Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: FLIR Goggles Script  (Read 3327 times)

Offline GeneralCarver

• Members
FLIR Goggles Script
« on: 29 Sep 2009, 20:37:26 »
GeneralCarver FLIR Goggles Script

Video Sample of Script
Note - some of the video lag was due to the video encoding software I was recording with, not the script. The script runs lag free.
http://www.youtube.com/v/LxdHGFyZ0Hg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1

Download Link:
http://www.4shared.com/file/136199737/2583a831/gc_fgs.html

Description:
This is a client side script which somewhat simulates FLIR in a man portable version. The script requires the player to have standard ArmA 2 night vision goggles in his inventory to act as the unit.

Created under ArmA 2 v1.04
Required ArmA 2 version: Any

Demo Mission
The demo mission is not a complete mission. It simply contains the triggers and scripting necessary to run this script. To experiment or test this script, simply open it in your mission editor and play a unit that has Night Vision goggles in his inventory.

Problems/Bugs..
No known bugs so far. However one "problem" might be that it does not simulate FLIR in that heat of units or vehicles is not represented.

Recommended Uses:
In special ops missions to supplement players' night vision goggles with a fun, useful alternative to throw a new experience into the game (i.e. "fresh content").

Future Plans/Suggestions
Currently I have no more plans to modify this script unless errors are discovered. However, modifying the script to represent heat on vehicles and players might be useful. I have viewed some people who have used lights created above units or vehicles to "paint them hot" in some scripts, but have not seen any of these released for use.  If someone is good at creating light elements in game, please consider taking my work and building off of it.

Testing
I have tested this script myself and am now confident it is 100% ready to go. However, if you want to test the mission, simply play it in the single player editor. Adjust the time of day, your location, etc. and see if the script is handicapped or limited in a bad way.

Included Readme Contents...

GeneralCarver's FLIR Goggle Script

Description:
This is a small script which simulates having FLIR goggles. This script does not accurately simulate FLIR, in that it is simply modifying the post processing effects. No heat information is represented for units. It does however enhance vision, especially at night, and can make spotting enemy units easier. Many people have noticed that the ArmA 2 lighting engine will adjust brightness, making it hard to see with normal vision and night vision under certain lighting conditions. This script eliminates that auto brightness adjustment problem, which is its true advantage.

In game Use
the script is available if the player has Night Vision goggles in his inventory. An action will appear (FLIR Menu) where the player can turn on and off the FLIR, adjust the brightness and change the color mode.

Installation
1. In the editor, copy the three triggers from my template mission into your mission.
2. Copy the contents of the description.ext file to your mission.
3. Copy the contents of the init.sqf file into your mission.
4. Copy the Scripts directory into your mission's directory.

That's it. I hope this meets your needs until the next ArmA 2 expansion comes out next year with a properly working FLIR simulation!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: FLIR Goggles Script
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 21:27:54 »
Nice FLIR,
I understand it is a WIP, but you might consider:
- Add at least a player to your demo mission.
- Put all the code in your triggers inside a script to handle everything that should be run from init.sqf. This might result in a cleaner integration with missions.
- You might try to add a selfadjustment based on time of the day.

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
Re: FLIR Goggles Script
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:07:46 »
If you were to create a very bright light, would you be able to see it at all in FLIR mode?