Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP 2 - Dragon Rising  (Read 7584 times)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
OFP 2 - Dragon Rising
« on: 30 Sep 2009, 19:59:28 »
Just saw an ad for Flashpoint 2, Dragon Rising, and brought back my memories of being at OFPEC many years ago.

Speaking of which, has OFPEC drawn any lines yet about possibly supporting OFP 2? Any contacts to Codemasters or is OFPEC "BI only" place?

:)
Not all is lost.

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: OFP 2 - Dragon Rising
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 20:28:27 »
Well DR looks like to become a massive fail for people familiar with OFP/arma gaming and modding.  ::)

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2009, 20:49:48 »
I really hope OFPEC doesn't support DR. DR is nothing like OFP, and I hope that OFPEC doesn't help it abuse that name.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2009, 21:58:39 »
The short story is: the jury's still out.

The longer story is: when DR is released, if the editing Community goes nuts for the capabilites of the game, OFPEC may well support them. However, I believe the consensus is that a separate DR editing center would be set up rather than confuse things on this site.

As far as the politics go, I suspect everyone in the Community knows by now that DR != OFP2 in any real sense, regardless of how Codemasters decide to market it. Either way, OFPEC will continue to support the games created by BI; whether that's an exclusive thing can only be determined after DR's release.

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2009, 22:44:26 »
I don't know why people here are SO alien towards Codemasters.
After all, OFP2 could turn out to run with less bugs because of the narrower scope of the game.
I think most people play the basic grunt/BlackOp missions most of the time, and this is what OFP2 should deliver, so why not give it a try? It can hardly start off worse than both ArmAs.

A valid point, however is the completely different scripting language that renders all the accumulated knowledge here useless. Which makes sense to create a different DR editing center.
I believe that most of the staff here will stick to what they already know, but what about providing webspace for creative people willing to dig into DR?
I mean this "Nay-you-are-a-CS-COD-clone-player-and-besides-CM-stole-the-name-so-shove-off" attitude is completely ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2009, 23:58:15 »
The CM stealing the name part is only a small fraction of my distaste for the game.

• 63 "entities" (I personally think that means individual soldiers) max per map - relies on mass spawning of enemies a'la COD4.
  • 2km^2 mission area max
  • What appears to be a total of 11 vehicles
  • AI that is apparently worse than OFP, ArmA and ArmA II
  • Worse physics than OFP, ArmA and ArmA II
  • No jets, no civilians

Alas, I won't turn this in to the BI Forums DR discussion thread. And I would fully support the creation of a DR editing center rather than using OFPEC. However, I personally think the game will be dead after 2 months.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #6 on: 01 Oct 2009, 16:37:49 »
 I would like to think that if Operation flashpoint dragon rising is editable ,OFPEC will find a place for it , if the editor is to use LUA scripting then i for one believe the Maturity and proffesionalism which thrives in this site along with its unrivalled problem solving ,would be fantastic not only for people like the OP who used to enjoy OFP but for new people who will just be setting out in mission editing in OF DR. as i remember it that was the very thing that this site was created for.

People may hate how codemasters have chosen to USE/Abuse the name but at the end of the day thses sites are about making peoples gaming and editing experience alot more enjoyable and beneficial, its goal is to give people the knowledge to achieve what is possible and educate them in what is not possible , not to become Magic ball readers about a game that has not even been released.

I would also like to point out that ,for me my memmories of OFP where never focused on how big the island where or whether i could fly a jet over everon .
 My memories where of the waiting in the lobby of Gamespy with 64,000 others waiting to play a game of  capture the flag or Team deathmatch or even Deathmatch. these maps were all i played and they didnt need 500m square maps never mind 2km, even BIS recognise now that these people were essential to the lifespan of ofp and i believe they will build two islands for there next expansion 1 of which will be aimed at people like myself .
  I secretly hope that OF DR will bring back that old crowd , especially the countless number of people who made the missions, BIS have had two attempts now with Arma and Arma2 , i really hope there expansion gets it right and we end up with two games that cater for my kind of gaming.

« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2009, 16:55:45 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline kju

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2009, 09:46:54 »
To get an idea what terms of mission editing and scripting is possible,
read the PC Mission Editor Help File Available For Download.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #8 on: 04 Oct 2009, 11:55:09 »

Thanks for the link KJU,
 it looks very nice and user friendly help guide. i already feel myself looking at the commands and wondering about some stuff.
 But damn i told myself  i want to just play now not edit anymore lol.I think its going to be very different and just as fun experimenting as it was in OFP days, i cant see myself being able to resist opening up all the DR files and seeing how it ticks.

I have it ordered so i guess we all finally see in 5 days just what this game is all about.

I love ofp

Offline kju

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2009, 21:47:05 »
The game is horrible.  :dunno:

All game files are in 8 MB pack files.
Does not look like to be meant to be modded.
No info out there as well about it.  ::)

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2009, 22:13:51 »
If you cut out half the units, half the map, and half the graphics from ArmA2, you'd still have a better game than Dragon Rising.

The only nice features are being able to peek over the top cover, weapons with working FLIR, and AI that hides behind cover and flanks more.

Offline Binkowski

• OFP-fanatic
  • OFPEC Patron
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2009, 23:55:23 »
A quote from bit-tech's review. Pretty well sums up my opinion.

There are some to whom Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising will still hold promise and for those people we're glad. They'll play it and love the huge selection of vehicles and need for teamwork. Most people though won't get that out of the game though and they'll see it for what it is - a schizophrenic design built over a bland world. Connoisseurs will know that there are better options out there, while fans of regular shooters will be better served by Call of Duty and its ilk.

At the end of the day, if the question is whether Codemasters can replicate the success of the original Operation Flashpoint without the help of Bohemia Interactive Studios then the answer is simple. No.

I was thinking about renting it for my console. But then I realized. That would be enough money wasted. So I don't think I'm going to.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2009, 00:34:56 »

thouroughly enjoying it here ,  simply because i havent actually played since ofp ( mod and addon making does that to ya ,ruined the gameplay for me ).

tomorrow i will try my first forray into the mission editor and see if i can create my old favourite ,spec op mission and kill some pesky tanks in a yard after i have sneaked through a wood at night ;).

for me its enjoyable because
a. like i said making addons and scripting in arma and arma2 has zapped my ability yo play it.
b. arma always lacked ambience and good atmosphere out of the box, this games sounds are fantastic the narration too.
c. i have a PS3 and an xbox 360 so i can relate to the console port (its as near as i will ever get to elite being on the compatibility list for the 360 i guess.

oh and i think this

At the end of the day, if the question is whether Codemasters can replicate the success of the original Operation Flashpoint without the help of Bohemia Interactive Studios then the answer is simple. No.

could always become this and still remain true.

At the end of the day, if the question is whether Bohemia Interactive can replicate the success of the original Operation Flashpoint without the help of Codemasters then the answer is simple. No.
I love ofp

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2009, 06:00:07 »
(insert) the financial backing of (Codemasters)

Will Codemasters support Bohemia so it can make it an amazing game? No, they aren't interested in quality, only a game that is released on schedule, and makes a quick buck. It's beyond me as to how they plan to squeeze more money out of us for the proposed DLC. However, I am glad you're having fun with it. Maybe they just need a little time to release a dedicated server, remove some of the limitations on the PC version, and show us that they care about the content they release by providing adequate support to the game.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2009, 10:11:35 »
Ok, let's not turn this thread sour, please. :cop:
We don't need to start any bashing here..

On the topic of DR mision editor:
- As the editor is a separate software you know how it goes: in order to test your mission you push the "test mission" button which loads up the game (it can't be running in the background) and once you wanna go back to edit the mission you have to close the game, edit the mission, start up the game again, preview, close the game, edit mission, start up the game again... That is so incredibly infuriating I'm not even going to try to make actual mission with that, checking out some vehicles was tedious enough..
- 63 entity limit at one time (the real OFP had over 3000 btw), and you actually run over that limit before you even realise it. The editor doesn't tell you about it, you find it out when starting up the game to test the mission (*golfclap*)..
- Apparently 20 script limit per mission (eh..?)
- The scripting language is a bit limited, slightly more than a half of the real OFP's commands (DR 260+, OFP:R 400+), there's no math related commands for example. The DR commands focus strickly on controlling the mission events, no room for anything innovative there (from what I can tell).
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 10:19:26 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.