Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Creating own Arma2 Campaign / Basic example  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Colho

• Members
Creating own Arma2 Campaign / Basic example
« on: 26 Aug 2009, 20:22:00 »
Cheers everyone,

first of all thanks for the loads of extremely useful advice browsing this site has provided for an enthusiastic Arma2 editor. Secondly, I apologize beforehand if this question has already been answered somewhere. If so, I haven't found help despite a search that is slowly roasting me ripe for the looney bin.

The problem: joining missions into campaigns. I've come across a lot of advice of how this is done, but even if I copy (or at least think I do!) the instructions to the letter, the missions just won't merge as a campaign.

Could it be that campaign editing in Arma2 is so different from Arma/OFP of which those instructions speak of... and thus things just don't work.

This is what I've got so far (using an example campaign I created to test how these things work as an example):

Folders:
the (well working) missions (Xample0.Chernarus & Xample1.Chernarus) for the campaign are each in their own folders that lie inside the Missions folder in Xample (test-campaign's name) folder, that in turn, resides in Campaigns folder in Arma2 main directory. Don't think I screwed up there, if the instructions were correct!

Description.ext
...within the current campaign's folder (Xample) is probably the thing behind my escaping sanity. I do think I understand how it works, but no matter what, the campaign just won't work. (Meaning I probably don't understand it at all)  :)

There's a comprehensive looking page at Bohemia's Wiki, but it lacks a basic example of a working campaign descr.ext file.

As all I need is the campaign to link the missions together, so that if you succesfully pass one you move on to the next, and if you die you start over.

A tutorial for such would be a great help but I haven't found one. Charlie Howarth 'Campaign Description.ext for Beginners' http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=details&id=25&game=ArmA at this page's Editor's Depot seemed like a brilliant one, but meant for OFP and so the last bit about compressing the campaign wasn't doable in Arma2.

If anyone knows of a similar tutorial, a link would be greatly appreciated. And by a lot more people than just myself, I'm sure. Or if there would be a kind soul to tell how Charlie's instructions should be altered to make things work in Arma2.

Below is the most simplistic version of my decription.ext for the Xample campaign, in case anyone sees something quite wrong with that.

Code: [Select]
class Campaign
{
name = "Test Campaign";
firstBattle = Chapter1;

class Chapter1
{
name = "Chapter One";
cutscene = ;
firstmission = xample0;

class xample0
{
NoAward = true;
end1 = xample1;
end2 = xample1;
end3 = xample1;
end4 = xample1;
end5 = xample1;
end6 = xample1;
lost = xample0;
template = xample0.Chernarus;
};

class xample1
{
NoAward = true;
end1 = ;
end2 = ;
end3 = ;
end4 = ;
end5 = ;
end6 = ;
lost = ;
template = xample1.Chernarus;
};

};

};   

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Creating own Arma2 Campaign / Basic example
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 09:34:10 »
Post #3.

I'm planning on turning it into a proper "tutorial" at some point, I'm just slow. But yeah, that works. :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Colho

• Members
Re: Creating own Arma2 Campaign / Basic example
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 15:16:16 »
That helped! Saved my campaign and my sanity  :D 

Thanks a ton! :good: