Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: P:\ tools drive not created in Vista.  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
  • Hardcore OFP/ArmA I & II Vietnam fanatic!!!
    • OFPNAM
P:\ tools drive not created in Vista.
« on: 16 Oct 2009, 13:40:24 »
Hello,

As the title of the topic states, on my system the Tools drive (P:\) is not being created. I have installed and reinstalled a lot through the days. Rebooted etc but no luck. All the tools get installed properly it seems. Even when it says it's installing the P drive, i get no errors. Yet when i look in my sytem there is no virtual P drive anywhere, even after reboots. And also Buldozer in O2 does not work and gives the error "Extrernal viewer: Unable to create viewer". Now before you moan, i did use search option on these forums and BIS. Found some close matches but no answer to my problem. Also looked at some install vid's on OFPEC by Gnat to make sure i did the install correctly, that didn't help either. Tried to look up the P drive from the command line, no luck. Tried to start the P drive through the mapdisk file, no luck.

For the full picture here's some additional information.

My system specs:

Windows Vista, service pack 1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
RAM 3 GB
32 bit OS
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS

I am running ArmA II on international version 1.04.59026

My O2 settings look as followed:

click here for picture

My ArmAWork directory looks like this:

click here for picture

My mapdisk.bat file looks like this:

subst p: "C:\Users\Warrior XT\Documents\ArmAWork\"

I tried manually starting the drive with the bat file but that did nothing.

Any help on trying to fix this so i actually get a P drive created and can finally start using O2 again is much appreciated. If you need any additional information just ask. For the note i tried the install of the tools for ArmA I as well previously and there the P drive was also not created. I deleted the tools (uninstalled etc) then installed the tools for ArmA II. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: P:\ tools drive not created in Vista.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2009, 14:52:30 »
I suspect your OS is preventing a happy outcome.

Probably needs you to be Administrator or somesuch.
Is your BI Tools Drive listed in your Add/Remove programs list?

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2009, 20:51:13 »
It works for me under Vista (SP2, but it shouldn't matter, although you should upgrade).
I have UAC turned off, if you have it on, you should try Run As Administrator when installing, or running for the first time.

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
    • OFPNAM
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2009, 23:10:02 »
Is your BI Tools Drive listed in your Add/Remove programs list?

Planck

Hi,

Yes i got it listed with a dancing banana icon and the text "BI's tools drive Uninstall"  if that is what you ment.

I have UAC turned off, if you have it on, you should try Run As Administrator when installing, or running for the first time.

Hi,

Tried running it as administrator already but that didn't do anything either. And what do you mean with UAC turned off? What's UAC?
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2009, 23:13:59 by Warrior_X »

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2009, 23:50:57 »
User Account Control (UAC) under Control Panel -> User Accounts

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
    • OFPNAM
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2009, 11:06:42 »
User Account Control (UAC) under Control Panel -> User Accounts

Oh ok. In that case, it was already turned off.  :D

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2009, 11:19:00 »
Have you tried changing the P: to something else such as Z: ?

It shouldn't make a difference as long as you correct any paths refering to P:

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
    • OFPNAM
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2009, 12:45:12 »
Have you tried changing the P: to something else such as Z: ?

It shouldn't make a difference as long as you correct any paths refering to P:

Yeah that's not going to work as there is no P drive in the first place :P
So changing is not possible. As how do i change that that does not exist.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2009, 13:48:12 »
Hmmmm, try removing spaces from the path 'Warrior XT' has a space in it.

Planck

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2009, 16:17:41 »
He can't really rename it, as that's his Windows user folder and it may well have a space in it to begin with.  Additionally, when a path is quoted in double-quotes, spaces should be processed without problem (if not, it's a problem at BIS' end, as that's the system-standard way of doing it).

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2009, 18:32:30 »
It uses the Windows subst command. Start cmd, run subst. It should list the drive association. I had problems at first when I installed under my other computer with Vista Home Premium with UAC on. I ran uninstall from the ArmAWork folder, turned UAC off, restarted and reinstalled BI Tools Drive.

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
    • OFPNAM
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2009, 19:38:44 »
Hmmmm, try removing spaces from the path 'Warrior XT' has a space in it.

Planck

Tried this couple of times before already with stuff non gaming related. As JamesF1 states, i cannot change the user profile name.

Start cmd, run subst. It should list the drive association.

As posted in my first post, i did this already.

Tried to look up the P drive from the command line, no luck.

No luck.

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2009, 01:14:51 »
You say you can't change the P: to something else?

What I meant was in the .bat file

Change it to
Code: [Select]
subst z: "C:\Users\Warrior XT\Documents\ArmAWork\"
See if it allows another letter. Reason I say this is because my P: was reserved in some way or form for something, and changing it then allowed it to work.

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2009, 06:05:00 »
I was just letting you know that when you run subst, it's supposed to list existing mappings. I don't know if that helps, you are probably seeing nothing returned.

subst is a windows program so it's not likely to be a compatibility problem, but possibly an access problem. You should try moving ArmAWork from your Documents to C:\ and edit and run mapdisk.bat. Also try making a test BAT file with some simple commands to check its functioning.

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
    • OFPNAM
« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2009, 20:50:50 »
What I meant was in the .bat file

Change it to
Code: [Select]
subst z: "C:\Users\Warrior XT\Documents\ArmAWork\"

My bad. I just tried this and again nothing happens. Tried with different drive letters just to make sure.

I was just letting you know that when you run subst, it's supposed to list existing mappings. I don't know if that helps, you are probably seeing nothing returned.

subst is a windows program so it's not likely to be a compatibility problem, but possibly an access problem. You should try moving ArmAWork from your Documents to C:\ and edit and run mapdisk.bat. Also try making a test BAT file with some simple commands to check its functioning.

Ok i tried putting the entire folder in the root of C drive, edited the mapdisk file to have the right path but yet again it did nothing. As for the test .bat file, i have no clue what commands i could use to make a test file for it. I tried something to just have a .exe file get started but nothing happened there and no idea if i entered the right command in there.

I really appreciate the help guys. Though it seems i ain't modelling any time soon again for some odd reason. It is probably some stupid small thing i am not seeing, and that's why it's not working. In the end i'll probably say <-- i'm with stupid :P

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2009, 21:24:06 »
Grasping at straws, but, have you tried removing the last '\' from the path?

Planck

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2009, 21:34:12 »
To eliminate the possibility that the bat file is not working did you go the command prompt? Just type:
cmd
Try
subst /?
It will just list all the commands, but at least you will know its found by the system.
Then try:
subst P: C:\ArmAWork\
Quotations are needed if there is no space in the file name.
If that still doesn't work, then find cmd on your start menu or in explorer, and right click -> Run As Administrator, and try again.

If that still doesn't work, there's got to be another way to mount a virtual drive. Look around for some other tool or try Mapping A Network Drive. You'll have to share the folder over the network, then just browse for you own computer when browsing for the network location to map.

Offline Warrior_X

• Members
    • OFPNAM
« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2009, 22:20:05 »
To eliminate the possibility that the bat file is not working did you go the command prompt? Just type:
cmd
Try
subst /?
It will just list all the commands, but at least you will know its found by the system.
Then try:
subst P: C:\ArmAWork\
Quotations are needed if there is no space in the file name.

DISCO! This worked!  :clap: Buldozer could be fired up now from O2 without a problem. P drive was now found and installed through cmd. Big thanks for putting uyp with my ignorance! And very big thanks for your help guys. tcp you the man  :good: Now i need to know what i should look out for, as i have now moved the entire folder to a different location. Will this somehow be a problem with anything...? What should i pay attention to now. Some folder paths that need changing somewhere or...

Offline Deadfast

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2009, 22:30:54 »
This is the same exact thing BIS' BAT does.

I suspect the problem might have been lack of permissions for the My Documents dir where you had the workplace before.

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2009, 22:50:47 »
Batch files are considered dangerous, so security settings may have them disabled. No big deal. If you want to have it start with windows, just create a shortcut to the subst command and put it in the Startup folder of your start menu.

Also just change the mapping back to the P: drive if you want the BI tools to be able to find it or go to the options of each program and change it to whatever drive you have it set to now.