Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Realistic modeling of red-dot sights  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Aries144

• Members
Realistic modeling of red-dot sights
« on: 09 Jan 2010, 03:32:22 »
I wanted to post a suggestion, mention a quick and dirty fix I found that solves part of the issue, and then propose a better theoretical solution I'll need some help with. (Wasn't quite sure where to post this, so feel free to move.)

I've noticed in BIS weapon models, as well as in all of the addon models I've seen, that the actual size of the "red dot" is way too big (on the order of 20 MOA or so). This makes aiming at a distant target more difficult than it should be. Just for everyone's reference:

1. The dot in an Aimpoint is either 4 MOA or 2 MOA (4 MOA for the M2, M3 could be had with 4 or 2 MOA, and the M4 is 2 MOA). No other dot sizes have been used in the military versions of their optics, to the best of my knowledge, since 2000. This means that the dots for a CompM2 and CompM4 should cover 4 and 2 inches at 100 yards, respectively. (The measurement for Minutes of Angle and Inches is close enough that the difference doesn't matter- error would be about 1/2 inch at 1000 yards)

2. The center aiming "dot" on the Eotech is 1 MOA. The "circle" surrounding it is 65 MOA. This translates into 1 inch and 65 inches at 100 yards, respectively.

The quick and dirty fix for the BIS M4 with Aimpoint doesn't involve changing the model at all- it's all done with the aimpoint dot texture. Specifically, you can simply reduce the size of the "dot" (looks more like a splatter) in the Alpha channel.

Using this simple method, the dot can be reduced, with trial and error testing, to the appropriate size. However, there is still another issue to address: The sight still does not work as it should when you shoot while on the move.

As the game functions now, when firing while walking in the “aiming" view, your shots do not strike where the dot is pointing while your rifle is wobbling around. You don't have a good idea of where your shots will impact. This is because the “dot" in Arma is basically a sticker stuck on the front lens of the Aimpoint. The dot on a real Aimpoint is projected as if it were, say, 100 meters away and will always point at your zeroed point of aim, which allows you to time your shots with the wobble so you can make hits while you're walking across the landscape and shooting at badguys.

The fix I'd like to see for this would be to eliminate the “dot" texture entirely and simply enable the aiming cursor while in the “aimed" view. The aiming cursor, as seen when not in the “aiming" view, provides a nearly perfect representation of how a real red dot works.

You guys think enabling the cursor while in the “aim" view could be possible? I know it's works for turrets on vehicles...

EDIT: Wanted to add some photos to try and illustrate the difficulty with portraying a red-dot weapon sight in a game like Arma.

Here you see two different pictures taken from behind the same model Eotech. The differences between the two images are because of lighting, camera settings, zoom, and the distance of the camera from the unit when the picture was taken. Both of the reticles are of the exact same type and would appear to be the same size were you able to compare them side-by-side.

Here are three images of Aimpoint sights. One is a T1 (mounted on an M249) and the other two are of the CompM2 on my personal rifle. You'll note the extreme bloom effect seen in the picture of the T1. The dots of the Aimpoint T1 and the Aimpoint CompM2 seen in these pictures are, in fact, exactly the same size and would appear so if viewed side-by-side in your hands.

It's these sorts of things that make it extremely difficult for the game or mod maker to accurately depict a red-dot sight without both having actual examples of the sights right in front of them and using them on a weapon to be able to note the details that are relevent.

The main point here is that the reticle should be scaled based on its apparent size in relation to a target of known (measured) size at 100 yards in game. This eliminates all issues with attempting to try and find the proper size by second-hand accounts or photgraphs and takes care of issues having to do with varying zoom levels. i.e. A 4 Moa dot should cover a 4 inch object at 100 yards, etc.

I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow to illustrate what I'm talking about with regard to shooting while moving and why using a cursor in "aim" mode instead of a texture would be superior.

EDIT: Okay, got a video I think will work. Pictures deleted because the video is much easier to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ODLa1pCII
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2010, 09:24:11 by Aries144 »