Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New to OFPEC, Thrilled to be Here!  (Read 965 times)

Offline mboshell

• Members
New to OFPEC, Thrilled to be Here!
« on: 06 Jan 2010, 16:56:51 »
Hello,

I know I'm very late to the party, but I just recently discovered the OFP mission editor on the PC and am thrilled to join a community dedicated to it.  I'll be using this board quite a bit in the comming months, and, I thought it would be in line to introduce myself to the people that still edit in OFP CWC & Res. 

I used to play console military games, till I got sick of all of them going arcade style, and so many kids!  Nothing against them, I can just only deal with small doses of them...lol.  Anyway, I really enjoy mission editing and would like to take it as far as I can.  I've created about 15 missions, but with no external scripts, or sound files and such.  I have a great understanding of the editor, but I'm about at the point where I should get some help from those who have much greater knowledge than I.   

Again, this is just an introduction.  I'm very pleased to be a part of this community.  I don't care how old OFP is, it blows away any experience I've ever had in military gaming, mostly thanks to that mission editor.  I'll have questions comming up later that I couldn't find answers to here and at the tutorials, however, I will be very patient, as well as appreciative of all help that I recieve and will be sure to give it back to any others that need it when I can.

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: New to OFPEC, Thrilled to be Here!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2010, 19:43:55 »
First of all,  :welcome: to OFPEC!
And, no, you are not too late for OFP editing party. Even after 9 years OFP community is still alive and well.

Second of all, since this is not scripting problem, this might not be the appropriate board, but do not worry - we all make mistakes.

About scripting, I have few suggestions on where to begin.
First of all, you might want to get Chris' OFP Script Editor. It is very useful at making scripts/briefings/overviews/etc.
Second, to actually start learning to script, try Scripting Tutorial by Johan Gustafsson. It is excellent to novices to scripting. That's one I used to learn the basics. Take your time when learning to script - Neither Rome was built in one day nor you'll become scripting guru in one day.

And also, feel free to post your OFP missions in OFP Mission Beta Testing & Submissions forum! No matter how basic (or advanced) your missions are, you'll receive beta testing responses. But, before submitting your missions for beta testing, be sure to read "How to submit your missions" thread.

Once again, welcome to OFPEC!
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline mboshell

• Members
Re: New to OFPEC, Thrilled to be Here!
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2010, 03:05:13 »
Thanks Krieg!  I did look for a more appropriate thread for introductions, but it looks like it's all business at this forum, which is definitely good! I probably shouldn't have spoiled that with an introduction though, I just got over excited when I learned some new things with description.ext in the tutorials.  I have been reading them for about a week, and although I've been itching to use the forums for questions, I know I really should try to figure out as much as I can on my own first, so things can be easier explained to me.  I'm almost to that point.  Thanks for the warm welcome, and the direction!  I will definitely be taking advantage of the beta submitting, but I know I have very much to learn  :)

Edit: Now that I've looked again, I guess the announcements would be a more appropriate board for an introduction.  Darn excitement gets the best of me...lol. 
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2010, 14:20:30 by mboshell »