Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: What is lag caused by?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
What is lag caused by?
« on: 10 Jan 2010, 13:32:10 »
My question is simple: What causes lag in OFP?

1) Too many objects placed in mission editor on the map?
2) Too many objects close to each other?
3) Too many enemy/friendly AI units performing complex operations at once?
4) Something else?

This is important to me because I am making massive tank mission, and I do not want it to be unplayable because of lag.

Thank you :good:,
Krieg
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline mboshell

• Members
Re: What is lag caused by?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2010, 15:52:24 »
I'm not nearly as learned as you Krieg, but I've experienced lag when I have too many units in close proximity to one another, causing too much information to be processed on the screen.  When I spread the units out, the lag is minimized.  I hope this helps!

All of the others are great questions that make sense to me in causing lag, but I'm not experienced enough yet to confirm it.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2010, 15:59:56 »
I'm sure (1) is a factor, probably (3) as well. Number (2) may be a factor, because viewing those objects would put a stress on the video card. Triggers and looping scripts also cause lag, because they have to update regularly.

For massive missions, many editors seem to use createunit and createvehicle to spawn new units at the appropriate time, so that they don't put a useless strain on the computer. Deletevehicle can also be used to delete triggers after they've become useless. Since dead bodies continue to take up the computer's energy, there are also a bunch of dead body removal scripts floating around.

Besides that, I'm mostly as far in the dark as you are. :dunno:
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2010, 16:24:40 »
Thanks for both answers! They both helped me! :good:

I've experienced lag when I have too many units in close proximity to one another, causing too much information to be processed on the screen.  When I spread the units out, the lag is minimized.

This will help!

For massive missions, many editors seem to use createunit and createvehicle to spawn new units

I might try this, but since I already did most of the object placing, it is unlikely.

Deletevehicle can also be used to delete triggers after they've become useless.

I did use deleteVehicle to delete useless triggers in "Operation Hellfire", useful little command.

there are also a bunch of dead body removal scripts floating around.

I will check them out!
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.