Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: USMC v USMC  (Read 2649 times)

Offline xAlpha

• Members
USMC v USMC
« on: 28 Oct 2009, 13:26:27 »
Hi!

I'm trying to make a mission with American rebels fighting other Americans. I'm using the Force Recon models for the rebels, and standard USMC for the other guys.

Obviously, though, they show up as being on the same team. I tried using setSide but it didn't do me any good. Someone suggested I may need to put it in a script. Any help would be appreciated.

On a related note, I've seen maps where one can select their loadout prior to spawning, and I'd like to do something imilar, but I haven't seen any scripts for that around.

Offline Trexian

• Members
Re: USMC v USMC
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2009, 15:23:05 »
I've recently tried to have USMC on blue and opfor, and it didn't work, at least not scripted.

What you *can* do is place the force recon units, then group them with an opfor commander (usually I use a colonel) in the editor.  Then, make the opfor commander's probability of presence 0.  Basically, they are grouped with a commander who won't exist in the map.  You can then script, or in the init, set the leader of the group to the FR guy you want (or let the AI sort it out).

I guess you could script the groups to have an opfor colonel as commander, then delete the colonel unit... but I've not tried that one.

No clue on the changing weps pre-mission.
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline xAlpha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2009, 15:28:11 »
Ooh that's a good idea. I'll try that when I get home.

EDIT: Really quick, since I'm used to OFP and ArmA 1, is there a special way to make the colonel the supreme commander, and still have team leaders?
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2009, 15:41:27 by xAlpha »

Offline i0n0s

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2009, 15:48:29 »
As a scripted solution:
Create a east group and then add the units to this group.
Should have the same effect.
But the method with a non existing leader is easier.

@xAlpha:
He doesn't exist. He is only there so that the units will be moved into the east group. When the round starts one of the units will be the leader.

Offline xAlpha

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2009, 17:16:20 »
Yeah, what I meant was, I have 6 teams: 4 of 2 dudes, 2 of 4. Each group there has their own leader.

I know in the game you can have a supreme commander that can command multiple groups (alt+spacebar), but I didn't know how to set that up in the game.

I guess I can just make 6 leaders who never show up.

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2009, 17:39:05 »
As a scripted solution:
Create a east group and then add the units to this group.
Should have the same effect.
But the method with a non existing leader is easier.

Perhaps, going too far astray here, but I tried something like this (I have since changed the paradigm of the mission, and didn't keep the code that didn't work, but this is as I recall it):
Code: [Select]
_grpEast = createGroup EAST;
... loop to create 10 units...
_spawn = _grpEast createUnit ["USMC_Soldier", _posSpawn, [], 5, "NONE"];

And the units all came out blue.

<shrug>
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline i0n0s

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2009, 17:42:48 »
And why did he shot me when I tried it?
;)

Offline xAlpha

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2009, 22:38:28 »
Sweet it worked!

Now if I could figure out a way to give them some options in weapon loadout, it would be perfect.

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2009, 00:11:05 »
And why did he shot me when I tried it?
;)
Depends on what you did to piss them off. :D

With me, I was civ, trying to spawn 2 groups, 1 blue USMC, the other red USMC.  They both came out blue.

But, as ever, it may've been something completely different I was doing wrong....
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline i0n0s

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2009, 01:27:39 »
* i0n0s was a USMC,
I created a east group, then spawned the USMC soldier with that group at my position.
He looked at me, decided me for being evil and shot me. (Luckely virtual, so my evil plans can continue)

But civilian is friend of east, therefor they will be blue. And if you preplaced any other units and forgot to make them enemys, then  :whistle: