Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Infantry Modelling Questions  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Jenkins

• Members
Infantry Modelling Questions
« on: 05 Oct 2009, 22:13:02 »
Hey all, just wondering if any of you folk can give me some answers to a couple questions with regards to creating models for infantry units;

1. In ArmA2 the engine seems to randomly choose different faces and textures for units, any information on how this works?

2. I've been looking at the sample models released by BI, the head and body are seperate and I wonder if thats how I'd have to model any infantry units I'd be making or would I just merge head and body into one model?

That's it for now, though I'll probably think up some more as I work my way deeper into this subject; Thanks in advance for any help

Offline Binkowski

• OFP-fanatic
  • OFPEC Patron
    • My Personal Website
Re: Infantry Modelling Questions
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2009, 04:51:35 »
I also replied on the BIS forums to this, thought I'd reply here.

The head is a proxy. You can use the head model, but it's kind of counter-productive. And yes, the units are randomly chosen unless the identity is defined the missions description.ext file.

Just put the proxy in, and hide the parts that would be exposed because it's not a complete "model" per-se.

Hope this helps!

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:45:05 »

Your info probably helps an experienced modder , but  could you please add some pictures and a little more detail , especially around the Hide some parts and why the model is not complete areas.

ty for the info so far

DB
I love ofp

Offline norrin

• Tutorial Writer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2009, 00:40:33 »
A couple of things I've found is.

1. Identity Types
Where you configure the CfgVehicles class in the config.cpp for each unit, you can make an entry related to identityTypes - this is where you can tell the config the language spoken by the unit, what types of faces to use and even the types of sunglasses the units wear.  It looks like this:  
Code: [Select]
identityTypes[] = {"Language_EN","Head_USMC","LHD_glasses"};You can also set it up so that the units use a specific type of sunglasses or face only and the config for SchnapsdroSel's Desert Merc units are a good example of how to do that.

2. Heads
I've also discovered you can include the head models from ArmA1 units (ie. in the .p3D file for the unit) in your ArmA2 addon as long as you don't add the new invisible head proxy used in the ArmA2 example unit.  The only thing you need to be aware of to make this work is to make sure that any head gear that the unit is wearing (helmet, hat etc) needs to be part of the head selection in the model lods otherwise it won't show up in game.  

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2009, 00:43:15 by norrin »