Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need help understanding this "victory condition"  (Read 1658 times)

Offline desertjedi

• Members
Need help understanding this "victory condition"
« on: 13 Dec 2009, 19:32:41 »
There's a "victory condition" ("3" ObjStatus "Done"; VictoryCondition3 = 1;) listed on the On Activation line in several waypoints in a mission I'm tinkering with. The Condition line is "true" and the Waypoint type is either "combat" or "SAD". BTW, I don't know what SAD means.

This victory condition (#3) is then used in a trigger and is coupled with a condition of "seized by Independent" with a large circle around a town. I'm guessing that "seized by Independent" means all Opfor have been eliminated within the corresponding circle??? Or does it?

But what I really don't understand is the victory condition (#3) that is located and set true by waypoints...and why exactly is this condition coupled with the condition of a town being "seized by Independent".

If "seized by Independent" really means no Opfor in the related circular area, I need to get rid of it as it will never happen as I play alone or with one buddy.

I'm fairly sure I can delete the "seized by Independent" victory condition #4 (and modify the trigger that checks for it) but I'd like to understand its relationship to victory condition #3.
I'm easing all the objectives and lessening the required time in this mission for solo or 2-man play. It's working well but any info related to the above would be GREATLY appreciated!
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2009, 19:37:55 by desertjedi »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Need help understanding this "victory condition"
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2009, 09:25:13 »
At a guess, 'SAD' = Search and Destroy.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:50:21 »
First, understand that waypoint activation fields are not executed until a group reaches the waypoint radius and conditions met, so even with the waypoint set to true and the waypoint activated(group completing the waypoint preceding it), unless the group has entered the radius, the waypoint will never complete, thus any code from the condition field down will not execute.

So, if something prevents that group from reaching the waypoint, the code never executes and the victory condition is never met.

Regarding the waypoint "Type", there is no such type as "Combat", that is a behaviour state. SAD would certainly imply Search and Destroy as that is the only "Type" close to the acronym. Search and Destroy adds 3 or more invisible waypoints to each waypoint with this type so that once the group enters the radius, rather then complete as a normal Move waypoint would, the group moves through a series of random waypoints assigned to it upon entering the initial waypoint radius and when all invisble waypoints have been reached, the initial waypoint condition is met, thus completing the waypoint and executing the code below the condition field.

So, once the groups attached to those waypoints reach the particular waypoint with the victory condition and have satisfied the conditional requirements, the victory condition would be met. Which in your case, objective 3 status would become complete and a global variable "VictoryCondition3" would be declared true(1), which is probably then checked by a later script for status to determine compliance of another condition.

Regarding Seized by side activation, The determining factor for condition compliance is side to side unit ratio. If the same number of side a is equal to side b, the condition will not necessarily be met,(not necessarily because other computations may factor into the condition such as weapon type, unit type, rank, skill level, etc.).

It is safe to say that if the number of Independent units, significantly outnumber the opposing force, the condition in this case would be satisfied. But bare in mind that the calculations may depend highly on skill level and rank, so that if three highly trained, highly ranked combatants engage 12 lowly skilled, lowly ranked combatants, the ratio for compliance would change.

In other words, objective 3 can be completed by those groups completing the mentioned waypoints OR by the Independent force dominating the mentioned trigger area.

Offline desertjedi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2010, 23:34:36 »
Thanks for the great info. At some point, I hope to revisit that mission. It's an excellent one. It's a night Porto mission called Pilot Burner (forgot the author) where you start in an RHIB and have to take out AA or MG guns scattered on Porto. When I get back to it, I will use the info you stated above and see if it all makes sense now.