Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP/COOP-7] Crash and Grab (Review Completed)  (Read 7930 times)

Offline AnimalMother

• rebl
  • Members
  • Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
    • DH project space
Re: [SP/COOP-7] Crash and Grab (REVIEW PLEASE)
« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2010, 00:06:50 »
The medic behavior is because of ACE mod, the medic automatically goes to heal any injured team members. Same with the ambient voices, it's a module that you can place provided by ACE.

I haven't noticed the briefing disappearing, but I'll check it out again.

As for the lack of action in some parts, that's the feel I wanted. I wanted the enemy to be huddled safely at their camp because they're not expecting a heavily armed enemy SF team to drop down on them. The focus leading up the combat is hopefully the weather and tension of trying to get close to the pilot undetected. :good:

I'd be happy if you reviewed it, thanks!

*edit*
Just ran through it again.
Up to date required addons and 1.05 beta patch of Arma 2.
Briefing didn't disappear for me after the objective was completed. So I don't know what caused it for you.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 02:54:37 by AnimalMother »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:15:57 »
Okay, I will play this trought couple more times and finish the review in about 1-2 weeks. You can still fix the briefing bug if you find it. I have never seen that bug before so maybe it's just error in MOD. I will send you a message when the review is done. :)

Offline Variable

• Members
  • Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
    • Comrades in Arms
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2010, 19:33:32 »
SaOk did a nice overview of all the layouts so I will concentrate on my experience during the mission itself. Just to mention one thing about the intro: as far as I remember the intro was of the AA station taking down the F-35, and not of the insertion Helo... Did I play a different version? Anyway, I liked it.

The insertion was atmospheric. The choice of bad weather, along with the playing background theme was excellent. As for SaOk, my medic was sometimes under "Move" condition and then "Ready", so I had to make it return to formation every 30 seconds or so. I made my way to the AA station and took out the guarding Russians. Trying to attack the camp, where the pilot is held captive, from an elevated position was a disaster due to the fire my team took from the forces in the town itself, so I tried a different, stealthier, approach.

I sneaked through the valley at the back of the camp where the pilot was being held. I took out one long range weapons patrol and sprint to the captive pilot. To my surprise, he was not guarded at all. I was sure that in no time some reinforcements will be on my tail but none arrived, which was somewhat disappointing.

I made my way to the extraction zone, boarded the chopper and extracted to safety.

Conclusion

Ironically, the first failed attempt of mine, hold the promise of a more exciting mission than it turned out to be. When I actually succeeded to get to the base on the second attempt and bug out with no significant firefights (apart from that single patrol), I felt that I found a "too easy back door" to your mission plan.

The mission is currently simple and a nice one but I do feel that if some more interest will be put to it, it will be much better. My recommendation is to put more guards in the close proximity of the pilot (I wouldn't go for them killing the pilot, in case of a rescue attempt, they are Russians and not Al Qaeda after all...). Moreover, one of the known secrets for triggering adrenalin rush is making the extraction zone hot. Put some triggered patrols that will open fire on the extraction chopper. It has door gunners, let them do their jobs! You can also trigger the chopper automatically after rescuing the pilot and then make the player rush to the LZ to clear it before it arrives. Have the chopper make some machine gun passes over the LZ before it lands. And put the chopper under some significant danger, unless the player reacts quickly and violently.

Such feature alone could make the mission much more exciting than it is right now.

Having said that, the mission has nice atmospheric features, fun and worth playing.

Thank you for creating missions!

Variable

Offline AnimalMother

• rebl
  • Members
    • DH project space
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2010, 21:28:39 »
1.3 is the current version and has the AA site intro, so you played the latest. It's a lot better than 1.2  :-[

Based on the feedback I think I will add some patrols or more units near the pilot. There is one squad set to defend the pilot's location with the other squads being in the town. Usually they all come running when the shooting starts (at least with ZeusAI).

Now about the chopper, those are some cool ideas but sadly I barely trust the AI pilots to fly me from point A to B, much less do gun runs at a hot LZ. They're just too stupid. What do you guys think of a QRF (quick reaction force) idea? Meaning that after the shooting starts/SF team is seen, that reinforcements will show up after some time. That would make extracting the pilot quickly more essential.

Thanks.

*edit*
So, I've worked on v1.4 a bit. I have changed the following:
ACE stamina system disabled
Added more checkpoints and defenses
Added enemy quick reaction force

The mission is "spiced-up" more. You'll need to act quickly in order to get the pilot out before reinforcements arrive. Also you may have some encounters during your travels to and from the hostage site  :whistle: :whistle:
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2010, 01:40:31 by AnimalMother »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2010, 00:11:04 »
I can wait for that 1.4 version and review it if you want? Mission is definitely needing a "spiced-up"-version. Also if you manage to improve the medic behaviour then that would be even more better. But it could be a bug from mod. I didnt have the disapearing briefing bug today so it was definitely a random game bug.

« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2010, 00:14:24 by SaOk »

Offline AnimalMother

• rebl
  • Members
    • DH project space
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2010, 10:27:55 »
Yes here is v1.4 beta. I've tried to improve on the points mentioned. If you come across anything weird let me know and I will fix it.

Changelog:
v1.4 beta
ACE stamina system disabled
Added more checkpoints and defenses
Added enemy quick reaction force
Added ACE spectator system for MP

Download: http://562ndsappers.dyndns.org/animalmother/files/Crash_and_Grab.7z

*Edit 4/26*
I've uploaded v1.4.1 beta with some improvements to the QRF and patrols, as well as general polish.
Basically I've got it set up now so that the QRF will be summoned when your team fires near the camp.  :good:
When this occurs, alarms will be raised in the camp and that means you'll have some nasty visitors soon!
Thanks for the feedback guys, I feel this version is a lot more exciting.

Changelog:
v1.41 beta
QRF will show up sooner
When guns are fired near the camp, alarms will sound and the QRF is called
Improved patrol locations
Briefing works after respawn in MP
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2010, 05:29:07 by AnimalMother »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2010, 13:22:23 »
Looks like that bad medic behaviour is coming from ACE "first aid"-module. Do you really want to keep it in mission? Its making the group commanding quite frustrating. The first aid modules from orginal game would work definitely better.  ;)

The review is coming but it will still take some time.

Edit: I played the 1.4.1 version trought and spotted some new bugs - the POW walked trought the wires before I opened the gate. And at the extraction the chopper arrived but flew away without landing. I waited long but it didnt come back.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2010, 22:59:39 by SaOk »

Offline AnimalMother

• rebl
  • Members
    • DH project space
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2010, 02:18:01 »
I have reported that medic bug to the ACE team and hopefully they will fix it.
http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10403

I like the rest of the features of that module though. Funny that you encountered those bugs because I didn't change anything regarding those 2 points. With the pilot: I will look at the trigger again. For the chopper, perhaps it got scared off and refused to land? It has no waypoint after landing so it shouldn't go anywhere.  ???

Take your time with the review, no rush. I want to iron out these things you find for sure  :good:
« Last Edit: 01 May 2010, 02:25:21 by AnimalMother »

Offline AnimalMother

• rebl
  • Members
    • DH project space
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2010, 05:54:54 »
If you update your ACE mod, the medic bug will be fixed as of today :)

I'm glad they sorted that out, also here is 1.4.2 which should fix the 2 bugs you found (gate trigger and chopper landing).

http://www.filefront.com/16360231/Crash_and_Grab.7z

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2010, 10:58:16 »
Nice, I will play this 1.4.2 trought and finish the review. :)

Offline AnimalMother

• rebl
  • Members
    • DH project space
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2010, 07:58:03 »
All working okay SaOk? Anything I need to fix?

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 May 2010, 11:49:20 »
Everything works great. The review is almost ready, but I still need to rewrite few small parts and check the grammar.

Edit: Review is ready. You can find it here:
http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=252
« Last Edit: 13 May 2010, 14:43:30 by SaOk »