Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rifle Scope zoom values?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline LazyLobo

• Members
Rifle Scope zoom values?
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 17:39:43 »
Greetings all!
Kinda new to ArmA and been trying do a couple Editing projects.

As usual what started out as what I though was going to be a simple project has grown.My Idea was to make a Scope addon that let me use the reticles that are used in the Shepheard Rifle scopes.

I saw one in use in Iraq,I've seen referances of them being used by others and I just recently traded for one. :)

I'm doing a couple of small personal addons(targets,My own Soilder,etc...as both practice and a learning experiance.Bookmarking and/or downloading tutorials and referance material.

I'm using NWD's Scopefix v2.2 as a baseline as it seems he has done a very thurow job of reworking the scopes in vanila ArmA and it is also used by ACE and other addon makers.

I have tried to "boil Down" his opticsZoomMin/opticsZoomMax numbers to get a working referance chart with no luck.(Not surpizing as I am not very good at math)

I'm wearing out my search button and the only referances I keep coming across were  posted by a Gent named 'SelectThis'.They don't match up anywhere close to NWD's numbers as far as I can tell.

The scope I wish to replicate is the Shepherd Model 310-P2,3x-10x with 18" circles and posably later the M556,6x-18x with 9" circles and .MOA windage and elevation grids.

Does anyone know where I can find a current referance for the Zoom values used in game?
~Lobo~
USMC 1980-88
TANG 1990-91
AANG 1991-93
TANG 2001-?

We Few,We Happy Few...

Offline Fincuan

• Members
Re: Rifle Scope zoom values?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2009, 13:46:45 »

Offline LazyLobo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2009, 01:56:18 »
Outstanding!!!

Now all I have to do is brush up on my math.  :confused:

Thanks for the reply!

~Lobo~
USMC 1980-88
TANG 1990-91
AANG 1991-93
TANG 2001-?

We Few,We Happy Few...

Offline Fincuan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2009, 12:36:10 »
One more thing to add: The basic formula for getting the correct "Arma fov"(opticsZoomMin/Max) in relation to other optics is
Code: [Select]
arma FOV number = unity/magnification
The formula in NWD's post allows you to fill the screen if you know what the real FOV is, but doesn't really help that much if you already have made scopes and want yours to "fit in" realistically. As NWD stated BIS scopes use 0.25 as unity so their magnifications differ(a BIS 4x is different than NWD's 4x), and he used a number slighly smaller than 3, varying from scope to scope. It's about 0.288 in most cases.
So if you wanted an NWD-compatible scope with a 3.5x magnification you'd get:
Code: [Select]
0.288/3.5 = 0.08229
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2009, 12:40:25 by Fincuan »