Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Using sounds from the game?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline CharlieReddog

• Members
Using sounds from the game?
« on: 08 Jul 2009, 09:29:43 »
I want to get a specific AI to scream in pain and shout for a medic/"please help me" etc when players are near. However, I've never played with sounds before, and all the tutorials I can find seem to be geared up to using custom sounds, I want to use the stock sounds from the game. Is this possible, and how would I do it?

Offline CharlieReddog

• Members
Re: Using sounds from the game?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2009, 14:30:07 »
So, no one can help? :dunno:

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2009, 17:41:08 »
Sorry,

No, it is very unlikely you can use "stock sounds" without either an addon config or extracting them from the game and adding them as custom sounds. Don't know if that has changed in Arma 2 however. What you can do is to put down a trigger and go to the Effects tab, and then in the Anonymous or Voice drop-down menu check to see all the sounds that are currently configged to work by default. If there are any "medic!" etc. sounds there, then it's just a matter of finding their names - if not, you probably need to add them as custom sounds. In ArmA there were among other things a whole conversation between Armstrong and his lieutenant taken from one of the missions in OFP, which for some reason snuck in...

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline CharlieReddog

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2009, 19:25:37 »
Wolfrug,

That's funny don't you think, you can use sounds added to the game, but not the "stock sounds". Pure madness ???

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll have to try and work out how to get around that for my mission.

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2009, 20:21:08 »
Defining them in the description.ext should just work fine, why not Wolfrug?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2009, 12:24:34 »
@ kju

Isn't this the same question as asked here link? I already discussed it there, what I'd done and tried and tested in ArmA. As mentioned: if we're really lucky it's all changed in Arma 2, but someone'd need to test that. Go right ahead!

Wolfrug out.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2009, 13:03:28 »
Correction: several stock sounds found in ArmA2 can be called from within your mission, without redefining them in your description.ext. The problem is finding references to them, so you can call them. I know only a few so far (that are being used by the High Command module). You can test them yourself in the editor:

Code: [Select]
player say "hc-001"
player say "hc-002"
player say "hc-003"
/.../ et cetera /.../
player say "hc-079"

Or why not try

playSound "LHD_engine"
The first are high command orders and respones from your troops (in broken english). I believe there's a "MEDIC!"-sound among them. Or words to that effect. The second eexample is an engine sound intended for the carrier ship. It's used in the campaign to give you the feeling of being onboard a moving ship. The examples above are all in .wss format. To find more sound sources inside ArmA2: unPbo the addon missions.pbo

It contains all scenarios from the SP, MP and Campaign sections in ArmA2. Browse through the scripts that comes with these missions, and you should find a plethora of sounds that are being called from within the missions. It's hard and tedious work, but well worth the effort.

Please share your findings
;)
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2009, 13:05:46 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2009, 13:07:02 »
Yes it is. And I see no reason why it should not work. For A1 or A2.
Even BI uses the same method itself in configs:

class CfgSounds
{
access = 1;
class BIS_HALO_Flapping
{
sound[] =
{
"\ca\air2\halo\data\flapping.ogg",
};
titles[] = {};
};

becomes in description.ext

class CfgSounds
{
sounds[] = {"BIS_HALO_Flapping"};
class BIS_HALO_Flapping
{
name = "BIS_HALO_Flapping";
sound[] =
{
"\ca\air2\halo\data\flapping.ogg",
};
titles[] = {};
};
};

What is your code not working Wolfrug? Do you still have it available?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2009, 19:18:32 »
@kju

As mentioned, I don't know how it works in A2. Please, when you have a second, I would like you to attach a mission (for A1; if it works for A1 it'll work for A2. If it only works for A2, then post a mission for A2) with a description.ext where you define an internal sound to work with the above-mentioned method. Believe me I have tried. Just provide the proof and I'll be happy - you could for instance provide sound examples of various weapon sounds, vehicle sounds and maybe the .wss files with sound snippets such as "all, move to, that, tree".

Thank you :) I eagerly await the working demo mission so that I can figure out what I've been doing wrong!

Wolfrug out.