Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Retaliation campaign for ArmA2  (Read 2299 times)

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Retaliation campaign for ArmA2
« on: 22 Jul 2009, 09:28:09 »
Does anyone have a copy of the stringtable for the english version of the old Retaliation campaign? That little masterpiece that was made for OFP? My version of the campain, and all the versions I've been able to find on internet, are in russian only. I distinctly remember that there was an english version as well back in the days.

I'm trying to port one of the campaign missions from Retaliation to ArmA2, and need help translating part of the dialogue in one of the missions. Namely the helicopter mission, featuring a singning door gunner who's mocking his pilot as their chopper get's lost at sea, if anyone remembers that scene.

I speak russian on a very basic level and would really need some help to get this project going again. An attached stringtable or a download link to the english version would suffice.

Sidenote: Does anyone know who made the Retaliation campaign? Are any of the original mission makers still active in the community? I'd like to ask heir permission before I release anything borrowed from the original campaign.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 09:31:43 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: Retaliation campaign for ArmA2
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2009, 12:43:47 »
I have what appears to be an english version, got it from here:

http://www.filefront.com/2346597/OFPR_Campaign_Retaliation-I-EU.exe

Hope that is what you wanted.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2009, 13:12:18 »
Thanks. Will check when I come home. I also have the I-EU-verison and although there is an "English" entry in the comma separated value-list, the strings are all in russian. Hope this one is complete. It's becomming really hard to come by some of the classic OFP-stuff these days.
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2009, 13:25:21 »
hello nominesine  :)

Goodspeed, flashpoint.ru admin, is the best guy to ask.

Project OAC got the permission to convert the full campaign to A1.
The condition was that the OTK team gets involved to ensure proper quality.
OTK are nice people.  :good:
Sadly interest and motivation was too low in the community to achieve it.

It'd be great to achieve it this time. Not sure if Goodspeed, still has enough confidence in OAC though.  :(

Be sure to check out what the OAC project is all about.  :good:
Basically in short get the best missions and campaigns of OFP and A1 playable in A2.  :cool2:

More here:
http://oac.armaholic.eu/

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2009, 13:32:51 »
Okay, thanks. Will check that. But I most definately don't want to convert the entire campaign.
 :no:
Imagine the workload involved. Remember that I'm not a mod team. It's just me. I want to "borrow" a song and some accompanying sound clips from one of the missions and build a similar scene. Sort of a tribute to the original.
 :yes:
I already posted in the flashpoint.ru forums to ask for permission and additional translating help. I might drop an e-mail to Goodspeed as well. I assume he speaks english?
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline kju

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2009, 13:48:02 »
He does. Well OAC did already all the technical conversion.

It was about fixing visual issues with dialogs and playability.
OAC is a team effort for that reason.  :)
Still way cheaper than building a new campaign from the scratch.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2009, 14:01:15 »
I just read the OAC project description. Very good idea. Do you guys cooperate with the CWR-team? I intend to make a couple of missions with an OFP feeling. Rather than convert existing OFP missions into exact ArmA2 duplicates I want to combine bits and pieces from well known OFP missions into a new story. Even if it's not exactly what OAC aims to do, I'll gladly share my work if you find it useful.
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline kju

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2009, 17:25:37 »
CWR and OAC cooperate in various ways. Not as much as I would wish, yet apart from that
it is working out well.

It was agreed that it makes sense to have to project as both have different goals and ways
to achieve em.

Essentially CWR wants to offer the full scenario of CWC and Res taking OFPE as a base.
While OAC aims to bring any great missions or campaign to the latest series. In terms of non mission
conent OAC is based solely on community content and does not develop anything by itself.
At the same time OAC uses the PC versions of CWC and Res as a base.

To my opinion it is a fair way to handle the situation. For the end users it offers choice or more content.
The key is to ensure cooperation and avoid hostility. OAC was always very open in that regard.

Last but not least OAC is using a very different development, release and update strategy as well
as user involvement. It is not if the one or another is better. Instead it is about trying out what
works best for the given situation and most important the people.  :good: