Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] "USMC Village Raid"  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Bahger

• Members
Re: [SP] "USMC Village Raid" [Please Review]
« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2010, 07:55:47 »
Great observations/suggestions, Ranger, much appreciated.

- I realised too late that all that junk shows up in the user-saved mission title so I figured I'd simply rename the file.  No dice.  ArmA 2 only reads files that were created and named inside the program and does not appear to acknowledge renaming via Windows.

- Thank you for the screenshot.  I will use this in the published mission.  I have spent too much time wrestling with the Editor to learn the cinematics, hence the lack of intro/outro and my inability to take screenshots from beyond the HUD.  (I am in two minds about the cinematics.  As capable as ArmA is in this area, I worry about putting the player inside a movie when I want him to be inside a simulation.  Just a personal preference.)

- Re wp carets, yup, I "inherited" the "obj1 setSimpleTaskDestination (getMarkerPos "Khelm")" from a briefing template I used and should probably lose it, it clutters things up.  Matter of fact, I'm not sure I like the hints either. Why hold the player's hand when he ought to read the brief?

- Interesting what you say about the first aid module, which appears to be a kind of proof-of-concept thing on BIS's part.  I find that I can summon the medic to heal wounded guys as long as they are in my FOV and that if I am wounded, my new "actual" summons him to heal me.  It works a lot better than when A2 was initially released but I have no idea whatsoever if the above functions are "vanilla" or actuated by the first aid module that I attempted to use (with Zipper's help).

- I must learn how to implement the high command module in missions.  As a tactical gamer/mission editor, it needs to be in my toolbox.

- Helo behavior is interesting.  Thanks for the tip.  Setting it to "Safe" causes it to take off vertically as opposed to an aggressive nose-down attitude, which helps avoid fireballs.

- Yeah, I'm always amused by being debriefed about civilian kills = a rooster and a mongrel.  In future I will use the module but  I hand-placed the wildlife as I did not want anomalies, like animals in buildings.

- It's gratifying that you chose to play the mission by preemptively attacking the reinforcements.  I'm glad that the basic mission design permits these tactics, which of course it would not if the reinforcements were spawned in.  I've thought of trying it this way but always assumed that the AI would get themselves killed.  The happy coincidence of the reinforcement activation trigger for me is that it usually puts the player in the position of having to decide whether to go forward with the initial mission task or to redirect his attention to the vehicles which he can hear approaching just as he gets in range of the AA radar.  This might be just the kind of tactical decision an MRS c/o would have to make, which is why I like it.  I'd be interested to know what you think if you choose to replay the mission that way.  If I knew how to make the scenario coop -- which I do not -- then a human fire team leader could use his satchel charge to ambush the enemy reinforcement convoy.  Anyway, I must now attempt to play the mission the way you did.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I very much want to make more missions but I'm a whole lot more comfortable with infantry tactics than with code and find the coding aspect -- in the Editor, that is, I can't even imagine scripting -- very challenging.  I want to figure out how to use ready-made scripts so that I can incorporate limited player-directed arty (mortar) or air support into my next scenario.  And I will leave helo insertions alone for a while!

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2010, 08:09:02 by Bahger »

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2010, 12:24:21 »
If everything's all set, then I shall be more than happy to review this for you, Bagher. Just say the word. :)

Offline Bahger

• Members
« Reply #32 on: 21 Feb 2010, 19:06:11 »
OK, Zipper, let me swap out the Overview pic and then I will post the file here later this morning.

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #33 on: 22 Feb 2010, 12:53:18 »
Awesome. I'll review it and have it up ASAP.

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2010, 15:00:32 »
Sorry it took as long as it did, Bahger, but I've now completed the review. Good job for a first mission. ;)

Offline Bahger

• Members
Re: (Review Completed) [SP] "USMC Village Raid" [Please Review]
« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2010, 20:46:11 »
Very fair review, Zipper, thanks.  And thanks for your help in smoothing out some of the rough edges.  I hope you'll be involved with my next, probably more ambitious, beta mission at OFPEC.