Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Helicopter Commander Possible???  (Read 2557 times)

Offline DuckHunter

• Members
Helicopter Commander Possible???
« on: 12 Aug 2009, 06:57:59 »
Would it be possible to build new/script into helicopters to have the "Commander" position commands therefore possibly creating the same maneuver ability as modeled with the tanks as the gunner?  Being the gunner is absolutely NO fun unless there is a human pilot/driver to communicate with. Whereas you can enter any tank as the commander, jump into the gunner position yet still order the driver to maneuver around?  This would open up even more possibilities of how the game is played.  Oh, and those of you who may say that it is not realistic therefore should not be modeled, be reminded that this was released as a game and not a simulation - also moving around the different positions of the tank in the heat of battle is not realistic either, but yet we can do it.

Duck Out

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: Helicopter Commander Possible???
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2009, 13:37:24 »
Hmmm, I think the cobra gunner would find it rather hard to swap positions with the pilot in flight.
Tank crew could manage much easier.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2009, 14:30:38 »
Something like this in a script may work.
But I found that the driver doesnt accept W-S-A-D key instructions. You have to click on terrain or the map to get the driver to move for you.

cxx = vehicle a1;
axx = driver cxx;
bxx = gunner cxx;
axx action ["GETOUT", cxx];
bxx action ["GETOUT", cxx];
sleep 0.5;
bxx assignasDriver cxx;
axx assignAsGunner cxx;
bxx moveInDriver cxx;
axx moveInGunner cxx;
bxx action ["engineOn", cxx];
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2009, 14:37:16 by Gnat »

Offline DuckHunter

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:22:35 »
I have never really messed with the files other than maybe changing a value or two, so creating something from scratch is way beyond me (right now). Earlier I created a mission that uses an empty helo, radio triggers to command the helicopter to different altitudes with the flyinheight, and setdir to change directions . The change in direction is immediate with no turning  :( . The altitude change to go down will happen immediately whereas to go up requires you to select the pilot and click on the map. The pilot also has to be given "Safe" and "Hold Fire" or he will go into attack mode and fly with his own intent.

It was with this that I wondered why no one has ever created Helicopter Gunner to Pilot communication scripts or even complete helo addon with the ability?  If I can accomplish this much functionality in less than 10 minutes in the mission builder, how much is possible with someone a lot smarter than myself?
I know what I would like to see in added in functionality, I just don't know how to get it done.