:01 »
Arh! Interesting twist!

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2010, 11:38:21 »
 in my river tiles  i have  

0 res lod           
 100  res lod
 900 res lod   

texture on  all 3 above lod = ca\structures\pond\data\normalmap1_dxt5.paa
 material on all 3 above lod =ca\structures\pond\data\calmwater01.rvmat       

roadway LOD 

texture on above lod  = ca\structures\pond\data\watersurface_ca.paa

works fine for me at distance and all lods have same textures as the Cube in the water test i sent ya , obviously Lodnoshadow 1  s property in al res to avoid this darkening effect.
 i did however have a problem with certain angles at distance but i reduced the angle of the land , yours is a lake so i guess you shouldn't have this effect .

here is a snippit which is commented about water  from the Bin incase you struggle achievin what you need with the above and decide to go for the  general water option .

Code: [Select]
class CfgMaterials
{
  // Water material is used for sea landscape parts
  class Water
  {
    PixelShaderID = "Water";
    VertexShaderID = "Water"; // mutlipass/alpha is not used on water

//ambient[] = {0.4,0.4,0.5,0.6}; /// last number is water alpha
    //diffuse[] = {0.95,0.95,1,1};
    //ambient[] = {0.4,0.4,0.5,0.6}; /// last number is water alpha
    //diffuse[] = {0.47,0.47,0.5,1};

// color when there is no water texture
    /// applied to both deep and shallow water
    // Alpha is the basic transparency on water depth 0 (shore)
    ambient[] = {0.016,0.0264,0.040,0.4};
    /// applied to shallow water only, based on light direction
    diffuse[] = {0.032,0.128,0.128,1.0};
    forcedDiffuse[] = {0,0,0,0};

//diffuse[] = {0,0,0,1.0};
    //forcedDiffuse[] = {0.078,0.098,0.115,1.0};

specular[] = {1,1,1,0};
    specularPower = 4;
    emmisive[] = {0,0,0,0};

class Stage1
    {
      // normal map expected here
      texture="#(rgb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,1.0,1)";
      uvSource="texWaterAnim";
      class uvTransform
      {
        aside[] = {0,4,0};
        up[]    = {4,0,0};
        dir[]   = {0,0,4};
        pos[]   = {0.2,0.5,0};
      };
    };
    class Stage3
    {
      // special texture expected
      texture="#(ai,16,64,1)waterirradiance(16)";
      uvSource="none";
    };
    class Stage4
    {
      // Texture to be overridden by engine
      texture = "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,0.5,1)";
      uvSource="none";
    };
    class Stage5
    {
      // Texture to be overridden by engine
      texture = "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,0.5,1)";
      uvSource="none";
    };
  };

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2010, 11:49:56 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline Archaine

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:08:31 »
Well I have the exact same settings on my lake tiles, calmwater.  It will not appear at a distance, it is as if the engine will not render calmwater beyond a certain point, if I apply any other material it renders fine from afar, I even applied the water to half the faces and default mat to the other half, at a distance only the faces with the default mat showed. So my distance rendering is working just not with the water material.

Your water feature may be nestled in a bit more, have you tried viewing it from a chopper from across your world? If it appears then I must have something wrong somewhere, no matter what I do it will not show with the calmwater material beyond a certain distance,  my graphic settings are at about 3000 for view distance, and every graphic category is set to very high, except terrain detail which is on normal.

Also to get my LOD's to work, I had to create extra faces on the 0.000 LOD and then add progressively less to each LOD until my last LOD which is only 1 face, it seems wasteful to add detail that is not needed, is there a way to force an LOD to register as such if it has the same face count as another(just a different material), I noticed that regardless of the numbering, the face count was what mattered, made me wonder why they even number them?  An example: I created a single face(40x40) and put it on 0.000 LOD, then copied it and renamed the LOD to 10 and changed the material, then copied it and renamed it to 100 and changed the material, then copied it and renamed it to 900 and change the material, however only the 0.000 LOD shows no matter what distance, very frustrating.

Played with the lodrequired parameter but not sure how it works yet.

Archaine

The Pic below shows the test tile that has the faces in the center as calmwater and the outer faces just default material.  about the range of the red line is where the water will not show beyond,  the other blue tiles past the line are not water material, just a default material colored blue, that I was trying to make as close to my water as possible to fake the effect, though it seemed a lot of work and I hoped maybe there is a solution elsewhere, like a parameter that will allow the water to render further.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2010, 09:52:47 »

hmm very strange indeed,
 the front tiles look like they are suffering from this layer that bis put in to hide AI at distance , i thought they got rid of that and now they sink them in the ground or something ?

anyway pls try the attached tile , i apologise but i am very busy  at the moment and its hard for me to even start aram2 with all the windows i have open.

how high above the actual terrain is your water ?
 yout tiles look like they have the wrong setting somewhere too, there angled agains the terrain ( semi sunk) . select all  and  tab points > properties in each lod  are all lods the same ? Normal , on surface or above etc ?

do you have land contact or memory lod with snap to points  ?

for an experiment if this dont work i suggest you alter your mask and give your lake a unique texture at the bottom blueish colour, then in your island config re jig the Water in cfg surfaces to match your lake bottom textures, see if that helps with this masking the distance view of the lake .

I love ofp

Offline Archaine

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2010, 22:05:18 »
I just threw the planes on the terrain in visitor, so some of them are partly submerged under the ground, the issue is with the water texture in center portion of the tiles, it does not show past the red line, even though the default material around it shows just fine(all one object).  It's like the water has a different range setting than the regular materials?

I will check out your file this evening,  thanks for your assistance.

Archaine