Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice [REVIEW COMPLETE]  (Read 21430 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice
« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2010, 19:05:13 »
Sorry for the long overdue replay but I tested 1.5 today and here are a few things of note.

It seems that all mission debriefs credit the player with a very low score(red X's) while all objectives are complete. I'm sure that is a result of your score tweaking.

Hide and Seek mission...The objective to investigate all suspect areas was clear enough and after doing so, there is no hint of where to go from there other than the hints to not leave the southern part of the forest. (perhaps you could add a seperate objective to return to the Eastern section of the forest when the first three areas are cleared?)

In the mission entitled "Deal" Also known as the Prison break, I am still having problems with the added pistol.
I can not interact with it at all. I have tried to reload it, place it on my back and even droppped and picked it up with no results. I ended up running to the hillside, lyingdown and hiding while the blackops took out the main force. I then made my way back up the hill and grabbed an AK47 but by then there was only one cop left to kill. (maybe you could give the weapon to the player at the mission start and just end the mission if he kills a cop before you want him to?)

Lamentin...The cinema of the towns activity just prior to the explosion kept printing text from the previous cinematic of the wolf and goodmayer meeting. I have a hunch that its because you have some civilians saying some of the sound files that are not heard but since you have the text attached to the sounds in the description.ext it prints the associated text with it.

I also encountered a showstopper after defeating the second wave. The mission would not end. All enemy units were dead, armor was destroyed completely and I drove the tank around every nook and cranny, flattening trees and bushes before getting out and running on foot to draw fire from any hiding enemy but nothing ever happened,after about 5 minutes of running around, I broke the mission area and failed it. I'll try again later on the same mission but I wanted to fill you in so far of my progress.

I'll also note again that the text is much improved but still fast in many areas.

EDIT: I replayed the Lamentin mission and all worked fine that go around. I have no idea what caused the mission to not end last time. The rest of the campaign played out well enough. There are still many areas where the grammar could use some major proofreading but since there is so much dialogue and cinema, I dont think anyone could fault you for having imperfect grammar.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2010, 21:07:39 by savedbygrace »

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2010, 20:09:36 »
It seems that all mission debriefs credit the player with a very low score(red X's) while all objectives are complete. I'm sure that is a result of your score tweaking.
To be frank, I'm out of ideas how to tweak further the scoring... So if this doesn't hinder the completion of the campaign, I'd rather not change that.

Hide and Seek mission...The objective to investigate all suspect areas was clear enough and after doing so, there is no hint of where to go from there other than the hints to not leave the southern part of the forest. (perhaps you could add a seperate objective to return to the Eastern section of the forest when the first three areas are cleared?)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, an arrow pointing to a rendezvous point appears as soon as all three areas are cleared (and both terrorist camps are eliminated). I think that should do the trick.

In the mission entitled "Deal" Also known as the Prison break, I am still having problems with the added pistol.
I can not interact with it at all. I have tried to reload it, place it on my back and even droppped and picked it up with no results. I ended up running to the hillside, lyingdown and hiding while the blackops took out the main force. I then made my way back up the hill and grabbed an AK47 but by then there was only one cop left to kill. (maybe you could give the weapon to the player at the mission start and just end the mission if he kills a cop before you want him to?)
I just can't understand how this is possible... The weapon works without problem on both computers I used to test the campaign. Actually, script-wise the situation is not in the least complicated - the player character receives some magazines and the Scorpion at the end of the conversation with the guard, then it should be ready to use... Have you pressed Space and tried to change the rate of fire before using the gun?

Lamentin...The cinema of the towns activity just prior to the explosion kept printing text from the previous cinematic of the wolf and goodmayer meeting. I have a hunch that its because you have some civilians saying some of the sound files that are not heard but since you have the text attached to the sounds in the description.ext it prints the associated text with it.
Now this is again a bug I can't understand. I haven't encountered with it so far, and I don't have any civilians copied over from the intro part of the mission... I guess it is caused by some corruption of the mission.sqs by the constant DePbo'ing and UnPbo'ing...

As for the texts, well, I don't think I'm able to make them displayed any better. It's been almost two years now that I seriously was into editing, and while I wasn't an expert even at that time, my knowledge just diminished since then. Anyway, I'll look into the rest of the bugs and will post an update as soon as I can.

Thank you for your help! :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2010, 14:44:38 »
My apologies,
I didn't mean to discourage you at all. I know you have put a lot of time and effort into this campaign and it does not go unnoticed one bit. In fact, all of the above with the exception of that lamentin mission failing to complete could be ignored really. I'll explain to you how I played it the first time when it would not end and you'll have an idea where I was at.

Actually, I did not go far from the compound. I jumped into the t55, pulled out and to the right next to another building in the yard adjacent to the compound and waited for the enemy tank to drive down the road. I took it out and then moved over slightly so that I had a view of the incoming BMP's between two buildings. I took out one, then inched to the edge of the building where there were several police cars(in the compound) and took out the other while it was stopped in the middle of town. I then drove out and picked off soldiers as they moved toward the police compound. All went silent but the chopper with the paratroopers never arrived.

Other than that, the campaign was bearable.
I do remember pressing every button I could think of out of frustration when that pistol did not function.

I had seen some civilians inside a building moving there lips while the summer in the city song was playing. At the same time, the last text from the previous mission was being printed. Probably associated with that lip file. (BUT it doesnt matter as it has no bearing on the mission)

There could have been an arrow appear in the hide and seek mission but I must have overlooked it since I wasn't expecting it.

The red X's are no big deal. Campaign completion is more than enough of a reward.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2010, 18:57:28 »
My apologies,
I didn't mean to discourage you at all. I know you have put a lot of time and effort into this campaign and it does not go unnoticed one bit. In fact, all of the above with the exception of that lamentin mission failing to complete could be ignored really. I'll explain to you how I played it the first time when it would not end and you'll have an idea where I was at.
There's absolutely no need to apologize, as beta testing is all about mentioning every issue. :D
I'm grateful for every minute you put into playing and re-playing the campaign... ;)

I'm just puzzled. You know it's a bit frustrating that whenever I make the necessary fixes and DePbo the campaign files, there are always new, previously unseen errors popping up. It's like a vicious circle. You solve the problems, but they're immediately replaced with new ones when you check the new version. :)

Actually, I did not go far from the compound. I jumped into the t55, pulled out and to the right next to another building in the yard adjacent to the compound and waited for the enemy tank to drive down the road. I took it out and then moved over slightly so that I had a view of the incoming BMP's between two buildings. I took out one, then inched to the edge of the building where there were several police cars(in the compound) and took out the other while it was stopped in the middle of town. I then drove out and picked off soldiers as they moved toward the police compound. All went silent but the chopper with the paratroopers never arrived.
I don't know what caused this. Maybe some of the enemy fled the mission area, even though I set allowfleeing 0. I'll take an extra look on this mission when I fire up the editor, and try to minimize the possibility of this along with the elimination of those lines popping up. Hide n' Seek will also receive additional treatment, and I'll try to come up with something for gun issue too.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your continuing help! ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:58:52 »
You could simply add a gun to the officer that gets killed during the scene for the player to take if he chooses. I found switching guns made it possible to interact with them.

A simple hint once all three camps are cleared would suffice for hide and seek. Something like..."Meet this team at these coordinates."

I understand your frustration. I've been working on mine for a year now. The more detail you put into something, the more people seem to become critical of it. I don't know why that is really...perhaps they see something that stands out from the rest and think that the author is looking to make it perfect. The truth is...we just want to put together a collection of the best that we have seen in other author's projects into one project but it tends to be overdone. Mine is a fine example.

Anyhow, your campaign is far from perfect and at times difficult to follow the dialogue but it is a great turn from the usual soviet vs US story and the characters are full of personality and wit. It is also fun to play.

I will say this though...there was one song that began paying during the Lamentin battle that mentioned something along the lines of a grandmother sucking her grandsons apendage and I couldn't help but freeze and say..."Did I just hear what I think I heard?" That was a bit tasteless.

Hopefully that mission will play through without problems and we can get it reviewed for you.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2010, 23:19:31 »
You could simply add a gun to the officer that gets killed during the scene for the player to take if he chooses. I found switching guns made it possible to interact with them.
Will do that, though as far as I remember he already has a pistol.

A simple hint once all three camps are cleared would suffice for hide and seek. Something like..."Meet this team at these coordinates."
Okay, I'll put it onto the to-do list. :)

I understand your frustration. I've been working on mine for a year now. The more detail you put into something, the more people seem to become critical of it. I don't know why that is really...perhaps they see something that stands out from the rest and think that the author is looking to make it perfect. The truth is...we just want to put together a collection of the best that we have seen in other author's projects into one project but it tends to be overdone. Mine is a fine example.
I think you slightly misunderstand me. There is absolutely no problem if the betatesters (who sacrifice their precious time by playing my campaign to make it better) voice critical opinion - after all, this is what betatesting is for. :D

The frustrating part of the editing process comes from the bugs themselves. To be more precise, the new bugs I had to deal with after every bugreport and depbo'ing, and which many times simply did not exist beforehand, but surfaced with the new version of the campaign. Just let me give you an example... A couple of months ago you reported a showstopper that popped up at the final mission: the game just CTD's with seemingly no apparent reason. Upon looking into the problem, I realized that an .ogg file (which worked perfectly before) just got corrupted somehow. With the previous versions of the campaign, I had no such problems. After you reported it, I checked the mission on my compy too, and the problem of course appeared here as well. Thankfully, it was easy to fix.

I will say this though...there was one song that began paying during the Lamentin battle that mentioned something along the lines of a grandmother sucking her grandsons apendage and I couldn't help but freeze and say..."Did I just hear what I think I heard?" That was a bit tasteless.
I guess that's the D12 rap song. I apologize for that. In my defense, understanding lyrics was never my forte so I didn't know that the song had such violently explicit content. As far as I know I have the instrumental version of the song too - I can easily change the soundtrack to that if needed.

I'll keep you posted on my progress! :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 28 Feb 2010, 07:45:51 »
Maybe you should not depbo your project.
Just pbo it and keep the original in your user missions folder for future fixes. Once you make the fixes just delete the old pbo that was sent to the mission folder and export another.
Just a thought.

The song is okay....I ended up lowering the music volume anyhow since I don't care for music when there is any chance of enemy engagement.

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:04:08 »
@ johnbart
i have played this campaign last year, very good,thanks for making this,
Be happy.
ofp die-hard fan for whole life

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2010, 00:56:36 »
How are you doing on this project John? Need any help?

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #39 on: 19 Aug 2010, 14:01:01 »
Hey,

Sorry for being inactive in the last couple of months. I'm through a graduation and finding a job, so I simply did not have the time to polish the campaign. Rest assured, I'm far from abandoning the project - I just need a couple of free weekends in my schedule to make the final touches. :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2010, 04:44:24 »
Okay, great to hear. I'd hate to see this one drift away.

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2010, 23:05:35 »
I've completed a couple of the missions and only have two real suggestions (well, three: I didn't quite understand the Jackal's scene - some tiny base being attacked?!).

OK, getting over the disappointment that this has nothing to do with Miami Vice ...

1. Named speakers
   It would aid comprehension if each line of text was preceded by the speakers name. I think it would also aid recalling which character is which.

2. Non-civilian enemies
   At the moment, missions usually end with a negative score since many enemies are civilians. You could try to balance this out by using the addRating command.

Alternatively, consider using more addons:
      an editor update such as Mikero's allows you to place more objects and units (eg. two civilian militia on the Resistance side).
      STT Resistance Civilians are more units in new outfits available both as Resistance and Civilians, including a couple of women.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2010, 16:19:04 »
Thanks for your ideas Kurtz! :)

I've completed a couple of the missions and only have two real suggestions (well, three: I didn't quite understand the Jackal's scene - some tiny base being attacked?!).
Besides being a manifestation of the campaign's aimless absurd humor, that cutscene should make no sense whatsoever... :D

OK, getting over the disappointment that this has nothing to do with Miami Vice ...
You were pretty close, actually. The title is intended to be a pun of the series name... :)

1. Named speakers
   It would aid comprehension if each line of text was preceded by the speakers name. I think it would also aid recalling which character is which.
It makes sense to update the dialogs this way, but frankly, this would require a lot of work to go through the texts, find the dialogs, then modify them... Again. This would require a lot of time, and frankly, I think that the early cutscenes, the briefings and the radio chatters should be sufficient to familiarize the players with the characters if they pay attention.

2. Non-civilian enemies
   At the moment, missions usually end with a negative score since many enemies are civilians. You could try to balance this out by using the addRating command.
As far as I remember I already tried that (setting the player's rating to 10000), but it didn't work out. An early version of the campaign included the STT Resistance Civilians addon, but during the first revision of the campaign, I decided to remove them to minimize the number of required addons.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #43 on: 09 Nov 2010, 18:34:28 »
Sorry for the long silence. :)
I just wanted to inform everyone that the fixes are well underway, and hopefully I can post the link for the newest version early next week. There's a lot on my plate nowadays so I am even slower than I usually am when edit missions, still, there were a couple of tweaks and additions added to the campaign that felt needed to enhance the overall experience - I'm currently doing the final playtest to check whether they work out nicely, cause any unforeseen bugs, and of course to see whether that pesky "Missing BIS_WeaponPack addon" error has gone away finally. The changelog will be of course edited into the first post as soon as the new build is online.

Thank you for your patience, and again, thanks for all the support! :)

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #44 on: 12 Nov 2010, 01:53:18 »
I have managed to finish the current version of this campaign. I became more involved in the storyline after my last post and, as far as I can remember, these are the only things I'd consider to be issues, and mostly minor at that:

Peugot Boxer
 - this would seem to have a problem in its fire-geometry LOD so that in game it appears to have an invisible forcefield which catches bullets as you try to shoot round it. More annoying when it catches RPGs.

Inconsistent approach to profanity
 - in later missions the F-word is bleeped in audio and replaced by asterixes, but not in the Prison Break mission.

What Mission Plan Update?
 - in the Forest Sweep mission hints appear to say that the "mission plan [is] updated", but actually only the map itself is updated with a new marker.

High Noon briefing
 - I didn't understand the Notes section regarding terrorists fighting Hades' gang. Were they scared or possibly on the same side?

Regarding "Missing BIS_WeaponPack" (which applies to "HuntingRifle", "Revolver", "Ingram", "GlockS"), the two most common causes are:

1. Weapon is in the Weapon Loadout but not in the mission
   The player chooses to take a weapon into the mission, but it's not in the addon list in mission.sqm. Error appears immediately on starting the mission.
   Solution: Place an ammo crate (Resistance side, Resistance weapons) somewhere out of the way or use addWeapon to give someone else one of these weapon types.

2. Poorly configured addon
   A unit from one of the addons uses a weapon listed above, but the config for that addon doesn't include "BIS_WeaponPack" as one of its AddonsRequired. The error appears when the player picks up one of the weapons from a dead unit.
   Solution: as above.