Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] Operation Hellfire (Review Complete)  (Read 12390 times)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: [SP] Operation Hellfire (Please Review)
« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2010, 13:55:38 »
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but just in case nobody noticed, I put this mission up for a review. ;)
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [SP] Operation Hellfire (Please Review)
« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2010, 14:45:53 »
I'm on it sir.

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: [SP] Operation Hellfire (Under Review)
« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2010, 14:51:12 »
Thanks! :good:

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2010, 16:43:02 »
Yes, I too played and completed the mission today. Regarding your voice acting, it wasn't bad at all. The acting was fine. The silly part was that the characters spoke with such a heavy accent. Sounded Russian; is that correct? Well, still, I enjoyed the mission more with the custom voices. You should do that for Red Grinder II. :good: You may consider simply speaking in your native language (especially if it's in fact Russian) and giving us English subtitles.

Anyway, this was another hour well spent. There was an interesting contrast between the massive battle at the beginning and the nerve-wracking game of crawl, spot, and shoot that I was playing by the end.

@SBG
The increased fog was okay. I thought for sure I was going to hate it because the enemy can see right through it.

Can AIs see players through fog? I did not know this. Somehow I thought they could only see as far as the player's viewdistance. (Or are viewdistance and fog different values?)
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #49 on: 24 Feb 2010, 18:04:58 »
Regarding your voice acting, it wasn't bad at all. The acting was fine.

I guess I am just over-criticizing myself. I am glad that people have opposite of opinion of mine on this!  :D

the characters spoke with such a heavy accent.

That is part my skill and part that I edited voices digitally to give player feeling that there was a bit more variety of voices.

Sounded Russian; is that correct?

Only accent I intended to be Russian was the player's (player is a former Soviet citizen, a part of the story you can find in the notes). I tried deep southern accent on Pitbull and Overwatch, Northern American on Foxtrot, Puma and on the rest more minor characters.
In intro I tried (and partially succeeded  in my opinion) to give Colonel a not-so-deep Southern accent.

I enjoyed the mission more with the custom voices.

Glad you did!

You should do that for Red Grinder II

I most definitely will!

You may consider simply speaking in your native language (especially if it's in fact Russian) and giving us English subtitles.

It ain't really Russian (although I do not have too large problem speaking Russian), it is Serbian. I might do voice-over in Serbian, I believe most of English-speaking players will not notice too much of a difference (in accent, at least).

There was an interesting contrast between the massive battle at the beginning and the nerve-wracking game of crawl, spot, and shoot that I was playing by the end.

The fundamental qualities of both are best represented side-by-side in a contrast, aren't they? :)

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2010, 18:06:32 by Krieg »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2010, 19:06:57 »
Only accent I intended to be Russian was the player's (player is a former Soviet citizen, a part of the story you can find in the notes).

Oh, I get it now. I didn't notice because I just assumed that the notes page would be the same as last version I played. :-[ Now the main character doesn't sound quite so silly. :D
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #51 on: 24 Feb 2010, 21:02:38 »
Viewdistance and fog are seperate I think. AI can see better in fog than human players. They can also see through bushes and sometimes houses. :D Of course, these are assumptions based on experience not actual knowledge.

Offline mboshell

• Members
Re: [SP] Operation Hellfire (Review Complete)
« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2010, 13:40:45 »
I notice this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days, but I'm assuming it's still acceptable to post.

Played in: Resistance 1.96

Briefing: I really have nothing to add about this.  It was as perfect as I could have expected.

Intro: Fantastic!  The camera angles are awesome. 

Voice: Really good.  The only nitpicky complaint is the fact that the accent is not American, but all I can do is offer my services to you this summer Krieg.  I'll have plenty of free time after May 15th.  After you try my Ranger In Afghanistan campaign, you'll get a sample of my voicework.  I think I'm pretty good at it  :)

Mission: I could not complete this tonight, but I promise to complete it in the future and add to this post.  I did get pretty far though, I think...lol.  Everything was fantastic.  From the landings, to the awesomely constructed base, to the linking up with the spec ops unit in the forest and the sweep through (that's as far as I got).  My only nitpicky complaint is the difficulty, but as I've been saying, that's because I'm a noob to PC and am very slow at commanding.  It took me about 4 tries to capture the base at the beach.  I ended up having to run directly to the west after landing and establish some breathing room between my squad and the enemy before I could muster any kind of successful assault.  After getting some distance, I slowly crept my way toward the village, using the buildings for cover and picking off enemies one by one.  I did have an issue with the fact that I had to spend quite a bit of time searching for AT ammo to take out the final tank, but that's a personal issue that is likely enjoyable to many people.  It did feel very satisfying to raise that American flag and finally capture Morton.  After that, it was a nice experience to link up with the spec ops squad in the forest and begin sweeping through on our way to that enemy camp.  Again, though, the problem I had was that I couldn't engage the enemies at the camp from the forest.  I seemed to be forced to throw myself into the camp and engage in close combat, which was exciting, but I do prefer to be able to work more tactically and have room to at least soften up the enemy, putting the odds in my favor before hurling myself at them in a suicide type tactic.  Perhaps there is a way to do this, but after two tries tonight, I still couldn't figure it out, but I look forward to trying again to accomplish this.

Closing Comments: Most everything was pretty much stated above.  I'm very sorry that I couldn't complete your mission tonight.  I tried a couple of months ago with the same results.  I'm hoping I won't be known as the editor/tester who stinks at playing the game for too much longer...lol.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of your mission, and while I do make my missions of a different style for my personal preferences, I am really impressed by the features of which I am using to learn to implement into my future missions.

Although my lack of time on this game and with this community means that I don't have much to compare it to, for what it's worth, I must thank you for this gem of a mission and promise to complete it and give you my take on the rest in the future  :good:

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2010, 15:54:16 »
Thanks for testing, mboshell!  :good:

Briefing

Glad you like it!

Intro

I'm glad that intro lived up to your expectations.

Voice

Glad you liked it!

I will be glad to hear your voice acting in "Ranger in Afghanistan" campaign. I of course could use a bit of help with voice acting in my own projects, so I thank you for such a generous offer.

Mission

You did get to second third of the mission. My suggestion is to fight from distance using a sniper when attacking the camp, though trees could represent a bit of a challenge.

Once again, thanks for the test!

Offline mboshell

• Members
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2010, 16:28:15 »
OK, I tried again and almost reached figari, so I have some things to add.  First, is there a reason why I start with an AT tube but no ammo for it?  Would have helped a ton with those tanks.  Apparantly, the black ops don't have any ammo either because they kept refusing to engage the tank when ordered.  Anyway, I finally secured that camp.  I ended up completely leaving the forest and linking up with the armor.  When I got into position where we could see the camp and armor, I radiod Pit bull go, and the tanks caught up to us and passed us by assaulting the camp.  They didn't seem to fire their machine guns at the infantry though.  Just the cannons.  As the tanks rolled past us, we crawled our way behind them carefully, picking off infantry.  The enemy armor got destroyed by our armor, and things were getting very exciting.  I noticed on the map that there was still an enemy tank just east of the camp, near the trees.  Once the camp was secure, the tanks just rolled into figari and ignored the enemy tank, so my squad and I did the same.  I don't think you meant for the player to be able to do that, but this is where my squad got jacked up.  I'm not sure why, but the black ops refused to do anything but crawl, all the way to figari.  This was a bit annoying because the tanks had already reached figari, yet they had barely left the camp.  My original 6 men all moved normal, but the black ops refused to stand up for the life of them, so I kept losing them behind, and then was forced to wait for them to catch up.  We eventually ran into some contact in the road on the way to figari, so I tried to move around the left side to get some distance to engage tactically, but I had a problem of a storm coming in and visibility was very poor. My squad was spread thin because of the crawling black ops lagging behind, and the men that were with me got gunned down.  We killed the squad on the road though.  Waited about 3 full minutes before moving anymore, so the black ops could catch up, then I continued moving towar figari.  I got separated from them again by moving too fast, and another squad annihilated me at close range before I could see them.  I never made it to figari.  The fog is a pain.  Increasing my visibility did nothing.  It seemed like I couldn't see an enemy until I was right on top of them, which kind of eliminated tactical gameplay.  I was ready to give it another go, until it started me back in Morton and not at the last objective like I had hoped.  I've spent a few hours on this mission, so I must get to bed now.

Overall, I'm still enjoying the heck out of this mission.  I definitely plan to finish it tomorrow, but do you have any ideas why the black ops won't stand up? Was it something I did when commanding?  Also, I'm a big fan of savepoints because I stink at the game.  Having one after the second objective is completed would have been very helpful.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 16:32:49 by mboshell »