Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP 2 - Dragon Rising  (Read 7583 times)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
Re: OFP 2 - Dragon Rising
« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:26:37 »
 agreed lets not turn it sour ,after all i do ( i suspect others in this thread do too) spend more than 6 hours everyday editing (and dare i say fixing) arma2 still so i aint gonna be a hypocrite and say i am wasting my life lol.

somewhere deep in the archives here we will find just how hard it was to manipulate CWC when it first arrived as a de,o (0.96 ?), communities today are as vigourous today as they ever were  in my opinion (sadly they are more interested in cheats) but however i do hope it will develop.
 But for me like i said in my previous post , i simply want to be able to play, single player is fine for now just like it was back then, i will eventually make it to MP one day i guess .

I dont want to ever mod this one  . selfishly or not  so far my OF DR experience as almost been tailored to meet my requirements  .

But for those that will want to modify it , it seems those  first attempts/ exploaritry steps have begun , oh the memmories :). will they fail who knows , but i remember the fun of trying . even the first retexture ( hurst to say it now lol) was like exploring a deep cave for first time) with hex editor.

first  try
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386067

second update
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386115

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 15:27:31 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline Landdon

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:11:39 »
I think it is a good console game.  But then they ported to the PC and sold it as a Bohemia OFP/ARMED ASSAULT/ARMA II killer.  So I feel somewhat cheated, but I don't mind playing by myself.  But it has so many limitations.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2009, 18:43:38 »

i am still enjoying playing it , but thats about it. in a way thats all i wanted from it , selfishly i am glad i cant mod it , although the lua scripting is intriguing i must say.
 it fills in a small gap for me, i can start it play it turn it off and it runs smooth . for everything else i have Arma2.
I love ofp

Offline Barbolani

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:10:22 »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:03:42 »
I'm sure the development team who constructed DR, stripped OFP down to its bare essentials and built it new again, using the core without Bohemia's engine. Let's face it, Operation Flashpoint is still a remarkable game title and the only thing it needed was better coding and graphics. That's what Codemasters did.

What Bohemia Interactive did was better in my opinion. They not only improved the coding and graphics but they increased the entity count. They also did what I think is the only reason for the large community support, they preserved the use of their old code and mod-ability of their product. Without that mod-ability, OFPEC would have no purpose. That I feel is the primary difference between DR and Arma2. In addition, BIS continues to build on the same structure, releasing further titles and DLC to strengthen their following and not divide it. Operation Arrowhead brought changes and improvements that were needed and should have been released in Arma2 but at least they made everything compatible and continue to do so.

Here is an introduction to the next title in the Operation Flashpoint series: Red River. Enjoy!

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2011, 13:54:46 »
Dragon Rising sucked for most, including myself, but I'm always glad to see a person enjoying a game even if it does suck. Sometimes there's a novelty to something being so bad it's good (not saying that's the case with you, or is it? :P ). One thing's for sure is that Codemasters don't care about their customers, nor developing any sort of community. Make them dedicate themselves to working on one of their games, they are less willing to buy their next.

I have to hand it to Codemasters. Their marketing department is impressive.

The AI is better thanks to the same smoke and mirrors used in many other games. To have similar results you have to have expert-programmer-level knowledge of how they use their spawning and AI logics, something that so far only templargfx out of their entire community has been able to "master", and that was only after he got help from CM themselves. They never shared that knowledge with the rest of the DR community.

Sorry, I don't think less of you at all, I just think you've been won-over by the aforementioned smoke and mirrors. You aren't the only one.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2011, 13:57:01 by Zipper5 »

Offline Barbolani

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:36:11 »
Heh, I respect a lot your opinion Zipper, but I don't understand one thing:

DR Gaming, you enter a house, enemy contact, enemy approaches the house, enemy uses MG and completeley supress you (I mean YOU, not the AI) your AI is stuck too, enemy continues approaching, one minute later the house is surrounded by rifle infantry, you are dead... This is my gaming experience with DR.

You call it "smoke and mirrors"? I just call it a better work... even on only just that part!!!

That kind of thing has never been seen AFAIK withour heavy scripting in BIS games, and what I really want is to see the next BIS title with things like this.

I remember an interesting topic from Wolfrug on this forum... "Making ArmA more "gamey"" maybe that's DR...

EDIT: BTW I've never tried OA... apart from the new campaign, island, graphs whatever, what's new??? Just asking.

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:12:31 »
Okay confession time I bought DR for both pc and xbox 360 so I certainly contributed to codemaster's abuse of the OFP title. Have to admit I didn't rate the pc version at all and found it worked better on the console but then I was looking for a "grown up" console shooter similar to OFP: Elite and DR didn't exactly give me what I was looking for. The interface worked better with the 360 controller - shame I traded in my pc 360 controller as I wouldn't have minded trying the pc version with it. Did anyone else try that?

Yes, the AI was better but then freedom was constrained (compared to AA2) and I noticed that the AI spawned near wherever you were, yes I understand that is part of a lot of video games "smoke and mirrors" but you shouldn't be able to see that happening on screen.

As for Red River I'll give it a miss on the pc but will have to see about the x360 version.
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline lustypooh

• Members
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:49:44 »
Just read this http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/10671/operation-flashpoint-is-thinking-mans-fps-arma-no-threat

I finally realized why I disliked OFP2 and never finished it. I am not a thinking man.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:22:10 »
It so rubs me the wrong way they use the name Operation Flashpoint like that. Makes it sound like the original real OFP never even existed..  >:(
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2011, 12:23:38 »
To their target market, Dragon Rising is the first OFP. I'm not kidding, I've run into many people quoting "the first Operation Flashpoint" and referring to DR. It's depressing to say the least.

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2011, 16:12:51 »
This is my honest opinion.

I played ofp dr for some 2-3 hours, and dropped it.
Just because I feel kinda dizzy with it's super-glooming sun, plus I've faced several issues with the "Advanced Control System".(It's too hard for me to spot the enemies, as everything looked like as i was in a blown and white movie)

Though there are times which I love OFP DR better than A2, like the others said, the AI is good.
And sometimes the graphics look even better than ArmA 2 (2nd mission, night time)

And I really liked the way the operators whispered each other. It was more realistic than special opeartors shouting
"5 o'clock Binladin , 100"
with the noisy radio.

Regards,
Haroon1992
Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline Lenyoga

• Professor of Misanthropology
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2011, 16:33:53 »
I've played OFP for as long as I can remember, and I also played Dragon Rising (yes, to the end).

To me it looks like Codemasters tried to create something between a 'light military simulator' and a Call-of-Duty like first person shooter.

I do not see why they chose Operation Flashpoint as title for this game; it has nothing to do with the original. And it wasn't really good, only some MP missions were fun, some of the technical details were better than in ARMA - the rest was like... you know those films you don't remember after you watched them?

Cheers.
As a grandmother I've got lots of gold.