Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: HELP! A noob question...  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Spirit986

• Members
HELP! A noob question...
« on: 09 Apr 2009, 19:48:26 »
Ok... i was holding myself 2 days of not posting such a question, i was searching and searching the forums... this and the forum at armaholic.com but with no luck and i must admit... I am begun to get a little demotivated already  :dunno: ... so please I only hope of your understanding (to all of you advanced ArmA scripters and mission builders..) because this may seem like an everyday editing to you but for me is close to rocket science  :dunno: considering that i begun with editing 3 days ago, and i have done one editing tutorial for beginers..

Here's my situation:
I have a helipad with a UH-60 on it and an infantry squad. All i want to do is to board the squad on the UH-60, fly to a location and drop the squad there. I am setting my waypoints correctly and i synchronize them correctly (that is the "GetIn" waypoint with the "Load" waypoint and then the "Get Out" waypoint  with the "Transport Unload" waypoint.) And it works fine but THE PROBLEM WHICH IS ANNOYING ME is that the UH-60 starts its engine and takes off, floats there until i came with my squad at the "Get In" waypoint and than lands again, waiting for me to get in.

So is there a way to make the chooper to wait at the helipad until all of my soldiers get in and then to take off?
I personally think that it is very stupid to look at the chopper how takes of and floats there until u get to the "Get In" waypoint...  :dry: :dry:
Please help me i was trying with triggers but with no luck.. i know that i am making a mistake somewhere.. so please tell me how can i do that????

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: HELP! A noob question...
« Reply #1 on: 09 Apr 2009, 21:46:14 »
Hi Spirit986,

No worries about that question, I have done hundreds of missions and I still don't have a perfect solution to this problem without using scripting, which you probably don't want to dive into just yet  ;)

Setting the fuel to 0 makes the pilot jump out and run away  :weeping:

One suggestion is to have the UH60 without any waypoints from the start.
Name the chopper helo1 (could be any name)
Then you create another unit (i.e soldier).
Give THAT unit the waypoints for the UH60 and write in its init line: helogroup = group this; deleteVehicle this
This will create a unit and a group and then delete the unit.
The purpose of this is to create an "empty" group that the chopper can join and then use its waypoints.

Then you place a trigger with any kind of condition. Could be: player in helo1
On trigger activation: [helo1] join helogroup

The chopper should now join the helogroup and take off  :yes:

Good luck and welcome to the addictive world of editing  :cool2:

Laggy

« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2009, 21:50:53 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
« Reply #2 on: 09 Apr 2009, 22:12:14 »
Spirit986, please try to use meaningful topic names in the future.
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 09 Apr 2009, 22:17:32 »
Check out the flyInHeight command - setting it to 1 should keep it on the ground until you're ready for it to take off.  That's how I keep my choppers on the ground :)

Offline Spirit986

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2009, 08:19:12 »
Way to go man !!  :D :D :good: :good:

I even maded another triger on radio alpha with activation: helo1 engineOn true; so that when the player is ready for going to tell the chopper to start the engine, and now the chopper will be waiting with its engine on..
AWESOME !!  :good: :D :clap:
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2009, 11:04:07 by Spirit986 »