Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: CAMP - Dogs Of War [Review completed]  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
CAMP - Dogs Of War [Review completed]
« on: 28 Jan 2010, 22:00:11 »

Author: Potatomasher
Version: 1.8
Required Addons: None

Campaign Description: This is a fictional campaign of conflict between insurgents, Russia and US in soil of Chernarus.
You take the role of different soldiers of USMC in this campaign. A kind of like OFP:CWC.
You'll be leading regular infantry grunts to assault towns, flying air raids with AH-64D/AH-1Z, supporting troops with UH-1Y, leading spec ops unit to gather intelligence info & destroy enemy defences, commanding tank platoon to victory and more.

Features:
- Coop compatible
- Custom load out in spec ops missions
- No unrealistic infiltrate base type missions
- Fade to Black mission has two endings

Known Bugs: In missions where you are extracted enemies near LZ, the chopper sometimes breaks off from waypoint. Just order your squad to get in and the chopper should land. If there are no enemies near the chopper, it lands perfectly on the spot.

ChangeLog:

Changelog V. 1.8

- Some changes to patrol mission.
- Extraction choppers helipad area changed so that crashes shouldn't happen. (Black forest & Nightside eclipse)

Changelog V. 1.7

- Added quotes to loading screens.
- Village sweep mission improved. Longer mission with support during battle and enemy reinforcements.  
- Removed ambient civilian vehicles from Nightside Eclipse and more ammo added in loadout.
- Grim Reaper mission improved. Punishment for trigger happy people...
- Waypoint behauviour changes to enemy units & extraction chopper.

Changelog V. 1.6

- Added radio chat at the end of the missions.
- Added some objects,weapon/ammo boxes and markers to couple of missions.
- Briefing tweaks.
- some minor tweaks here & there.

Changelog V. 1.5

- fixed all the script errors i found in intro/outro and in missions.
- Moved all conversation by player or HQ to sidechat.
- Now tasks automatically activate the next one after completing the task before.
- Patrol mission now has added stuff like civilians.

Changelog V. 1.4

- Added Intro
- Added Outro
- Added medi tent to Wrath Of God mission

Changelog V. 1.3

- Added new spec ops mission Fade To Black before Air Raid mission.
- Fixed triggers that didn't showed extraction task completed
- Some minor change to black forest ending trigger
- Some minor tweaks

Changelog V. 1.2

- Added whole new mission
- Added coop support
- Added snipers around town Novy Sobor in Wrath of God mission
- Added some objects and fortifications to couple of missions
- Increased difficulty of Spec Ops missions
- Some minor tweaks

Changelog V. 1.1

- Added Battlefield clearance to all infantry missions
- Trigger fix in Air Raid mission
- Fixed couple of typos
- Changed some enemy placements

Download links:
http://www.filefront.com/15636617/DogsOfWar_V1.8.rar
Armaholic mirror:
- Dogs of War
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2010, 18:15:40 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: CAMP - Dogs Of War
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2010, 15:05:30 »
Nice to see a new finn here :)

I played the campaign to third mission's second task. I am going to play more later but here is my first report:

Intro:
Flaws/Bugs:
-Intro chould be a separate cutscene (not a mission) - empty briefing was now displayed before the intro
-Intro have many errors (are you using -showScriptErrors in game shortcut?):
Code: [Select]
Error in expression <_camera camPrepareTarget [tank]>
  Error position: <camPrepareTarget [tank]>
  Error 1 elements provided, 3 expected
Error in expression <_camera camPrepareTarget [s1]>
  Error position: <camPrepareTarget [s1]>
Error in expression <_camera camPrepareTarget [tank]>
  Error position: <camPrepareTarget [tank]>
Error in expression <_camera camPrepareTarget [s1]>
  Error position: <camPrepareTarget [s1]>

Solution example:
_camera camPrepareTarget (position s1);
1. Mission
Overally: I felt the mission was very empty.  The walk to last task wasnt very exciting. You could add more details to see and maybe hear.

Flaws/Bugs:
-Mission started with this error:
Error in expression <// create a task>
  Error position: <// create a task>
  Error Invalid number in expression
Error in expression <eateSimpleTask ["powerline section 1"]; // adds a task w/o desc or marker>
  Error position: <// adds a task w/o desc or marker>
Error in expression <eateSimpleTask ["powerline section 2"]; // adds a task w/o desc or marker>
Error in expression <eateSimpleTask ["powerline section 3"]; // adds a task w/o desc or marker>

Your comments may cause the errors in this and later errors.

-1.task should automatically activate the next one after completeing:
player setCurrentTask taskname;-Many sentences are starting with small letter
-Spoken words are written center of the screen (change "plain" to "plain down" in all missions)
-Replace task-hints with radiochatting (sidechat-command)
-Some of the enemies at 3. task wasnt reacting to nearby gunfight
-Mission ended instantly after running over the waypoint marker (you could add radiochat before ending the mission slowly with black screen)

2. Mission
Overally: A much more interesting mission than the first one - a good simple village clearing mission.

Flaws/Bugs:
Error in expression <r createSimpleTask ["Assault village"]; // adds a task w/o desc or marker>

-Two enemies near a truck looked like they wasnt reacting to anything
-Mission ended instantly after clearing the town without any radiochats

3. Mission
Overally: A good mission (I havent got trought the 2. task yet)

Bugs/Flaws:

-There was no clue who was talking to player at "meet contact"-task (You could add a name before the spoken text)
-2. task wasnt automatically activated after completeing the first task
-Is it possible to complete the second task without going extreme close to enemy units in the village?
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2010, 16:38:04 by SaOk »

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2010, 16:59:28 »
Yes, another finsk here.  :)

Thanks SAOK for looking on my campaign.  
No i didn't used -showScriptErrors.
Didn't even thought that so many errors might be there when everything seemed to work fine.
Now i know what i need to do when i have time.  :D

The patrol mission is like a prologue mission so it's very easy. Like in many other games the first one is "walk in the park". Though i agree it's boring. Have to think some changes to it perhaps.

M3,task 2 - No, there's just basic trigger area near warehouse so you need to get pretty close. Or just eliminate any resistance from woods and then move on to near warehouse.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update.

Ok. Now i have done this

- fixed all the script errors i found in intro/outro and in missions.
- Moved all conversation by player or HQ to sidechat.
- Now tasks automatically activate the next one after completing the task before.
- Patrol mission now has added stuff like civilians.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update.

This is now most likely final version. I didn't found any script errors anymore or anything else fatal. So if anyone want to review please do.

Changelog V. 1.6

- Added radio chat at the end of the missions.
- Added some objects,weapon/ammo boxes and markers to couple of missions.
- Briefing tweaks.
- some minor tweaks here & there.

« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2010, 11:05:03 by Potatomasher »

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb 2010, 11:40:50 »
Ok here are my first impressions of this campaign:

Overview

The overview is nicely done, especially the Apache is something I am looking forward to fly.

Intro

The intro has good camera angles and plenty of action, but it is a bit too generic for my liking. I see that there is war, but I don't know why, or who actually fight against whom. In this respect, it fails to tell a story.

Briefing

The briefing is short and to the point, but so is the task at hand. However, another opportunity of telling a background story through the notes has been missed here.

Mission

The mission itself starts with the player and his medic by the road, where this pair has to inspect some powerlines. For realism's sake I would add a civilian to the group, an employee from the power company who would assess the damage, since a grunt is not normally an electricity technician.
Interestingly enough, we come to the scene of a car accident that should be improved.
The scene right now is that of 2 cars standing face to face on the road, apparently undamaged. 2 women standing at the side of the road, doing nothing. A police car pulling up with 2 policemen getting out and staring into the mist.

Since the police is already there, I place the mission first and continue my inspection. At the 3rd powerline segment I am suddenly struck by enemy gunfire and I am immediately killed. I had to do a few retries to solve this situation. I believe that it could be a bit easier, that the enemy saboteurs should be the ones that are surprised, not the USMC team that is already suspecting something. I just don't like to be shot up out of the blue. After the 2 saboteurs and a small team of reinforcements are killed, the mission ends immediately.

Outro

No outro present.

Conclusion

An average first campaign mission that needs improval in several areas.

Recommendations

*Since you already have an intro, why not tell a story with it, e.g. how the war started, who is fighting, how the player got involved in the situation, what is the situation like (has the war just begun, or is it winding down).
*Add a civilian power company employee to your team.
*Improve the accident scene: Damage the cars, maybe one of the woman sits down as she is injured, the other one comforts her under many excuses. This is the point where you could use your medic.
*Then the police arrives, talks to you and the civilians and the police takes them from there, so you are good to go on your mission
*Personally I would like to have some kind of warning at the powerline sabotage site, not a bullet that strucks out of nowhere.

Cheers

Mathias
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2010, 12:05:17 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb 2010, 19:27:47 »
Thanks mathias for the feedback and great ideas.

Yeah i admit the intro may be a bit simple, but even that took me some time do.  :D
The scene of the intro is taken from mission middle of campaign so the big picture opens after when player has completed that mission. Hopefully.  :)

Good ideas for patrol mission. Strange that you got shot so quickly. Do you use ZEUS AI or something ?
I found it too easy firefight mostly. In fact i don't remember if i have died once there.

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2010, 21:20:32 »
Nope, I don't use ZEUS, but I have JTD effects installed, maybe these are doing things to the AI as well?

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2010, 12:47:47 »
No i don't think JTD affects AI. Sometimes it's just bad luck i guess.

*Personally I would like to have some kind of warning at the powerline sabotage site, not a bullet that strucks out of nowhere.

I though the sidechat line was enough for a warning. "Look the powerline's down".
And in that spot you can observe that right side of the line is indeed missing. Also if you look straight W you should see enemy soldier messing with one of the pillars that hold the power lines.
Though i added the saboteur animation and removed one segment of the power lines just recently in V.1.7

But yes you got great ideas to that car accident scene that i must try to implement in this mission if i can.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2010, 12:08:26 by bedges »

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: CAMP - Dogs Of War [review version]
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2010, 23:07:21 »
Hey Potatomasher, does [review version] actually mean that you are looking for a review to the mission depot, complete with score? Since the common request is [Please review]. If so, the mission should be definitely final, but your last post suggests otherwise.

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
Re: CAMP - Dogs Of War [please review]
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2010, 11:16:04 »
Yes i'm looking for review now. The version 1.8 is final. Sorry for confusion.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2010, 12:07:12 by bedges »

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: CAMP - Dogs Of War [Under review]
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2010, 12:47:27 »
I just can't take the second mission anymore, it throws a shitload of superior enemy numbers against my reduced squad, plus a BMP and I have neither sufficient AT missiles nor fire support. Serious balancing problem here.

I therefore withdraw from reviewing this campaign.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2010, 20:36:43 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
I just can't take the second mission anymore, it throws a shitload of superior enemy numbers against my reduced squad, plus a BMP and I have neither sufficient AT missiles nor fire support. Serious balancing problem here.

I therefore withdraw from reviewing this campaign.

Come on, it can't be that hard if you don't use any AI enhancing mods.  :)
Use of regular combat tactics usually is enough for good outcome.

You have 2 AT and 1 AA guy in your team plus you can take the LAV and cause havoc with that.
Also when i did this campaign i never ever used the "god mode" like some other mission makers have done so it definetly isn't impossible.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2010, 18:29:54 by Potatomasher »

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Ok, I managed to beat the mission, but my opinion is reinforced that I would not call this mission a good one.
See, this time, the BMP came towards me and my AT gunner was able pick it off. The combat was fluid and interesting, until the village was clear - or so it seemed. But what you did afterwards was throwing several waves of enemy infantry against my sole diminishing squad.

This was the moment where massive disbelief was setting in. The mighty USMC sends just a sole squad to Krasnostav, their APC gets toasted rather quickly. They get medical support but not a single riflemen would reinforce them, yet the rag-tag militia starts attack after attack. This mission becomes a reload orgy, up to the point where all the fun is drained from it. Sure, still a personal opinion, but please ask for further opinions, I am under the suspicion that I am not the only one that could complain.
The mission has the same feeling like the later missions in the BIS ArmA2 campaign where the enemies spawn right behind the corner you just checked seconds ago. Please don't take my rant personally, I just feel that this mission needs more work towards balancing, e.g. USMC reinforcements to keep the fight dynamic and not that -bullet in the head - reload - etc way it is now.

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
I presume this is kind of mission where different play times work very differently. Like sometimes your own AI does better job than in some other time. Like when i tested the mission i completed the mission with just couple of loadings. At the start i disembarked from LAV and retreated like 20 meters back in the field. My AA guy attacked the chopper without ordering him. Then the enemy BMP attacked me, but drove right in the minefield in the road. Then i just lay down and waited most of the enemy troops to attack so we just hold our positions for a while.
When the medical support arrived with humvee. The humvee crew killed many of the enemies with mg fire. All i had to do after that was take out that enemy counterattack bmp and handful of soldiers and snipers.

When i tested the mission i felt the mission was too easy without enemy counterattacks. Now it's more interesting and you really have to use that medi support to patch your wounded troops. And at the same hold of the attack.

No i didn't take this personally at all. I think it's really good that people say what they really think. Because what is worse is silence totally. So you dont really know what people think.

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
I am now through with Fade to black and I encountered a strange thing. The AA in the barn does survive 2 satchels, but needs just a grenade more. This is a potential showstopper, if people think that this is a bug.
Also, the end is very strange. Does it have any meaning for the story of the campaign?

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
I am now through with Fade to black and I encountered a strange thing. The AA in the barn does survive 2 satchels, but needs just a grenade more. This is a potential showstopper, if people think that this is a bug.
Also, the end is very strange. Does it have any meaning for the story of the campaign?

Yes i have heard that if you use ACE2 you can't destroy the tunguska with satchels. In vanilla version the satchels do destroy it. Best way to deal it, is to shoot with smaw through the open doors.
I put a workaround for ACE players. There is weapons cache near AA outside the warehouse.

How do you mean strange ? You mean everyone dies ?
Personally i don't like war movies that has happy endings. I have always liked the cruel endings like in Iron Cross or some old westerns where the hero dies in the end.

Also soldiers in real war don't always complete their missions or survive. They just die or screwed up the mission some other way. Its just reality.  :)

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Hey, I just want to let you know that I finally managed to beat the campaign. Expect a completed review in the coming week.

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
Hey, I just want to let you know that I finally managed to beat the campaign. Expect a completed review in the coming week.

Cheers

Mathias

Cool. I thought my campaign was forgetted.  ;)

I'm suffering now from some age crisis or something. I suddenly lost all interest in gaming, even to ARMA2 which is more than just a game. Also personal life with wife & kids feels really hard now for some reason.

Don't know if i ever get the inspiration back to games. Atleast not for a while, but you never know...

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
This mission has been reviewed, the review can be accessed here:

http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=253

This topic is open for after-review discussion. Have any spectacular stories? Feel free to share them!

Offline Potatomasher

• Members
Re: CAMP - Dogs Of War [Review completed]
« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:57:05 »
This mission has been reviewed, the review can be accessed here:

http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=253

This topic is open for after-review discussion. Have any spectacular stories? Feel free to share them!

Thanks for the review Mathias.  :)