Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Dismemberment system  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Noobinator

• Members
Dismemberment system
« on: 10 Jul 2009, 18:50:10 »
Hey guys :)

Ok im currently looking into making either an advanced gib system where each individual limb can be detached, and if this isnt possible, i'd like to create a less advanced script which would delete the soldier(s) and replace it with gibs.

The concept for the second method seems pretty simple, but i have no idea how to start it :(

Now here are the methods that i have come across via research in regards to the advanced system;

1. use an animation that will (fold) the limb into the torso
2. create transparent textures that will hide the limbs
3. Hide limbs via selections on the model, then later define in config

Can anyone help me?  :)

Thanks in advance

F2

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2009, 18:52:24 by Noobinator »

Offline Rommel92

• Members
Re: Dismemberment system
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2009, 05:31:58 »
I made a system for FLIR eyes only which when a unit was killed, they got turned into about 80 radios, which looked quite... disturbing seeing an entire man just go apart. Definitely had people believe it was dismemberment till they turned off the FLIR and got up close.

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Dismemberment system
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2009, 15:12:30 »
The second system is indeed by far the simplest. To begin with, you could take a generic soldier (one from each side) that represents a catch-all model for ANY soldiers on that side. (No need to make lots of models for the initial proof-of-concept phase.)

Then, from that soldier make 5 different models:
Torso & head. (or subdivide that into 2 more models if you're feeling particularly gruesome ;))
Left arm.
Right arm
Left leg.
Right leg.

When you make an arm or leg (by selecting everything else & deleting it) make sure you reposition it so that the "joint" is at model space [0,0,0]. Also, while you're at it, make sure all the body parts are rotated so they're aligned to the ground already, will make things easier later.

Lose all the unnecessary geometry, memory points etc.

Then you should have the necessary parts to be able to randomly "stitch" together various combinations of injury. You can randomise each limb's orientation around the ground plane, let's say 0-45 degrees for legs, 0-180 degrees for arms. There are some limitations obviously (as we discussed at BIS):
Only dead units can be gibbed.
Probably best to have gibbed units either face up or face down for simplicity.

Then I guess you'll need some code to decide how "damaged" units are when they've been killed, so you don't get unrealistic amounts of gibs all over the place at the slightest provocation :) my own feeling is that only the most violent injuries should need gibbing, say a very close explosion, of a hammering from some high impact & high caliber machine gun, like a mini-gun.