Missions Depot > OFP - Reviewed Missions

(Review Completed) [SP] The Daily Grind

(1/5) > >>

Azraell:
ok, i would have had this up sooner, but my harddrive crashed, and i lost the whole mission, so i had to take 3 weeks to rebuild from scratch by memory. the file is 4 megs , i havent rebuilt the outro yet,i didnt want to take another 2 months rebuilding it, so to save time, you guys can test while i redo outro and readme.....made with 1.85 res, no addons, takes place on Nogova, ambush that turns into defend, the intro will explain all. My 1st mission, heres the link.... its D_G.zip....

http://philturner.freeyellow.com/stuff/D-G.zip

Edit: Version 1.2 of this mission is available from the Missions Depot.

Required addons: hmmwvsas_spoof (attached to this post)

Because of a badly configured addon (read more about it here), this mission demands "hmmwvsas" in order to run. I've created a small pbo that tells OFP this addon is present, but without adding any units, vehicles or weapons. Install it as a normal addon and delete it once you have finished playing The Daily Grind.

Sui:
Nice Mission Azraell!

I like the Indiana Jones music in the intro... it set the mood rather nicely ;) There weren't really any bugs that I found, apart from the end objective (see below for details).
So this is more of a 'Polite suggestion list' than a bug report. ;)

Briefing[*] Link to markers didn't link[/list]
Mission[*]Player starts the mission standing. Possibly have a short cutscene or fade in (just a view of the ridge or something) while using: player playmove "combattolying" ? It would make the transition from the intro to the mission seem more seamless
[*]The player is set to hold fire. That stupid little red square will stay there for the remainder of the mission. To get rid of this, try using: "_x setcombatmode ""blue""" foreach ((units group) - [player]) to set the squad to hold fire. That way the player's combatmode won't be set to blue at the start of the mission (as you cant' change it back when the player is under player control)
[*]Instead of using hints to tell you when the enemy is getting close, may I suggest using a radio call. (ie. from your sniper: "The enemy is within 150m and closing, Sir") . Also when the objective changes you could have some dialog instead of the hint message. Just another silly suggestion. ;)
[*]The music during the fighting is nice, but can I suggest you turn it down a bit? (0 fademusic 0.5) It found it got in the way of radio calls sometimes.
[*]Possibly add an autosave point (maybe after the reinforcements or after the objective changes?)
[*]This one was the only real problem as far as I could see. I repelled the initial assault, and got the new objective. However while I was mucking around assigning fire teams (I had a cunning plan you see), the enemy started charging towards me! So, naturally I was still in my concealed ambush position, so I sat there and mowed them all down. Mission complete, without me having to advance down the valley at all.[/list]

Apart from the small problem with the last objective, this mission was very well done. Thanks for sharing ;D

Captain Winters:
awhilst another mission for me to test tommorow!!!

Azraell:
hey, thnxs for testing it out.... i looked over ur suggestions, and ill have to reseach the forums and all that for things like the auto-save, but as far as the game generated dialog,  that looks a little difficult, messing with the stringtable thingy, didnt really understand it. :-X Was thinking of doing away with marker links all togethers since mission area is so small.(they worked in original, but since i was rushing to rebuild ...) didnt relize reinforcment music was so loud, so that can be done.And the spetz..... well, in original ,i had a mi-17 paradrop them in while fighting was going on, but when i was rebuilding mission, i thought, mi-17 is armed to the teeth, why would they paradrop troops in when they could just ripple the sh*t outta ya with all those 57mm rockets and win, and there are no weaponless east helos, so i scratched that and tried bmps...they couldnt make it up the hill, so i just had spetz down at the bottom coming up slowly at 1st, then charging with a reinforcment trigger. the plan was to get you into pass where youd be on even ground with the spetz when they come rushing up and not at an advantage above them.... think ill restructure that some...wish there was a weaponless east air transport, what do u suggest? should the spetz come sooner and get rid of advance into pass objective?  or just delay them some more? and with the beginning, yea, i remembered i wanted to do something with him standing  right after i finished uploading, and i knew some1 would notice it :-\..little stuff like that will be ironed out when i  complete the outro 8) anyhow thanks for the tips, i try to do what i can with the knowledge i have but im not real good with the coding. hell, my scripts are the most noobish things in the world, but they work for me :P not the type of editor im use to... :-[ (need some unreal maps made?) ;D

Azraell:
btw......i had trouble with the blackhawk taking off when the 1st man jumps out. BH would say" board chopper" to all the men when they start exiting and blast off into the air ,throwing men all over the place. did the blackhawk come in and hover like it was suppose to till all men were off?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version