Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: What does WAYPOINT: SCRIPTED/TALK do?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
What does WAYPOINT: SCRIPTED/TALK do?
« on: 17 Jul 2009, 09:24:50 »
How does the Waypoints SCRIPTED and TALK differ from other waypoints? According to the ArmA2 manual the work like this:

Talk - speak a sentence from the Effects section of the waypoint.
Scripted - executes the script file in the Script text field of the waypoint.

Since I can achieve the same effect with regular MOVE waypoints (using the activation field or the effects option) I wonder: What's the point of having these as separate waypoints? Did I miss something here?
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: What does WAYPOINT: SCRIPTED/TALK do?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2009, 11:27:22 »
I imagine they do exactly the same sort of thing they did in OFP, not sure if they have changed much since then for ArmA2.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:12:53 »
I never used them in OFP either :)

So my question still remains the same. Do they have any built in function that makes them different from move or any other terminating waypoint?
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:46:29 »
Both are described here:

Talk - Is used in combination with the Effects button at the bottom of the Waypoints Dialogue. The group's leader will speak the given Voice phrase, complete with lip movements. The group does not move to the waypoint's location, instead skipping immediately to the next waypoint.

Scripted - This waypoint type will execute the script file that is in the "Script" box on the bottom of the waypoints screen. Enter the file name directly, without any exec type command or quotation marks, then up to 4 arguments in an array. The group will not move to the waypoint location. The group will wait until the external script exits before moving on to the next waypoint. An argument array is passed to the script in the form [<group leader>,<waypoint position array>,<object waypoint is attached to>,<user array element 0>,<user array element 1>,<user array element 3>,<user array element 4>]. Note the On Activation script code block can be used to execute any script at any waypoint, making this waypoint type somewhat redundant.
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2009, 14:55:29 »
Well, that eplains their uses. In MP: Are scripts launched from a waypoint executed globally on all clients or only on a machines where the group attached to the waypoint is local?
OFPEC | Intel Depot