Advertisement

Author Topic: Operation Black Dragon Beta Tester wanted.  (Read 255 times)

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: Operation Black Dragon Beta Tester wanted.
« Reply #15 on: 04 Apr 2017, 18:00:56 »
Oddly enough I have not had any problems with my own AI squad much, at least nothing that wouldn't be familiar from OFP. I do have the friendly AI skill set way higher than enemy in effort to try to muffle the AK sniping a tad so maybe that has something to do with it :dunno:
Enemy tanks are quite pointless though, in Force Majeure a BMP drives up and does absolutely nothing, not even when my AI guys fire all their LAWs (or whatever it is called) at it(missing it every time even though only 200m away, so it just sits there engine running. The AI only friendly squads rarely survive enemy contact for more than couple of minutes, etc..
One thing that really annoys me about the AI is that they fire their AT at infantry so usually have to carry AT myself to take out actual armored targets.

SBG, I think you're understating the AI changes considering the AI changelog for A3 is at 5 pages on BIF...
They have finally taught the AI to not use telephone poles and wire fences and such as cover (actually done within object models) which makes them look less daft, but they really should teach the AI to prioritize cover when getting fired at/making contact instead of kneeling/proning/standing on open area trying to find the target to shoot at. Would go a long way making the AI appear less dumb.
Obviously it is impossible to mak ethem act like humans but prioritizing cover would at least make them appear that they actually care about surviving the contact..

Anyhoo, back to topic, Force Majeur went without a hitch, although I got my ass handed to me a couple of times. Guerillas in the Mist went fine as well, liked the detail of the patrolling guard talking to the one(s) in the towers (amused me that the tower guards never even acknowledged the guy).
There was a couple of bugs in the outro cutscene though:
- when the Russian leader talks to the Spets Nats guys (or whom ever) in the first leader POV (behind right shoulder) the camera is inside the leader's head making only some parts of the head show up from inside out or something.
- In the end when the two US soldiers talk the first voice-over is not audible, only text appears on the screen.
Project MCAR   ---   FWW2 - Finland At War 1939-1945
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2017, 04:30:50 »
I've calmed down since typing that last crazy post. In the past, I have always compensated for the AI by placing them out of harms way to utilize the command view feature as a counterbalance to the games unfairness. Just as you h-, I pack my own AT usually and make some of the non AT members carry spare rockets for me. I'll approach the mission with more caution next time, leaving the squad away from the contact zone while taking a humvee for extra firepower for myself.

Sorry if I discouraged you Architect. I'll keep plugging away at it, albeit as time permits.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2017, 10:00:11 »
I have to say though that I can mirror SBG's annoyance over the friendly AI sometimes.

In Grosbeak Extinct I had to drop to regular difficulty in order to have the enemy AI skill dropped low enough to survive, same seems to be the case for the next one because it seems that forest somehow confuses the friendly AI as they don't seem to realize to fire at the targets they see, they just report them and do nothing until half of them are dead and one or two may wake up from the forest-transe :dunno:

Also, really starting to get annoyed by the completely useless "voice-on-selecting-page-on-notebook" stuff on the briefing, some of them are pretty unintelligible even..

EDIT:
:D :D damn the AI can be retarded at times:
Enemy soldier is firing at them from 50m away ->
- one hits the ground and turns facing away from the target
- Another kneels and aims at the target for half a second, the just runs off somewhere
- the rest run circles around trees
- none of the AI seems to even know about the target because they don't report a contact even though they get fired at, only after I reveal the target they start firing at it

Anyhoo, Half a Thousand ended before I could even reach Gulan, in debriefing the extract and hold Gulan objectives were both ticked green.

EDIT2:
Judge, Jury and Executioner went without a hitch, apart from a bug when I get close enough to the ammo dump: some elevator music starts playing (I'm assuming it's radio or something in the base?) and it continues playing 'in my head' right up to the end of the mission.
Could be Arma sound bug though because everything sounds like happening right next to you (like enemy soldiers getting hit always making me think some of my guys got hit).

Also gotta love how for example road cones count as civilian kills  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2017, 11:33:54 by h- »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2017, 19:19:30 »
Ok, first "game breaking"  bug (which worked in my favor though), in Knaves and Kings the mission ends in glorious success if you do the objectives in reverse order; thought I'd burn the night away doing something useful.

So instead of waiting for first light and the convoy I first went to investigate the grid, and was in middle of blowing stuff up when suddenly the mission ends right after my guys pepper some enemy soldier who was hiding somewhere. "Mission complete. Good Work" and only the 'investigate the grid' is ticked green..

So I never got to attack the convoy, and was in the middle of taking targets of opportunity when the mission ends.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2017, 19:58:12 by h- »