Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Artillery with longer range  (Read 2027 times)

Offline granQ

• Contributing Member
    • Anrop.se
Artillery with longer range
« on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:31:50 »
Hi, I haven't really had much time to look into this but I want to do an artillery piece with longer range then the one in ArmA2 (m119), but still be able to use the artillery modules. Is this possible somehow or is the range defined in the module?
Cura Posterior

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
Re: Artillery with longer range
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2009, 16:17:17 »
 Hey Granq;
 Havent delved into it myself either too much, i was told the arty shells use some kind of Neural net of its own similar to old COC but more modern.
 i guess quick test to see if you can modify the easy way is to make a new shell and copy everything  from original and adjust the Init and typical speed of the shell. if this goes further than the original and still maintains its Parabola  ok ,then you in for easy ride.
 If not then maybe some easy parameters can be added lol.

Most of the scripts are  in the modiles \arty folders . and in the config look for
ARTY_NetShell = "ARTY_xxxx_NET"
I love ofp

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2009, 11:19:54 »
To understand why granQ may want this (and I'm with him  :D ), for reference, here are the minimum and maximum ranges in meters for the BIS artillery module system as they are in ArmA II using the 1.04.60000 beta:
TypeMinMax
Mortars (2B14/M252)1003700
Howitzers (D30/M119)23755800
BM-21 Grad1003700
M270 MLRS490015500

These numbers come from using the BIS_ARTY_F_LoadMapRanges function on a given battery (artillery logic) and then checking the two arty object values ""ARTY_MIN_RANGE" and "ARTY_MAX_RANGE". Read more here: Artillery Module
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2009, 11:27:40 by Killswitch »

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2009, 10:56:04 »
 I dont think its possible unless you copy the scripts and edit the data that takes the init speed and typical speed , you may even have to rework the fsm.

i had a quick look and the same max min are inside the scripts , i havent had time to see if it takes the configfile info and applies it or it applies its own.

i guess if you want to continue using the default arty , you should look at the script and see what parameters are being sent , there are lots but essentially its virtual or real shell.

alternatively you can do what i did for arma 1 and make 100 shells with 100 init speeds and load the correct shell for the distance required , i got a initspeed that would fire 20km when the turret was at full tilt and then made a math solution to reduce distance down to 1 km depending on shell loaded and turret angle. ( not recomended)

or
you can do what mandoble does and track the projectile and steer it to its destonation .
in essence everythings done for you by bis ,you jsut need to send different params to the scripts, thats the way i would do it.

I love ofp