Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: JTD_FireAndSmoke released  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Trexian

• Members
JTD_FireAndSmoke released
« on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:47:17 »
by DMarkwick

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86237

(He's having trouble posting here.)

Get it here:
http://dmarkwick64.googlepages.com/JTD_FireAndSmoke_0_1.rar

Readme:
JTD_FireAndSmoke, by JTD.

Anyone can use this addon for use in ArmA2, including hosting the files for download. It must remain intact with this readme. Anyone wishing to include this addon in their own package have that permission, and although not a requirement, you might like to drop a line at http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86237 to let us know.
The addon may not be altered without permission for public use. In the spirit of community sharing, without which this addon wouldn't exist in the first place, all scripts can be viewed and purloined for further use, with credits, as long as the addon itself remains intact as per the official release.

***What is it?***

JTD_FireAndSmoke is an effects addon that adds bigger, better and more useful smoke than the default ingame smoke. The ingame smoke is unaffected, this addon "layers" effects over the top. It's MP compliant, looks great, and is AI viewblock by default. Destroyed vehicles will send up huge plumes of smoke visible from miles away and last a long time, very useful for a sense of battlefield presence and history. Additional to this there is a propagating fire functionality that will set forests, buildings and vehicles on fire dependant on proximity, wind, and rain.

***What do I need?***

You need the JTD_FireAndSmoke.pbo file, the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file, and you need the CBA (Community Base Addons) install.

***How do I use it?***

You treat the JTD_FireAndSmoke.pbo file just like any other addon file, you place it in the mod folder of your choice, in the addons subfolder. The JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file MUST go in your ArmA2\dta folder. It contains settings and information that the addon needs to run.

Step-by-step instructions:

1. Extract content to someplace.
2. Put the @JTD folder in your ArmA2 folder
3. Make a shortcut to your ArmA2 game with the switch -mod=@JTD or add the @JTD to your list of mods already there.
4. Place DMSmokeEffects_Config.hpp file into your ArmA2\dta folder.

Instructions for the totally clueless:

1. First, make sure you copied the @JTD folder into your ArmA2 game folder, AND you also copied the DMSmokeEffects_Config.hpp file into your ArmA2\dta folder.

2. right click on your desktop ArmA2 shortcut, copy it and paste the copy right back in the same place. You now have TWO desktop shortcuts, one of which we will now modify to use the JTD_FireAndSmoke mod, the other will remain just ArmA2.

3. Right click one of the shortcuts, and choose Properties from the list.
In the Target textbox field you will see the command that is executed by this shortcut, it will read something like:
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA2\arma2.exe"

You will now add
-mod=@JTD
to the end of this, so in the example above the entire line in the textbox will read:
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA2\arma2.exe" -mod=@JTD

4. Now you can OK the Properties box and the shortcut will now run JTD_FireAndSmoke. You can rename the shortcut to remind you of what mod it runs, I have several shortcuts that run various different mods.

***How do I alter it?***

There are several config settings you can use in the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file, mostly to do with enabling and disabling various aspects of JTD_FireAndSmoke. You can also alter the lifetime of effects to give you longer, or shorter, smoke effects over time. You can also set the number of concurrent tree fires so that forest fires don't get out of control and bog your PC down. The settings have descriptions in the file.
Also, you can add or subtract tree names from the list of trees in there, so you can add any custom trees you've made for your map for example. The trees that are currently in there are trees from ArmA2 and ArmA1 also, so if you use the CAA1 mod for example the addon will work in ArmA1 maps just as it does for the ArmA2 maps.

***What's the downside?***

Inevitably there is a performance hit for a mod of this nature. However, considering the visual complexity this adds to your gaming experience you might find this performance hit negligible, I have a fairly old machine and I'm constantly surprised at how much extra smoke I can get before noticing any slowdowns. Plus, you can always tweak the config settings for taste and performance. Very heavy battles will of course have a bigger impact on performance than lighter, more moderate battles. Personally speaking, longer more drawn-out encounters with smaller "flurries" of action over a few hours work the best.

***What should I watch out for?***

If you use JTD_FireAndSmoke in the ArmA2 editor, and you preview the mission, then you will get an addon dependancy written into the mission.sqm file. Exactly the same as if you'd used any other addon in your mission. If you wish to have your mission JTD_FireAndSmoke independant you should manually remove this entry with a text editor.

***What's next?***

As ever, constant improvements, tweaks and bug fixes. Things I want to do include addon sounds, improving existing textures and adding extra functionality for more realism.

***Release history***

JTD_FireAndSmoke v0.1 - initial release.

***Acknowledgments***
JTD:
DMarkwick
TRexian
ReconPathFinder

Credits to:
DeanosBeano, Wolfrug, Planck, h-, Worldeater, Killswitch, UNN, kju, Sickboy, Kronzky, Maddmatt, Manzilla, Tankbuster, Icebreakr, Alex72

Special acknowledgments:
CBA team, and of course BIS.

:D
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: JTD_FireAndSmoke released
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2009, 08:58:07 »
Wohoo! :D Downloading and testing. Looks very good though  :good:

(topic moved here since this is where all 'releases' whether beta or final should be :))

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Trexian

• Members
Re: JTD_FireAndSmoke released
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2009, 14:10:04 »
 :good:

Got it. :)  Wasn't sure where. :D

IMHO, this addon really adds not only to immersion, but to game play also.  Which is usually a winning combination. :D
Sic semper tyrannosauro.