Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Creating good shorelines...  (Read 2510 times)

Offline zonker3210

• Members
Creating good shorelines...
« on: 13 May 2009, 04:06:20 »
Whenever I create an island, the shorelines tend to be non-existent. Instead, the edges of the island are simply cliffs that drop to sea level. Any suggestions for creating smoother transitions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
Re: Creating good shorelines...
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2009, 14:24:55 »
One of my greatest wants ..... haven't yet found a tool that will nicely clean up around the Zero meter mark to create proper shores.
I've considered making a program to filter and modify an XYZ file, but its not as simple as I first though, because it would end up making ALL shores the same .... hence you would loose cliffs etc that were meant to stay.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2009, 19:12:36 »
Easiest way would be to lower the whole landscape by x amount, x being your estimated reasonable height instead of cliffs.

Planck
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 11:06:51 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline zonker3210

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2009, 05:53:34 »
Gnat...yeah, it seems like something that everyone would be really interested in. I'm surprised there aren't more people posting about the issue. I was really starting to think that I was missing something basic.

Planck...interesting idea. Would I do that in Wilbur or in Visitor? I've tried using Wilbur's "Filter >> Height Clip..." function but it seems to just set a max & a minimum. I'd really like to cut the bottom out of the terrain so that I don't lose the hills & valleys.

Thank you both!