Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines 1.0 (Please Review)  (Read 15531 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines (0.90 BETA)
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jul 2009, 00:15:01 »
Just touching up some more stuff, I would say a couple of days  :D

EDIT: Mission updated to version 0.92
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2009, 19:46:27 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines (0.92 BETA)
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2009, 03:24:56 »
Downloaded and tried as single player. It still works as it should. About the lag issue: I also experienced severe lag after I completed half of the mission. But this isalso when I reach the heavily forrested regions in southern Chernarus, so I'm not sure it's connected to the mission or any of the modules. My low end computer can handle the northern part of Chernarus pretty well, but becomes laggy as hell (pun intended) in the southern parts.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2009, 06:22:11 »
Be careful what you wish for...you might get it!   :D

Gave it another whirl, and had to laugh at myself.  You fixed me good for complaining about lack of action!  Now I have a hard time making a hundred yards from the crash site!

Love the improvements though.  Here's my feedback.

1. In-game voices great.  Lamenting loss of sarge, dogs, etc., all very good for immersion and not over done.  Gotta love smartass and caveman!

2. In my previous test I never caught on that  the dogs were tracking us...I thought it was overuse of ambient dog barking LOL.   Now I get it (and you also have dialogue to that effect for retard players like me), and it definitely adds to the tension.   Felt damn good to finally silence one of those pesky mutts.

3. Love it that BIS provided an operational MG on the crashed chopper.   That is very cool.

4. If I waste time healing the pilot near the chopper, I will never make it more than a 100 meters from the chopper.  Too many infantry followed by technicals.

5. If I run right away, then we have a chance.  Heal the pilot later when we reach some trees to the SW or SE.  BIS AI very frustrating when you want to move fast.  They insist on covering each other and leap frogging, which is too slow when you are in a hurry.  I discovered that if you order each soldier to move to a position individually, they are much faster (probably bypasses leapfrog AI).  That ain't your fault, and this is a COOP mission.  With humans that cooperate, you have a much better chance.

6. Occasional chopper and APC are a challenge.  Best to avoid unless you can scavenge an RPG.  Many tense moments playing hide and seek (this is where BIS games shine!).

7. Stealing cars and driving fun.  Had a stranger join me for a coop and we had a beautiful 5 minute drive before running into a BMP.  Bailed and ran, but got cut down.

9.  So far, on multiple attempts, I've made it about 2/3rds of the way south.

10.  Periodically the enemy fights some other forces not too far from us.  Never actually seen them.   Are they friendly?

This is a good mission.  I just need more cooperative buddies.

Mild suggestions:

- Lighten up on enemy strength at first contact.   Too tough to get away from the crash site.  (At least for one or two humans and slow AI).

- Maybe script AI leader to give command to player leader ("I'm hit, you take over for awhile").   I had another player on leader leave the game, and then all the AI was stuck.  Once again that's not your mission's fault, but an issue with any coop mission with AI.

- Maybe run into friendly forces who will help us in some way? 

Is there an outro?  I wonder if I will ever survive long enough to find out... :)

BTW, I unPBOed your mission and the init.sqf looks very clean.  Looks like a good template for how to do a coop mission with an optional intro movie.  Plan on borrowing that!

Keep up the good work sir!
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2009, 18:00:32 »
No outro shown on mission completion. Meaning I made it back to base  :D

I tested it again to nail down the lag issue we discussed earlier. I now have two theories:

1) The lag is caused by the heavy vegetation in southern Chernarus. Hence it's nothing you can do, unless you move your mision to a different location. But please don't do that. For high end users this shouldn't be a problem and we lw enders will just have to wait for a patch to solve our problems.
 ;)

2) According to the Biki description, the ACM does not clean up after itself, until all units in the group it was synched with is killed. Since the mission involves some serious trekking over a vast geographical area, I suspect that the map will be loaded with randomized AI forces all along your path. This would also explain why you and I encountered some serious lag past halftime.

I checked the thread over at the official forum, and no one else has mentioned the lag issue. Hence I suspect it's a low end problem only and thus not much to worry about. My first impression is still valid after several sessions: This is very good mission. I think you should put it up for review A.S.A.P. Who knows, maybe you will be the first mission maker to have an ArmA2 mission reviewed at Ofpec.

EDIT: Spell check

EDIT: @Laggy you are recieving lots of questions about the mission over at the official forums. Since you are banned there you can't access them, I assume. I directed all the curious BETA-testers here instead, since you are still abe to use this forum  ;) Hope you don't mind.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2009, 21:40:13 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Foxtrot41

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2009, 21:28:36 »
Hi,

I downloaded this mission today and began playing it. Really enjoying it so far. I'm not a mission scripter or whatever so I can't give any feedback on those issues but as far as the mission goes when it comes to playing it, I'm loving it.  :D

I'm having a bit of bother with it though, sort of the opposite from some of the replies here, I'm finding that I encounter OPFOR every few minutes!!. I'm sort of "leapfroging" between woodland areas and lying low when I get there, then moving on to the next but almost always the enemy rips me to pieces at some point. I'm not that far away from the crash site and what I can't understand is the AI of the OPFOR. I can have all my guys proned in an area of trees in cover and tell them to hold fire then the enemy will pass by in either technicals, on foot or in a BMP and despite me not making a noise or moving, bullets start whacking into the vegetation around me even if the OPFOR are very far away. Is this supposed to happen?. I thought the whole idea was to be "stealthy" and take your time but if the enemy can hear you blink from a mile away then what's the point....lol..??!!. It should be pointed out that I am only playing this mission in [SP] mode with the AI controlling my squad, I haven't tried it in Co-op mode.

Aside from getting killed lots, I really like this mission, very well done indeed!!.  :good:

*EDIT* : Scratch the above, have went back and modified my route slightly and managed to complete the mission. This has to be one of THE most atmospheric missions I have ever played.  :clap:
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 11:32:28 by Foxtrot41 »

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:30:54 »
@ Foxtrot41

Thanks a lot for your very positive feedback, that made the mission worth making. I'll continue working on my next mission soon after touching up the last bits on this one, so there is more coming...

@ Nominesine

Apart from mission feedback, many thanks for directing BIS forum beta testers to this site since my "ban status" over there doesn't even allow me to read that forum. A bit overkill if you ask me.

@ Johhnyboy

EDIT 1:
10.  Periodically the enemy fights some other forces not too far from us.  Never actually seen them. Are they friendly?
This is the ACM module working. I have set the modules to only spawn enemies, but for some reason it is not a 100% proof. Don't know why this happens, but I don't really see it as a problem.

END EDIT 1.

Your additional feedback is very appreciated and I'll consider some final changes. There is still no serious outro but since the mission seems to be quite hard I should probably give the players a reward after mission completion. I'm on it. Regarding the "stress factor" at the crash site it is somewhat random and I think the mission needs a real panicky start, since the continuation can/will be more "hide and seek" style. The AI behaviour is frustrating yes, but I'd just consider them as rigid/stupid soldiers that brake down in the heat of battle. Also loosing some buddies adds to the immersion I think :D

Glad you liked the init.sqf (use it if you want) it also has a JIP friendly intro solution.

@ All of you

It is very late now and I have to get some sleep, but I'll return soon...

Thanks a lot for everything so far,

Laggy

EDIT 2: Mission updated to version 0.95 (hopefully final)
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2009, 16:11:20 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Bahger

• Members
I downloaded this mission on nomesine's advice and he was right; it's a good, clean, well thought-through scenario that is very enjoyable to play so far and will no doubt be of great help in teaching me the tricks of the trade in the Editor.

I like the military feel of the mission, as opposed to the over-scripted, over-dramatic spec-ops mission design in the A2 Campaign.  I like the pace and the sudden, authentic transitions from routine patrolling to a firefight.  As in most good sandbox games, the squad AI performs better when the mission conception and design is sound and in this respect you have surpassed the Campaign missions again.

I survived initial contact and, in the best moment so far, ordered the squad to attack two incoming vehicles, which they did with ruthless efficiency.  One remained operable so I mounted a wounded man as gunner and am moving south in bounding overwatch with Red Team on foot and White as the mounted team.  That .50 cal has been a great asset.  There is a friendly AAV a few miles away; not sure what this is doing behind enemy lines (SAR?) and there appears to be no way to contact it.  We don't have AT weapons so I'm not sure how to take on BMPs; I hope I can avoid them.

Very nice.

Why are you banned from the BIS forums, if you don't mind my asking?  Not trying to roil anything up, just curious.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Thanks a lot for the positive feedback Bahger.

The friendly AAV is an example of the ACM module working. I have it set to only spawn enemies, but for some reason this is not 100% proof yet. Not sure if this is something I can help or only BIS. This might be the only reason for a mission update, if something can be done about it.

Why are you banned from the BIS forums, if you don't mind my asking?  Not trying to roil anything up, just curious.

Well... ehhh... :-[

All I can say is that when my creative side takes over I sometimes lose my sense of judgement. I thought I had discovered something revolutionary in ArmAII, but some people unfortunately thought it was very offensive and against their forum rules. I see it is a big misunderstanding and there are no hard feelings from my end.

Laggy

EDIT: I believe this mission is finished. However, once the First Aid Module is "bug free" it will be included in the mission. Right now (in ArmAII version 1.02) the module is so full of bugs that the annoyances overcome the otherwise fantastic gameplay elements.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2009, 01:46:56 by laggy »

Offline Bahger

• Members
I believe this mission is finished. However, once the First Aid Module is "bug free" it will be included in the mission. Right now (in ArmAII version 1.02) the module is so full of bugs that the annoyances overcome the otherwise fantastic gameplay elements.

Ain't that the truth...

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
So what is it?

For MP most modules are unfortunately more or less completely dysfunctional,
either after respawn or JIP or cause a heavy performance impact on the server.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Well, me and nominesine have been playing the campaign together in MP lately and because of the First Aid Module bugs we had to restart this very long and quite hard mission (Razor Two) several times.

It happened so many times that we got tired of retrying and we where quite pissed (pardon my french), even though being BIS game veterans we are quite forgiving when it comes to bugs, simply because the gameplay and atmosphere is so phenomenal.

We finally decided to cheat our way out (by endmission) which made us miss the crescendo of that mission, as in capturing Bardak... What a bummer.

These are bug examples:

-Seriously wounded in a vehicle - No way to get out or get help, stuck in vehicle... restart necessary.
-When performing first aid - helping player got stuck in medic animation and wounded never healed... restart.
-After stuck medic player disconnected, JIPd and tried other group members they all got stuck... restart.

These are all we've encountered so far, but there might be more.
All these bugs unfortunately make the First Aid Module useless in ArmAII version 1.02.
Sad, because when it works it does a lot for the immersion.

EDIT: One possible bug related to the ACM module found in the mission. This is easily fixable and will be done in 0.96 version.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2009, 13:37:34 by laggy »

Offline Punisher5555

• Members
Easiest mission ever made!!!!

All you have to do is retreat to the woods, shoot a couple of baddies and then wait for the bus to come down the road! Pop a couple of rounds at him to make him stop. Then tell everyone to load up.

The bus driver drove me to my base. Nobody killed or hurt. Nice relaxing ride.

If he doesn't drive you all the way then you can take over and drive the rest.

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
Too funny.  Just take the bus!

El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Easiest mission ever made!!!!

All you have to do is retreat to the woods, shoot a couple of baddies and then wait for the bus to come down the road! Pop a couple of rounds at him to make him stop. Then tell everyone to load up.

The bus driver drove me to my base. Nobody killed or hurt. Nice relaxing ride.

If he doesn't drive you all the way then you can take over and drive the rest.

:D Haha!!!

Didn't think it was that easy to force a bus driver into submission.
Very lucky shot though, since that is very random.
Thanks for the heads up, might change that possibility.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 18:55:37 by laggy »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
We gave this another go last night. The latest version .95. Still we are having a hard time enjoying this mission. The walk seems to take for ever, and alot of the time we are finding basically walking straight south(down the middle just staying off the roads), we have met up with a maximum of 20 opposing forces and 2 dogs. Basically we can finish the mission each time we try it.  but often give up after walking for a half hour with not seeing any units.

I like the dogs, and the concept but its just not doing anything to want us to play it over and over.

One thing you might want to look at is the team switch dialog in MP. Wipers mission uses this and its a pretty cool option for group respawn.

Lastly the I hate the crow and there are a couple of spectating options out there now, you should really consider switching to one.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2009, 16:49:14 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks