Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 1298 times)

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
Need some help
« on: 11 Nov 2009, 15:04:29 »
Hi, I am making a  single player mission for arma 2 everybody who remembers me in ofp before my old ofpec user name got deleted should remember how my missions are known for being intense and out of the ordinary.  And that is exactly how I want to make this one. the problem is I am not used to arma 2. But this mission is very promising, I need somebody to help me make a cutscene  and some scripts.  Ive already laid the whole intro out i just need somebody to do the camera work for me because i cant figure out how to camera script. So If anybody who is good at scripting and is feeling in a generous mood, and wouldnt mind having the first inside look on what should be a slam dunk mission. how about helping me make the camera script, thanks :)

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2009, 15:40:49 »
Well, in all honesty, camera scripting is pretty simple.  For years I put it off, and then last week I sat down and in 30 minutes had the basics of camera-related commands worked out.  I'm not saying no-one will volunteer to help, but it's definitely an exercise that can be accomplished by one individual in a few hours (even from very limited knowledge).

Here's a simple example script controlling a camera, commented heavily for your benefit (there may be slightly better ways to do it, as I'm also new to the whole camera thing, but this works for me).  There are a number of camera tutorials out there (if I recall correctly), and the list of camera-related commands can be found here on the Biki.

Code: [Select]
// Creating a camera
_c = "camera" camCreate [0,0,0];

// Just a basic bit of set-up for a 'normal' view.
_c cameraEffect ["internal", "back"];

// TRANSFORMATIONS (these aren't done until camCommit is used, below)
// Setting up to move the camera to the position of a marker I've placed
_c camSetPos [getMarkerPos "cam_source1" select 0, getMarkerPos "cam_source2" select 1, 30];
// Setting up the camera to point at the player
_c camSetTarget player;
// Setting a default FOV
_c camSetFov 0.7;

// COMMIT
// This function performs the above transformations, over the given time (in seconds).
// In this case, the transformation will happen immediately (0 seconds), but on
// subsequent cameras, if you specified, say, 20 seconds, the movement of position,
// FOV change, etc. would occur smoothly over 20 seconds.
_c camCommit 0;

And there you have it, a simple camera set up.  Use different camera positions (such as changing the target, or the set position of the camera) and different commit times to make an interesting cutscene (it just requires some playing about to get something a bit more 'cinematic' :))  Each time you commit, the changes you've made are smoothly applied as a linear transition.

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2009, 16:14:16 »
ahh, you explain it very well, thank you,  though the problem is the quality of the mission is high and my mediocre camera scripting skills will severely detract from the cutscene. I will try to make one to temporarily work, but i hope somebody with some skill can help me to make a good one, and also some scripts i need made.  hey thanks alot!

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2009, 16:15:22 »
Well, if you have questions about working with cameras, feel free to ask them.  I'm very much someone who likes to see people learn how to solve their problems themselves, though... and will always try to facilitate that :)

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2009, 16:24:51 »
Well il tell you what i want to do and you can give me some help. I want to make a camera script that follows a unit as he walks, at times from the front letting him walk into the camera then switching to 1st person view,  playing some sounds, then when he gets to a certain place the camera switches to targeting right above an object he is facing. the object is on the ground and he is standing i want the object not in view of the camera but he is, then he leaves and as soon as he is out of the view of the camera it pans down so the object is in view then music starts.