Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-10 The Beachhead v0.91 (Beta)  (Read 4595 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Mission "1-10 The Beachhead v0.91" by Laggy.

Public 0.91 Beta version.

Mission description: You are a Force Recon team that has to prepare and participate in a beach landing on Utes.

ArmAII version 1.05

Needed Addons: None

Known bugs: None.

Thanks to: All of you at the OFPEC forum.

Credits: Nominesine for serious playtesting.

Important changes in version:

- Added some SMAW launchers in the zodiacs.
- The hind at the airport should no longer stand-by after a while.
- Clarified briefing a little.

Missiontype: Multiplayer COOP, but SP is possible.
Players: 1-10
Mission Time: Around 60 min, maybe more.
Island: Utes
Mission Version: 0.91 beta
Parameters: Yes (Time of day)
Time: Varies
Weather: Overcast

Missionwork: This is a pretty straight forward mission that includes both a stealth sabotage objective and a full on beach assault. The whole island of Utes is populated, enemies as well as civilians hopefully behave in a realistic way. Custom sounds, dialogue and scripts.

Hope you enjoy it. My wish is that I've created a fun mission.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2010, 21:30:15 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-10 The Beachhead v0.90 (Beta)
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2010, 15:33:39 »
We tried this mission a few times last night. 

The briefing was really well done and I didn't see a single error. Top notch work there!
Great job on the custom voices too. They were very clear.

Overall the objectives seemed really tough like we were under powered for all the enemy vehicles.
The helo seemed to attack us and then took up a position and then didn't move for a long time. This is at the runway.  Ammo seemed to be a problem too, we found our selves running back down to the boats to reammo.
We weren't able to finish any of the objectives but we sure had a lot of fun trying.

The only thing I disliked was the crow when you died.

Nice job.
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2010, 18:55:44 »
Thanks for the positive feedback Hoz,

Q1 Was the mission TOO difficult? me and nominesine pulled it of to the landing most of the times we tried it.
Q2 Should I mention the necessity of stealth tactic in the briefing, or is that already obvious?
Q3 Hard work for me, but do you think a difficulty level option is absolutely necessary?
Q4 What is the best userfriendly spectating script for ArmA2 in your opinion?

Cheers,

Laggy
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2010, 18:57:35 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2010, 20:09:25 »
A1  We found it difficult but only played it a couple of times.
A2 I think you should mention about being stealthy
A3  We just found it difficult over all. how about some smaws? Maybe a no grass option.
A4 Well both from Norrins revive and bas frame work have similar and functioning ones.
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb 2010, 20:47:26 »
Thanks again  :good:

Laggy

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-10 The Beachhead v0.91 (Beta)
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2010, 21:21:33 »
Mission updated to version 0.91

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:58:50 »
Gave this another try this evening version .92.  For the most part no issues its starting to get a bit easier. No really issues seen yet. The only thing worth mentioning is that the tower always seems to be in the same location. Only once have we seen it in the other spots.

Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2010, 18:38:43 »
Thanks again  :)

the tower always seems to be in the same location

Randomized through markers, so I guess you have experienced the possible repetition in randomness  :D

Cheers and thanks,

Laggy

Offline Bahger

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2010, 19:24:50 »
I played this with interest as it is obviously an expertly-constructed mission.

I have a couple of questions about SP gameplay aspects:

- As noted above, the stealth phase is very difficult, partly because the game's inbuilt coding makes it so difficult to get your team to bypass enemies, even in stealth/hold fire mode.  They hang back and get in a fight when human players would simply bypass and move on.  This is no fault of the mission designer but it does make the stealth portion of the scenario frustrating.

- Any engagement with the Red patrols, even using silenced weapons, seems to bring an APV and helos onto the team's head, resulting in a pitched battle that Blue is bound to lose.  When combined with the difficulties in bypassing (see above), there is a bit of a frustration-loop here, in SP anyway.

- I felt under-equipped, even after looking at what was available in the boat.  I think the player should be able to deploy a sniper rifle, or at least the silenced M16 he gets as default, but with better optics, like the ACOG.  This is not an available option.

- What does the option to spawn the other SpecOps unit under the player's command by radio actually do? Have they arrived at a different location?  Is there an RV point?

I'm going to give this another go.  Please take all the above observations as constructive.  It is quite obvious that Laggy is an expert mission designer.  My comments relate to gameplay issues, and SP at that.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2010, 20:01:19 »
As noted above, the stealth phase is very difficult, partly because the game's inbuilt coding makes it so difficult to get your team to bypass enemies, even in stealth/hold fire mode.

In playing MP I just left the rest of the team in the boat and therefore didnt  have to tell the units to not engage. Not sure how well this works in SP tho and with 2 players you can easily snipe out the pilots if this happens at the  first base.

Any engagement with the Red patrols, even using silenced weapons, seems to bring an APV and helos onto the team's head, resulting in a pitched battle that Blue is bound to lose.

Take some shots get the most important kills then retreat  for a bit. Make the enemy come to you a few at a time.

I felt under-equipped, even after looking at what was available in the boat.

I did too. But after 4 or 5 attempts there is enough to do the job.... barely. :) 

@LAggy BTW  there is a bug in mp that forces the ammo to spill out on to the ground and in some cases into the water.  It could be that boats are over loaded with ammo, you may want to pop a ammo box up  at the front of the boat for ammo. Not sure if you have seen this but i can take a snap shot if you want.

What does the option to spawn the other SpecOps unit under the player's command by radio actually do? Have they arrived at a different location?  Is there an RV point?

I think this means to have the other boat join you're group so your group becomes bigger. We only used this once, perferring to be able to teamswitch to the other boat once all the first groups units we're killed... a 'fresh start' if you will.

Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2010, 00:05:53 »
Thanks both  :good:

@ Bahger

As noted above, the stealth phase is very difficult, partly because the game's inbuilt coding makes it so difficult to get your team to bypass enemies, even in stealth/hold fire mode.

Good point, I can easily add a radio trigger script that puts AI on NEVER FIRE, that should work, I used it in Armed Assault.

- Any engagement with the Red patrols, even using silenced weapons, seems to bring an APV and helos onto the team's head, resulting in a pitched battle that Blue is bound to lose.  When combined with the difficulties in bypassing (see above), there is a bit of a frustration-loop here, in SP anyway.

This is an engine aspect I hate myself.

I have therefore made the mission so that the alarm doesn't go off until one of the enemy units actually fire their weapon, meaning if you take them out quickly and are not fired at yourself (silenced making it easier), you should be fine... kind of.

Close to the airport runway it is more dangerous.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2010, 00:09:03 by laggy »

Offline Bahger

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:58:48 »
Laggy, there was one more thing I forgot to mention:

The compass was out of synch when I played the mission.  When, according to the map (north being at twelve o-clock) I was looking, say, due east, back in the HUD I'd bring up the compass ("K") and it would indicate a different facing direction entirely.  It's no big deal, as I could rely on my player direction vector (the red line in my character map icon) to orientate myself, but strange.  If you can't replicate this, don't worry, maybe it's a local anomaly.

Let me state again that I wish I had your mission editing skills.  From an SP gameplay point-of-view, however:

- Personally, I do not believe that randomizing the target locations is the best idea, but that's just my opinion.  I think, realistically, especially as you provide intel-style photos in the briefing, that aerial or human intel would have provided confirmation of these (large, easily photographed) targets in situ before a SpecOps team would be sent in.

- I think the player's team needs greater lethality or it feels too David vs. Goliath.  More men (I'm going to call in the second team next time and see how that plays) and/or better weapon optics. 

-Because it is so difficult to accomplish true stealth with the game's over-aggressive AI, the presence of enemy APCs which spot the player requires him to destroy them with AT weapons.  This decreases immersion for me, as Red could see/hear those explosions from miles away, at which point the operation is not stealthy at all.  If this were my mission, I'd substitute heavily armored UAZs for the APCs because they can be taken down stealthily with small-arms.  Some of them have nasty rocket launchers and .50-cals and can make the Blue team's life very difficult if spotted but because they can be eliminated without lighting up the whole battlefield, the notion of stealth would be much more effectively served.  Just a suggestion.

As you can tell, both of these comments go to gameplay balance.  Right now, the mission is tilted too far in favor of an alert, well-equipped and numerically overwhelming Red force against a tiny, under-equipped, unsupported Blue SpecOps team.  For the sake of tactical authenticity as well as gameplay balance, I'd prefer to play it, as Blue, knowing that, unless I screw up, I can retain the initiative.  This is difficult to code with the limitations of the AI -- i.e. their tendency to pick fights when they should be bypassing targets stealthily -- but because there is nothing you can do about that, I think you need a "force multiplier" for Blue.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2010, 19:00:38 »
Personally, I do not believe that randomizing the target locations is the best idea,

I do, it really adds to the re-playability of a mission. Meaning it changes up the mission enough that you want to play it again even if you have already conquered the mission several times. Check out wipers mission in the Mission Depot. Its an excellent example of how you can play that mission many times and no two scenarios are the same.

I think the player's team needs greater lethality or it feels too David vs. Goliath.  More men (I'm going to call in the second team next time and see how that plays) and/or better weapon optics. 

I thought this too after 2 run attempts.  But now that we've played a dozen or so times it becomes easier and even predictable.

one thing to maybe mention.. when the tower is at the north west location, the helo still takes off and just basically sits idle.  I would either have it patrol around that specific location or just not have it take off.

Xbox Rocks