Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice [REVIEW COMPLETE]  (Read 21428 times)

Offline JohnBart

• Members
Name: Everon Vice
Author: JohnBart and Vorty
Version: v1.8

Current version: HERE

Type: Campaign
Number of missions: 16
Player side: West and East
Island: Nogova and Everon
Time of Day: Mixed
Weather: Mixed
Filesize: ~100 MB

Mission requirements:
Game: Operation Flashpoint v1.96 + Resistance

Addons: The required addons are the following:

Airwolf's Mi-2 Nogova Police
Deadmeat's Nogova Police
MohAx GAZ24
Intruder's Police Cessna and Sports Car
Lester's Invisible Targets
KKB's Animated Gate
Lordrenock's Black Humvee
Martin's BellJet
Police & FBI Pack
Kegety's Trabant Taxi
AKM74's ZU-23 Static AA

A complete package of the addons above is located here.

Summary:
Being a parody of various Hollywood action movies, Everon Vice follows the adventures of a veteran Hungarian colonel as he visits the tourist paradise of Everon during his holiday but quickly finds himself in the middle of an intricate plot, involving a local separatist organization and the most dangerous terrorist group of the Operation Flashpoint universe. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Hotfixed version uploaded, mission 11 should now also be English.

EDIT #2: Mission 6 has gone under severe modifications:
a.) Minor typos fixed
b.) New objectives and markers have been added to help navigation in Veteran mode.
c.) GPS enabled in the map
d.) Unnecessary player waypoints have been removed, the remaining ones fully overlap the map markers related to the player's route.

EDIT #3:

New version (v1.5) is up. The major changes include the following:

-Crash to desktop in Mission 14 has been eliminated.
-The funny "Missing BIS_Weaponpack addon" error should not appear anymore.
-English subtitles have been rewritten completely.
-Longer subtitles are now divided to several parts to make reading more comfortable.
-Every mission now has the GPS available in Veteran difficulty.
-The suspected camp locations in Mission Six now appear after each other, only when you managed to check out the previous one.
-In Mission Six, the helicopter of the escapees now also leaves when your squad members are in its vicinity.
-Hungarian marker, waypoint and hint text in Mission 11 has been translated to English.
-Sniper killzones in Mission 15 are now farther from the buildings to give more liberty for the players in approaching the main street.
-End credits now thanks every help I received here. ;)

EDIT #4:

Version 1.6 is up now! The major changes include the following:

Global changes:
a.) Score tweaking to get rid of the red X marks on the debriefing screen (they are still there at 02 and 08, though).
b.) Proofreading done again on all the messages and dialogs of the campaign. Hopefully conversations are easier to understand now.
c.) Added border to pictures.
d.) Slight normalization of speech audio.

Mission specific changes/updates:

03: Airmail
a.) Minor fix on some mission area border triggers.
b.) Final objective altered: both turrets must be destroyed now.

05: Shopping
a.) Fixed the chopper trigger: The helicopter shouldn't appear anymore if the player kills only the truck driver of the first wave of reinforcements.

06: Hide-and-seek
a.) Hints on coordinates added to the mission's major cornerstones.
b.) Slightly changed some messages and the timing of the marker's appearance on the map to make mission progress more straightforward.
c.) An additional temporary mission border has been added to the northern section of the forest to prevent players skipping a mission-critical cutscene and thus the completion of a mission objective.  

07: Deal
Problem with the gun. After hours of experimenting and doing some research on OFPEC and the BI Wiki, I came to the conclusion that if a weapon is added on-the-fly in OFP, it must always be toggled with the "Toggle Weapon" button to be able to use it (Space and RCTRL by default here). It always worked for me, however it wasn't clear for me whether you (I mean SavedbyGrace :)) tried to "toggle" the gun, so I decided to make some small changes in this field as well.
a.) Story device: Jammed Beretta. After shooting the guard, the gun gets jammed, so you have to reload it. New hints and newly recorded dialogs should make clear what the player should do after the cutscene.
b.) Some guards (like the one the player's supposed to talk to) now carry FN-FAL rifles.
c.) Music normalized, it shouldn't be so loud now.
d.) The outro is much shorter now - the players shouldn't wait until everyone gets in the chopper, it takes off and flies away.

09: Full Metal Jacket:
a.) Some additional objects and two more allies were added to give cover for the player and his squad
b.) Briefing modified slightly in accordance to a.)
c.) Removed most of the grenades from enemy troops to minimize the chance of eliminating the whole squad of the player with a well-thrown grenade at the very beginning of the mission.
d.) Reworked truck disembarkment. Allies now leave automatically and join the player only when all of them left the vehicle.

10: Ambush
a.) The chopper should be slightly more dangerous now.

11: Lamentin
a.) Combat music replaced with instrumental version due to explicit language.
b.) False subtitles removed from mission cinematic.

13: The Heist
a.) Added some dead civilians to the town battlefield to reinforce the Jackal's cruelty.
b.) Tweaks on the mission outro: the rag-tag allies should exit the Praga truck much faster now.

15: High Noon
a.) The chopper should be slightly more dangerous now.

EDIT #5

Version 1.7 can be downloaded from the appropriate link. Major changes include:

General changes:

-Removed Mehanic's VAZ 2101 and Peugeot Boxer from the campaign. Former is replaced by vanilla BIS Skoda, the latter by BRDMs. A couple of mission selector images and strings have been modified accordingly.

Mission changes:

a.) 09: Full Metal Jacket
-Increased end trigger radius to remedy a reportedly rare showstopper (reported by OFP_F3d3).

b.) 12: Regina
- Allied tanks should not stop before the village anymore, and should attempt to neutralize enemy armor by flanking them.
- Added a derelict repair station to Regina along with a slightly damaged T55 to give the player a chance to participate in the fight against enemy armor.

c.) 13: The Heist

- Increased zoom on destroyed black Volga in the mission intro to minimize the chance of seeing how the fake convoy vehicles are teleported to town.

d.) 14: Intermezzo and 15: High Noon

- The fade-out at the end of the cutscenes should be faster now.
EDIT #6:

Version 1.8 is up now! The change includes the following:
e.) Last-minute fix by Savedbygrace:

-The pesky "No entry..." error after completing the campaign is now eliminated. Thanks for the help!

Thanks again for the continuing help! Enjoy! ;)
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 22:52:22 by savedbygrace »

Offline firegraphite

• Members
Re: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice - Please Review
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2009, 19:20:36 »
Unbelievable!!! Yeah, I played this campaign a couple of years ago.. This is so cool!! But I can't believe this got posted here just only now. A really great set of missions and it follows like a movie parody of sorts. Very challenging and yet I couldn't help laugh every step of the way. I especially like the part where a cop was shot and karoly and the shopkeeper guy got into a shootout with some rebels. Also when they tried to assassinate karoly and you gotta hold off a bunch of enemies including a chopper. And the ending was superb. Although I'd just not spoil that just yet.. LoL.  :D

There was one thing I noticed that didn't seem to sit right though, that part where wolf(?) and karoly's nemesis were talking, the language changed. Also in the part where they interrogated a captured rebel and pointed a tank cannon to make him talk. I was playing with english version but the language suddenly changed.. i couldn't make it out, maybe polish or czech or something. But I'm pretty sure if it was played in its original language its pretty much bug-free.  :good:

Other than the language, everything rocks! Cool. Very cool campaign.  :clap:

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2009, 21:10:21 »
Firegraphite, thank you for the kind words and thank you especially for the bug report. I'm puzzled why the reviewers at Levels4You did not warn me about this serious issue back then. I just did the translation of the briefing and description.ext files of mission 11 now (it was in Hungarian, by the way), pbo'd the campaign file again and uploaded the whole hotfixed package to the FTP again. It should be OK now. The link of course have been updated in the first post. :)

As far as I remember, the reason why I did not upload the campaign to OFPEC back then was that the server collapsed under the portal right at that time... Later, I simply forgot about it. Today I was digging through my hard drive, and thought why not to give it a shot, especially because OFPEC is very much alive and kickin'. :)

Offline firegraphite

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jun 2009, 04:13:25 »
Well, what can I say? I'm a big fan.. Oh and also I forgot to mention the music videos.. LoL. Absolutely priceless.  And yeah, you you're right. Ofpec was down during that time. I was wondering what happened to Barton and Barton Corporation.. 

Anyways at the moment it seems everyone here's busy with ArmA 2.. But I do hope a reviewer checks this campaign soon. Once again, Great Work!

Cheers!  :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jun 2009, 04:15:50 »
Hey John,
Thanks for bringing your project to our site, it's always great to have more mission authors lingering around our pages. Regarding the review process? I am not debating your flawless campaign but it is simply, a policy, that we test each and every mission before actually reviewing it to ensure for ourselves that we release a working(not necessarily flawless) completable mission to the members and guests who frequent our site. SO I hope we don't offend you but we'll give it a few test runs by the beta testers around here to try and iron out the quirks that may exist such as the language problem mentioned b firegraphite. I have to ask...since this is an old mission, do you plan on correcting any showstoppers that may arise?(Not that any would be found, but better safe than sorry) I'm going to remove the review please until we have had a few test of it, so please don't get offended.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2009, 13:17:07 »
Hey savedbygrace,

No, of course you won't offend me. :)
I read through the submission policy, so it is perfectly OK to follow the testing protocols and go through it as a beta. :)

In the meantime, I'm going to betatest some ARMA missions, as the guidelines recommended (I don't have OFP installed at the moment, this is why I don't test OFP missions :)) just to thank the assistance of the community. :)

Err... I haven't encountered the word so far, but is showstopper the kind of error that makes a mission/campaign unstoppable?

#EDIT: No need to quote the entire previous post you're replying to..   h-
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2009, 16:36:51 by h- »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
Re: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2009, 19:28:29 »
Showstopper = anything preventing mission from being completed

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2009, 05:17:52 »
Hello JohnBart,
It's a really nice campaign, as I told you in the e-mail. :) Only one thing that bothers me, is the mission where you had to clear the forest as the police forces. You were assigned to follow your waypoints, but what about if the player plays in Veteran mode? He won't be able to see the waypoints then, and this is what happened to me too... The mission kept failing for me because I blindly went to wrong directions.
I'm sure that some older OFP veterans might prefer to play in Veteran mode, so I was thinking if there's an alternative solution to that. Perhaps it's possible to force the waypoints being displayed despite the difficulty setting? Or you could give player the coordinates of the waypoints so he can navigate using the map...

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2009, 11:27:52 »
I started this one and encountered that very problem. There is no gps in that mission so there is no way for the player to know his coordinates. I cleared the two camps on one side and then the mission failed as I was trying t get to the other side. Tried again and this time I attempted to follow the green dot path as best as I could, I tried approaching from several directions but continually got that follow your waypoint hint.

Concerning the 2 missions before this one and loads of cinema?
The missions were good, challenging and yet not impossible. Although I did not understand a word being heard, I could read along just fine with the exception of a few that would disappear before I was finished reading them. The cinema is brimming with comic relief. I received the waypoint hint in the very first mission as well when I attempted to flank the approaching response parties toward the West.

MIssion 2 was okay but with the objective to keep Hades alive seemed unnecessary as I think he was captive the whole time. He would run around like a mad man and shoot the enemy while I was forced to take cover and wait for them to round corners or peek out where I could pick em off. I found that if I stayed in the open, there were just too many to cover every direction.

I'm also not sure if it's something that you have done but I have attempted several times to pick up a PKM but to no avail. It never even appears in my action menu as an option.

Anyways, Despite it all, Mission 3 contains the only real problem in regards to the waypoints.

I noticed a lot of English text grammar and spelling errors as well but I won't evevn go there.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2009, 12:44:01 »
I started this one and encountered that very problem. There is no gps in that mission so there is no way for the player to know his coordinates. I cleared the two camps on one side and then the mission failed as I was trying t get to the other side. Tried again and this time I attempted to follow the green dot path as best as I could, I tried approaching from several directions but continually got that follow your waypoint hint.
OK, I guess that I have to update the briefing.html with the coordinates of the major events too... :)
The missing GPS is strange, though. I am pretty sure that I did not disable it. I will have to take a closer look at it. :)

MIssion 2 was okay but with the objective to keep Hades alive seemed unnecessary as I think he was captive the whole time.
Wherever the player has to fight alongside with story characters, I included a passage like that in the briefing to make those characters recognized and remind the player of them. Clearly, it has no practical use as those characters die only if the player kills them (I even removed the handgrenades of the enemies to prevent the sudden death of these characters as much as I can), but storywise I thought it would be a required addition, as the player would know in this way which story characters he would encounter in the given mission.

I'm also not sure if it's something that you have done but I have attempted several times to pick up a PKM but to no avail. It never even appears in my action menu as an option.
I was actually surprised on this back then, and thought that it was hardcoded in the game that civilians cannot pick up heavier weapons: machineguns, rocket launchers, etc. Therefore, I did not deal with it afterwards.

I noticed a lot of English text grammar and spelling errors as well but I won't evevn go there.
The majority of work on the campaign took place 3-4 years ago. Clearly, my English was not the best at that time. I will of course give a thorough proofreading of the text.

Thank you for all the constructive criticism, and thank you for recommending the beta rounds - clearly, it seems that more people plays in Veteran than I thought, which creates challanges for the campaign, as it is strongly waypoint-based. I am going to address all the issues you and Relikki have mentioned and will also go through all the missions to check whether there are any missions left that are impossible to accomplish without waypoints. :) I will update the first post accordingly. :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jun 2009, 22:32:57 »
Hmm, I never realized that civy's couldn't use heavy weapons... :dunno: All this time and still continually learning  :D

The setcaptive is a great idea for the other civy's then, When I first seen that I had to ensure he stayed alive, it caused me to instantly dred the mission because AI just naturally ruin your intentions and plans. But keeping it safe and story related is a good idea.

The english errors were no big deal really. It was the timing of the text that began to get frustrating(not alot of it, just some of it) as it would disappear before I was through reading it and I would miss some comical saying or something that was important.

I have to also say that the guys singing to the music is comical as well, only because the voices and language sound very funny to me.

So far, it's very obvious that you sunk tons of hours into cinema alone and I know as well as anyone who loves to create cinematics that they take just as long and are just as complex as building a mission itself. So, kudos for all the hard work so far.

I'm looking forward to playing the rest of this campaign as it is not at all boring or anticipated as some are.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2009, 01:30:55 »
Thank you, savedbygrace! :)

Finally, I had a little time to take a closer look at the mission in question... (this pesky exam session takes away all my time that I could otherwise spend on studying the ArmA editor... :))

Now, I don't know how could I missed that, but I realized that a set of cutscene triggers (which would otherwise be activated by the player) has been placed OUT OF the mission area for some reason...  ??? :whistle:

Besides fixing that obvious showstopper, I also removed most of the player waypoints, made some new markers and mission objectives (popping up dynamically through the course of the mission), updated the briefing according to these changes and added the GPS. :)

I went through the mission after this thrice (once in Cadet, twice in Veteran). I hope these changes will help them' OFP-veterans completing the mission. ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2009, 09:09:21 »
I attempted this one again and was able to get through mission 6 but those follow your waypoint hints are still there, although they are not failing the mission for straying off course, atleast not that I could see. I was able to clear the two south camps, meet the guys in the north respond to the two masacre meeting points, clear the northwest part and tried to take down the chopper with my finfal but it got away. It showed that I beat the mission but rather than continue on to the next mission, it returned to the main menu. Did you forget to do something?

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:10:33 »
I'll be damned...   :blink:

Just loaded up the campaign, jumped to the mission and completed it. It transferred to the next mission flawlessly. I checked the campaign description.ext, it seems to be OK (it is basically very simple because of the campaign's linearity, all six endings lead to the next mission, while dying or Losing repeats the current mission).

I guess it must be the final objective that causes the problem (and which is supposed to be "failed" by the player), though I don't understand why did it work for me and not for you... Anyway, I'll see what happens if I rephrase Obj 6 and set it to "completed" rather than failed.

EDIT: OK, new archive is up on the FTP. Filename is the same. Objective 6 is modified, minimum+average+maximum number of points in description.ext have been significantly increased - who knows, maybe that causes the problem; after all, even though the policemen are set to be WEST and Resistance is friendly to nobody, the DMX Police Units were originally defined as Civilian... So maybe the program reduces the player's points upon shooting a separatist.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2009, 12:43:32 by JohnBart »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2009, 11:26:51 »
Hmm, I'll see about continuing on through this one again this weekend.

EDIT: Hey John, How about seperating your addons from your mission so that folks don't have to continue downloading the whole thing to play each version? Also, If you intend for this to reach the review stage, you'll have to list each addon seperately on your first post at the least. If you have a link to a download for each, that would be great(we could help you find them if not) but this way folks can see what version addons are used and not download those that they have already.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2009, 16:10:14 by savedbygrace »