Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Including custom model/animation with mission  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Trexian

• Members
Including custom model/animation with mission
« on: 17 Mar 2009, 01:13:01 »
Ok, I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm going to start here.  :cool2:

I'm working on a mission that will be heavily scripted (see Operation Random Fury thread in the SP betatesting forum).  A friend of mine worked up a little particle generator thing that will add to the ambiance in certain situations.  It consists of a subfolder with the config and p3d and then additional subfolders for the data (skin/animation), and scripts.  When I drop the subfolder into the mission folder, it can't find anything.

BUT, if he pbo's it, and I put it in my addons folder, everything works a charm.

Is there any way to include the custom "things" in a mission, but not require an additional addon?  I mean, it isn't very big, so it would be nothing to include it and have people "install" it.  But, I'd prefer not to.

Any ideas? :)
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Including custom model/animation with mission
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:51:41 »
Sorry, has been asked 1000 times before; No, it is impossible to the best of my knowledge.

You can happily make billboard particles in a mission (from .paa), but since you have to provide an absolute path to .p3d files you can't use SpaceObject particles, sadly (if you give a relative path to a p3d, it assumes you want to find the p3d in a particular addon folder that isn't in your mission).
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:15:46 »
Hmmm... any way to maybe use the uninstall.log to parse a path to ArmA and use a format to spoof an absolute path?

Just thinking out loud.... In my short time in this community, I've seen some pretty amazing stuff! :D
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Vigilante

• Members
    • Vigilante Virtual Systems & Dynamics
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2009, 11:39:01 »
no, check the biki on how the engine loads everything inside addonfolders and makes one big file out of it, so no chance of on-the-fly additions to those things.
But if your friend did some nice FX, im sure he can do them with createVehicle "#particlesource" or the drop command qually well during runtime.
a.k.a. PhilippRauch

check out my Addon Wiki http://www.vigilante-systems.webs.com (WIP and outdated :P)
http://www.youtube.com/user/vigilante-systems

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2009, 19:04:31 »
You can happily make billboard particles in a mission (from .paa), but since you have to provide an absolute path to .p3d files you can't use SpaceObject particles, sadly (if you give a relative path to a p3d, it assumes you want to find the p3d in a particular addon folder that isn't in your mission).
Sorry, I got confused; you make billboards from p3ds and spaceObjects from objects. Thus, it is impossible to add any particles inside the mission.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)