Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Real Time Camera Editor (Update: Last Post)  (Read 1489 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Real Time Camera Editor (Update: Last Post)
« on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:33:19 »
Hi, this is an idea following the real time editor. If I knew how to do this I would do it in a heart beat, I mean knowledge and applying and all.

Idea:
Create a real time camera script. How this is different from the [] exec "camera.sqs" that bohemia created.

Well it will allow the player to view in-game real 3D just like the RTE. But, the RTCS allows you to record your camera movement live.

Example:

Imagine being in the RTE, but it's the RTCE instead. You move your mouse along anyway you want, say you want to move it from the tank to the building however fast or slow you want. But it records your complete movement for you, so all you really have to do is make the movement in the RTCE. It creates the sqs file for you or somehow you have to create it and allow the RTCE record every angel you want in real time 3D action.

--------
Further
--------

Would anybody want to go in on this idea? I wouldlnt' be able to help because my knowledge on scripting is slim and how everything works. 

Benefits would be it would save you lots of time of typing out your sqs file for scripting and it records everything for you.

There are tons of little detials to work out, but I think it would be very possible with ArmA if anybody or a team of people would be willing to do this, like Loki, Spooner whoever else..

What do ya think?
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2009, 22:54:44 by NightJay0044 »
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: Real Time Camera Editor (idea: RTCE)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:43:41 »
Why not suggest to i0n0s. Maybe its interesting for him and not to hard to add to RTE.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:16:52 »
Hoz made a Free Moving Cam Example script a ways back, which seems to emulate camera.sqs to a degree - I can't imagine it'd be -too- hard to save vectors, velocities, positions etc - translating that into camera commands is, I suppose, the hard part. However if you set up some clever system - say you press a "record" button, move your camera from point A to point B, then press the "stop recording" button, and you've got two positions, the changes in direction/vector, and the time it took to navigate between the two positions. This could fairly easily be translated into camCommit seconds and so on.

:scratch: Interesting idea.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2009, 15:04:50 »
Yeah I think it's very possible.  You could hit record or something more ideas the better. It should have it's own console so you can easily navigate just like the RTE.

The one by HOZ is cool but I'm talking a lot more in-depth. Where you really don't have to do much work at all scripting wize. IT'll record you angels, your rotations, your zooms, flashes, white ins, white outs, anything, anything you can think of in camara scripting...

You can make an effective proffessional cutscene from start to finish. Yeah I'll contact the top scripters and people who worked on the RTE...See if we can get this thing going..

:)...In the end it would be totally worth it...But obviously if you still want  you can use regular camera scripting, just don't use the Real Time Camera Editor.

But once you hit the record button the action is on, everything you do with your keyboard and mouse is recorded onto and .sqs file or .sqf if that's where camera scripting can go. So virtually no editing...Great idea.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2009, 15:06:32 by NightJay0044 »

Offline Vigilante

• Members
    • Vigilante Virtual Systems & Dynamics
« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2009, 13:04:03 »
if you want to keep/use the cameramovement data, you surely will need to use ArmAlib to write to database or clipboard, otherwise you just need to create a list/array of position,direction and movement vectors correlated with a certain timeframe, like each second a scriptloop checks vectorDir/up,velocity,position of your camera and writes down those to the file via ArmAlib commands or if its just for temporary to an (global)array ...

such a script could be used for/with the BIS camera, or others (so you dont need to care for more scripting)... just checking the vectors of the cameraobject being used...

then using this data, you need a script knowing the used format of your array/datafile and the name of the array and/or the script loads it from the external datafile into that (global)array so you can use it everywhere...

thats a nice project for learning how to script inside ArmA... (seriously... its not a too complex problem and a good project in general)

EDIT:
here is also something related to that problem.. its very nice discussion on how to create/add to/maintain arrays the proper way...
http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=33160.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2009, 13:11:01 by Vigilante »
a.k.a. PhilippRauch

check out my Addon Wiki http://www.vigilante-systems.webs.com (WIP and outdated :P)
http://www.youtube.com/user/vigilante-systems

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:10:56 »
Thanks  Vigilante as that information would be useful to scripters, I'm not a scripter so if you told me to make something for the project I would say um, "what/how?", (humorously saying). 

But I would like to be the project leader or something of this if it does get under way, since it was my idea..But it wasn't that hard to think of..I'm not going to say it's mine, it's for the commuinity I would just like to be apart of it in some big way.. :)

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:34:45 »
I've got one mostly built. but I wasn't easily able to format the camera commands so it look pretty and I gave up. I wanted to avoid the external dll's and all that and in its current form is not as simple as I would like it to be. I put on the back burner for now, hoping some one could tell me how to cut&paste from structured  text box. It needs a bit of polishing but maybe I could resurrect it.
Xbox Rocks

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2009, 06:20:09 »
Hi Hoz, sounds like it, but does it incorporate my idea that I was thinking? (not trying to be selfish)...did you want to help with the project? I was told that Ions or whichever his name is, that he would be able to do it easily...

What you think?

---update march 29th 2009-----
I'm currently in discussion mode with i0n0s with the RTCE System. We are in the process of working out the nuts and bolts of the whole thing.... :D.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2009, 22:54:10 by NightJay0044 »